4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

SVA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> (E)SVA / Cert of conformity queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 21:33    Post subject: SVA Reply with quote

I haven't bought my Delica yet but I hope to be getting one from the Japanese Import auction at Ferryhill,CoDurham in the next few weeks.It will need SVAing.Can anyone tell me what needs doing to get it through the SVA.I intend doing the work myself if that is possible.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 21:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

petemillis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Decker. Not a lot! Do a search on these forums and on www.POCUK.com for SVA and you'll get all the info.
Basics are
1 remove and disconnect front lamps
2 remove mirror on rear door
3 disconnect alarm
4 brake balance will need adjusting if it's a non ABS model as for Jap market it's biased much further to the rear than for UK
5 if you've got curtains, remove them and the curtain tracks
6 headlamp alignment will need checking
7 rear foglight will need to be fitted. Wiring for this muct be cable tied to the main wiring loom every 30cm
8 if you've got one of those parking aids clamped to the front bullbar, remove that as well.

Bullbars and sidesteps should be fine as they are part of the standard fitment.

I'm sure Sean on this forum can fill you in more seeing he's just gone and done it.
Sean McAndrew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically any standard equipment is okay, i.e. bullbars and sidesteps, as Pete says, should pose no problem.

I left my curtains up and they [VOSA] didn't say anything.

Don't forget to have a foglight fitted properly with a proper switch in the cab.

If you have ABS, like mine, check the warning light comes on and goes off at the turn of ignition. Mine didn't and it failed.

I put Halford's plastic door protection strips on the wind deflectors just to be sure. They cost about £3 and one pack was enough for the two door deflectors.

Remember if its over 10 years old then no need for an ESVA.

Keep as many fingers crossed as possible.

Seán

[/quote]
andyskis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it less daunting than i imagined....

Took mine (1994 PE8W) through Birmingham VOSA in February, i did the basics as i was advised to do.
Fit fog lamp to the rear with illuminating switch on the dash
Convert speedo to read MPH ( that was the first thing the tester checked on the rolling road )
Fit knob to the steering wheel - req'd if you send it thriugh SVA as class D ( D for disabled )

All other equipment was left std, curtains, parking aid on the bull bar and front fogs etc... as for the brakes his only comment during the test was an imbalance on the parking brake between left and right which was okay anyway when he checked the vehicle weight calculations etc.

Phew.... So basically i found the guy who did the test very reasonable, he checked everything but wasn't silly, he even told me the story about the guy who got out of the car on crutches because he'd booked it in as a disabled vehicle...... it's all right mate he said i know why youv'e fitted the knob to the stearing wheel.

Well thats my experience of taking a Delica for the SVA.

Andy. :D
Decker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies.They have helped a lot.

Decker. :D
Mr Bean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 14:17    Post subject: Is ESVA required for a 1995 2.8 then Reply with quote

I currently have a Delica (or so I have been told) sitting on the docks in Tokyo. It's a 1995 2.8 4WD. I'm not about the "4x4 with separate Chassis" - will I now need a model report on protective steering and if so, what exactly is that? I'm hoping SwanseaStu may know.
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there matey welcome to the club :D

If you contact pete millis here at the club he will probably be able to tell you exactly what you need to get through the SVA test,he can be contacted here http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27 if he doesn't reply before in this thread hope that helps

Marc 8)

Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest you somehow make it obvious how to remove the central console.

I understand they need to check behind it and there are some gorillas who end up breaking it, £85 to replace Evil or Very Mad

If you've got a simple tray at the top then remove it so they can see the two screws that need to be removed.

Follow up the threads elsewhere on the site about this.

Best of luck, you'll love the Delica Laughing
petemillis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Bean, you'll be fine. You do NOT need a model report as the vehicle was manufactured before 1 Jan 97. The protective steering report is NOT needed either as the Delica does NOT have a separate chassis.
A Delica model report report for Delicas manufactured after 1/1/97 is being prepared at the moment.
Any idea when your Delica is being shipped? There's been some delays due to a collision between two boats recently and it's putting things back.
Mr Bean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the reassurance. I was getting worried when I read the following comment on SVA UK Ltd web site about the change in regulations since April 1st 2004 which seems to imply that 4WD's like Delicas might be a special (expensive) case:

Quote:
okay, one more time from the top! – For a Japanese vehicle that was manufactured before 1st January 1997 all that is required to prove compliance with regulations is the Japanese de-registration document (unless it is a four wheel drive passenger vehicle). After that date you will still require the de-registration doc plus you will need the model report number that aligns to your model. A model report number could be obtained from an owner who had given VI permission to advertise the fact that it was available for “rent” or any other willing owner that you can find through other means. If one had not been carried out (or nobody wants you to know they have it) then you would need to have a test house carry out a noise and emission test. Once this had been done, and passed, then you could have your own model report to rent out!

So since April 1st, will the SVA process for my vehicle be any different than before? Also, my Delica will be shipped into Southampton. Have you/anyone had any experience with test houses around there such as SVA UK?

Finally, thanks also for the info about shipping. I didn't know about the collision. This explains why my Delica has now been waiting for a ship for about 3 weeks while I'm trying hard to be patient. I didn't like to whinge to the agent

Nick (Mr Bean)
petemillis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick. Nothing will change for your Delica. The 4x4 passenger vehicle thing has always been there and only relates to those with a separate ladder chassis (ie Pajeros and so on).
For SVA go to Triton Motor Services at Bournemouth International Airport. They'll do the MOT as well if you want. Provided you take out insurance on the chasiss number you'll be allowed to drive it to them once you've cleared customs. They're over £100 cheaper than SVA UK and they put back anything they remove for the test - unlike SVA UK who sling it all in a carboard box, lob it in your Delica and then leave you to find the screws they've dropped! I've had personal experience of both and know who I'm sticking with.
Re the collision - that was the first rumour. It's now changed to "a ship ran aground off Yokohama and took weeks to be refloated" which is apparently the more accurate version Laughing
Mr Bean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your advice which I will certainly take. I have got their details off the web.

Before I contact them, do you also recommend them for other things like fitting an immobiliser, undersealing and giving it a thorough service?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

PS This is a great site and many thanks to all you experienced contributors out there who are willing to help the rest of us through the mire.
petemillis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, I've never had Triton do a full service but I think members on the POCUK (Pajero Owners) part of the club have. For immbiliser you can't go wrong with one of the car hifi places or, dare I say it, Halfords, who charge £100 fitted and with an insurance approval certificate.
All the best
Pete
Mr Bean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete Laughing
cheet6hd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

petemillis wrote:
3 disconnect alarm

Hi Pete

How do you do this? sorry if its a stupid question, I have done all the rest on my one and just this final bit to complete for the ESVA.

Cheers

DaveC
petemillis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Marc from Shoreham might be better to answer this for you as he had to reconnect one that had been disconnected for the test. Luckilly I've always been alarm free so far!
cheet6hd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pete, didn't have one in the end! thought the remote key fob was a part of an alarm but I had no worries in the end.

Also! Just go my Deli through the ESVA, I'm so happy was very nervous about it failing on something as I did all the work myself, but all went very painlessly. Got it done at Shrewsbury testing station, Very good place (Well I would say that, they just passed my car Laughing )

Get the reg documents tomorrow, finally I get on the road.

Look out for a Deli in Shropshire with a Welsh flag on the back, I'm coming your way 8)
petemillis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one fella. How about doing a list of the bits of prep you had to do and posting it here for all to see?
G_Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prepared my Delica myself back in April and it passed frist time. It was a nervous time at the test station though.

The advice I was given was as follows:-

Remove front fog lamps

Remove any extras that do not have a 5mm radiused edge.

Remove curtains (I left the tracks in place as they are nicely radiused)

Cover seat belt mounting bolts with plastic covers (Rover 400 series fit perfectly and are available in grey)

Fit rear fog lamp with warning lamp on dash that can be seen at all times and not obstructed by the steering wheel. Wiring must be conduited and secured every six inches.

MPH speedo face fitted. The speedo must NOT under read the vehicle speed over reading is acceptable within limits.
I had mine MOT'd before the ESVA test to make sure the rest of the common parameters between the two tests were okay.

I had no problem with brake balance as the tester said the new regs ensured my Delica passed where it would not have prviously.

I hope this helps people.

Regards Mike Shocked

N.B. Each SVA station has its own potential Hitler present so be careful and show attention to detail.
cheet6hd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pete.

I was lucky with my Deli all I needed to do was:

1) Remove front fog lamps (SVA guy said you have to because of sharp edges and also the yellow glass)

2) Remove Rear reversing Mirror (but the SVA guy did say you don't always need to remove this, but if it saves you £30 for the re-test I thought I'd remove it!)

3) Install the rear fog light, I used this forum to help with that (thanks Marc) http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=223

4) I went for the change the speedo cover route rather than the electronic conversion! (reason was I tink the cover looks better, BUT be warned its no pretty to do and get it wrong and its mega bucks (PICS to follow)

I had no alarm in the end to remove/ disconnect, I also took it for an MOT first to see if all was well. Again my breaks needed nothing doing to them, But if you do they were looking for the front to lock up before the back!

Oh one more thing you may need to do is, is adjust your headlights, they might be to high! you have to take it in with a full tank of petrol, obviously lowers the back thus raising your lights, something to think about.

Another point nothing to do with the ESVA but don't on any circumstances twist the Grear stick if the O/D does not work when you first pick it up Embarassed it breaks it Laughing
then you need to follow these instructions to fix it: http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=478 and pics at: http://www.~.com/4images/details.php?image_id=72
thanks to Marc again and Pete for their help with this.

But all in all it was so painless, Shrewsbury SVA guys were very nice and helpful.

Thats my ESVA, looking forward to putting it through its paces now Twisted Evil

DaveC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> (E)SVA / Cert of conformity queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: