Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

APRS?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I so stick mine in the motor when off on longer drives, but don't seem to hear the truckers as much.  I heard that they have moved onto PMR466 systems.  Its a shame as its still a good bit of kit for warning other drivers of traffic holdups due to accidents or even the location of the bears with kodaks.

I have a CB, but I don't tend to even turn it on... for the truckers I listen to their VHF comms more now, but those are technically illegal in the province I'm in... doesn't stop them from using them though, because they're allowed in the next province over, and the truckers don't seem to know that just because the radio is in the truck doesn't make it legal.
It does have the upside though that it gets away from most of the foul language of CB...
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

crosscountrywireless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi green1,

I've not checked the forum in a while but I also run APRS from my Delica. Look out for either G4HYG-9 on 144.8 MHz or G4HYG-10 on 10.1492 MHz.

Chris, G4HYG
skyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from memory that there was once a contact from the UK to Australia on 10m (28 Mhz) using only 28mwatts.

A for a piece of string!

I once heard two Cber’s talking, first one giving the other 5/9 for a signal report the other only returning with 4’s.

The first one then stated that the difference in signal strength could be from the fact that “he was nearer to the other” than the “other was to him”?

Could not find the mic to reply due to the water flooding out of my eyes. :D  :D

On a side note why do we ham’s say 73’s and 88’s at the end.

As 73 is Best wishes how do you say 73’s       “Best wishes’s” :D

So 73's and (88's only to the ladies  Embarassed)
green1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On a side note why do we ham’s say 73’s and 88’s at the end.

well... I noticed both the poster and myself don't pluralize the allready plural... unfortunately a lot of hams do.. I cringe when I hear it on the air!

As for Chris... being that I'm all the way over in Canada I won't be hearing you directly, but I can always punch you up on da inter-web ;)
(though you appear to be having some locational challenges... I found you under 5 different calls (1, 2, 9, 10 on top of your base call) and not 2 in the same place!)

good to see some other APRS equipped Delicas around!

73 DE VE6RAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite right about me being "locationally challenged"!

My home is in Bolton, Lancs but I'm working near Cambridge. Unfortunately there are no VHF digipeaters within range of Cambridge so I can only get out on 30m or via the International Space Station when I'm staying near Cambridge.

At home I run a 2m and 30m Igate MB7UBN with a 2m Igate for the ISS G4HYG-1. In the Delica I use an OT-2 tracker that can also be set up as a digipeater. I've also got a configuration where APRS packets received from the ISS digipeater on 145.825 MHz can be relayed to the terrestrial network on 144.800 MHz.

The trouble with APRS is that it can take over your life!

Chris, G4HYG
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyman wrote:

I once heard two Cber’s talking, first one giving the other 5/9 for a signal report the other only returning with 4’s.

The first one then stated that the difference in signal strength could be from the fact that “he was nearer to the other” than the “other was to him”?

Rolling Eyes He was probably facing in the wrong direction as well!  Laughing

crosscountrywireless wrote:

The trouble with APRS is that it can take over your life!

Sounds a bit like this website!  Laughing

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
tttonyyy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contemplated APRS for a previous vehicle.  There's also a JAVA web interface that can be run too, so web users can see the position of various vehicles overlayed on a map.

But the thing that put me off was that you'd be advertising the fact that you have lots of expensive gear in your car, and giving its exact position for all to see!
green1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the thing that put me off was that you'd be advertising the fact that you have lots of expensive gear in your car, and giving its exact position for all to see!

but if done right, it's an amazing way of recovering the car too...

"Police, how can we help?" "I'd like to report a stolen vehicle, it's currently westbound on 2nd street at 3rd ave... "

(there was an actual case here in Alberta of a radio operator's car being stolen the day after he installed APRS... when he reported it and gave the location there was a police car less than a block away and the vehicle was recovered very quickly!)

Think about all the expensive toys many people put in their vehicles anyway, satnav, big stereos, DVD players, etc etc... this stuff isn't nearly as valuable (may be expensive, but it's fairly specialized gear)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 16:41    Post subject: APRS and D-Star Reply with quote

APRS is even being done by the new D-Star radios like the Icom 2820 using its own digital format instead of the analog system that APRS uses at the moment, thus giving greater distance if used on simplex and can report your location nationaly or anywhere in the world if the repeater is linked to the net.
notty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a CB which had 6 blocks, it was a Colt DTX something with a skew-iff 'roger bleep' that bled onto many other channels.

it was great fun in those days ( about 17 years ago ) and wish to get nack involved but it seems as though technolgy is driving it into another dimension which i won't be able to understand.....just like reading the posts before mine....I'm now not understanding......aaaah  bring back the CB without any technolgy.

I met my missus on the CB radio also when we used to 'eyeball' all and sundy...was love at first site....still is in fact...everyday i wake up and see her i renew those memories....

Notty
notty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

axcuse mi speelin misteaks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: