Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Fuel Pump Timing Marks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

new swear words were invented today......

several reasons...

1) that bolt at the rear of the pump for adjustment / removal...
I now know its located under the injector pipe unions... locate the centre of those four pipes, feel directly below a couple of inches and its there...

that was fidley but not a real problem.... if I do a pump again removal will take about an hour and a half.

2) there were numerous bolts just plain missing ! the garage had only put 2 of the 3 adjustment nuts on for example

3) I found a Snap On 14mm spanner in there ! thanks !

4) there is a pipe that should be on the rear diaphram on the pump... plain not there !

5) bolts that were there were just hand tight or loose

Anyway....

finaly found the timing marks, the pump needs to be withdrawn to find them..

and they were miles out !

I had to leave so Chris has a pump ready and waiting to be re-fitted and timed..
I have marked some timing marks you can see from the front to allow checking of the timing when fitted.

Light is at the end of the tunnel !
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 15:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

deli newby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark can you set aside some time when ur back please to refit the pump, Steve did'nt know how it came out so he would have found it hard to replace with all the trouble we had.

We are very greatful for all help recieved off steve and mark and everyone else who has offered advice.

It makes us feel a bit better that it might soon be back on the road after four months of sitting in the cowboy garage well that really is an insult to cowboys,

We will be on the phone to trade and standards first thing see were we stand in getting a refund,

Mark i will take the pictures tomorrow for you and send them via e-mail i got your e-mail address.

thanks and ps mark sorry if you got in to much trouble  Embarassed   Wink  tell the wife it was my fault and am sorry Laughing
deli newby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 4 wheel drive pipe that goes to intercooler thing is missing to mark and i am inventing even more swear words sitting here thinking just how bad we have been taken 4 a ride by the engine place and the garage just glad there maybe a small light at the end of the tunnel now thanks to this site and its members
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem

I thought that may be the case,
having taken it off its an easy enough job,
but without seeing how it came off your working blind...

While its off.....

keep it clean and cover the injectors and the hole were the pump goes to keep much and dust out
deli newby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve said he will call across when ur doing it to help and see how it goes
YOZA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clearer photo fo the notched tooth.
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/lubabailey/Mobile%20Uploads/2020-02/3EEFDE2A-04F2-4672-8A5C-AE22FDABE7B4_zpsm2sdfcnf.jpg
YOZA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a picture of the marks on the backing plate.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/lubabailey/Mobile%20Uploads/2020-02/EA5B82F1-9CED-45A5-A6D0-592F55CD1627_zpsejttnwdc.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/lubabailey/Mobile%20Uploads/2020-02/2D58AAD1-8805-40E1-8D51-EEF0E065CF9B_zpsvixy86hg.jpg
Bluemerlin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just doing this myself, those photobucket links appear to be dead.

I thought i had everything correct, but it doesn't fire.
mark3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all the basics are right, fuel system bled correctly, which really isn't hard to do lol, pump the primer until its firm and thats it, no need to undo injector pipes from injectors, literally there is no point... make sure all the electrical connections are good and if it still won't fire and assuming it was running before it'll be a pump timing issue.....

I've done this job over 1000 times, literally  Shocked  1135 to be exact  Very Happy  and i only ever used the manufacturers marks the first few times as they are so dam hard to see you'll be lucky to get it right first time PLUS the workshop manual in paper or online is incorrect about where to set the engine for TDC

The problem when loosing the timing is getting it back again, it'll mean pump removal a few times, the last time i lost it back in 2011 it took me 17 attempts over 3 days to get it right...... good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know where they went - here are some more.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/lubabailey/804A3306-A3BC-474C-A7CB-E7412272FEC9_zps2lrfmuo1.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/lubabailey/EB297304-D3FA-441C-9180-9B6242B2F013_zpsy6bn6cea.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/lubabailey/1A8998DE-2CE8-4C8F-BDC3-E2B6EB755FFA_zpsmaumf5ie.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv188/lubabailey/C1230EEC-80E6-4E62-84FB-8217B23F4F90_zpszpms01zu.jpg

(oversize image(s) regrettably converted to url link(s), as per:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38592
Max usable pixel width is 800. Admin)

mark3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clear pics  Very Happy  trouble is when its inserted they're bloody impossible to see clearly so you only know for sure if its in the right place when you try to fire it up  Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark3 wrote:
Check all the basics are right, fuel system bled correctly, which really isn't hard to do lol, pump the primer until its firm and thats it, no need to undo injector pipes from injectors, literally there is no point... make sure all the electrical connections are good and if it still won't fire and assuming it was running before it'll be a pump timing issue.....

I've done this job over 1000 times, literally  Shocked  1135 to be exact  Very Happy  and I only ever used the manufacturers marks the first few times as they are so dam hard to see you'll be lucky to get it right first time PLUS the workshop manual in paper or online is incorrect about where to set the engine for TDC

The problem when loosing the timing is getting it back again, it'll mean pump removal a few times, the last time I lost it back in 2011 it took me 17 attempts over 3 days to get it right...... good luck.

Thanks Mark, yes it was bled correctly, this was following a head replacement and some chain issues, I'm confident the TDC and cams are aligned correctly, however I'm not sure if the pump might be 180 degrees out now.
YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark3 wrote:

I've done this job over 1000 times, literally  Shocked   1135 to be exact Very Happy  and I only ever used the manufacturers marks the first few times as they are so dam hard to see you'll be lucky to get it right first time.

It should have been 1136 and that would have saved my hair falling out.

Glad to see you are back out and about.  Very Happy
mark3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If id had done that trip it would had been 1144 and me with hypothermia  Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured the pump timing today with the gauge, the manual said it needs to get to 1mm and it only got to 0.29mm, even with full adjustment it only got to 0.4mm.

I think I must have the wrong tooth, it's really not clear which one it is. with it starting to raise to 0.3 would you say it's one out or am I miles away?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: