Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Rear speaker advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soopahfly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 21:54    Post subject: Rear speaker advice Reply with quote

I've raided the garage for my old ICE stuff, and fortunatly it looks like its all going to fit.
I've replaced the front speakers with a set of 6.5" JBL's and I've got a set of Infinity reference 9603i 6x9's.

The 6x9's have a mounting depth of 80mm, I've read that the max mounting depth is 75mm on the L400.
Is there enough space in front of the speaker to space it out 5mm to get the clearance?  If there isn't enough room all round, is there enough at the top to space the top to just try and get clearance that way?

Thanks in advance!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 21:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

The_Ormston

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sit in the back seat (very back) and pull the cloth cover that hides teh rear speaker, it comes off.  You have to push/pull it the right way, but it does eventually pop off.

You can then see the front of the speaker, and the top mounting points.  From this you should be able to measure if you can add that 5mm.

The trouble is getting to the bottom two bolts, thats when you take half the insides apart.

Chris
soopahfly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a go and report back.  Having replaced the front speakers for JBL's, my friend handed me a box with Infinity 6.5's so I'm going to take the door cards off and have another swap.  Be nice to have Infinity's all round.  

One thing I've learned, Infinity and JBL are both made by Harmann in Vietnam!

Is it worth just disconnecting the dash speakers?  I'm going to be amping the fronts, rears and have a sub also, so I don't know how much abuse some 10cm's can take!  The Vibe Slick 40's in the cinq needed gluing after I gave them a pounding.  They were amped too.
spirals

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on? I fitted the same speakers at the weekend. Though I read on the forum that the stock speakers have a mounting depth of 75mm I found it was actually less and there was no way the Infinitys would fit.

Instead I've surface mounted them. I removed cloth from top section (glue residue came off with meths) and used the fitting template to carefully mark out cut outs and screw holes on the bottom and top panels so that the screws line up with original steel mount holes. Jigsawed out (on the bench, not in situ!) and mounted speakers using supplied Infinity bolts and original mount holes. New bolts are slimmer guage (8s I think rather than original 10s) and I thought I'd need the supplied clips but got excellent purchase without using them. Took a little patience to get it right but happy with the results.

The vertical curve of the top cloth section panel means there's a small gap at the top of about 6mm but it's barely noticeable. The surrounds (which are fairly generous) cover the square hole on the forward edge of the top panel and the speakers sound great for not having all that plastic in the way. Still plenty of clearance for rear seats in horizontal or upwards position.

Might not be ideal if you've got small, bored fingers riding in the back who like poking cones...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: