4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Fixed!..Knocking and smoking solved!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kustom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:52    Post subject: Fixed!..Knocking and smoking solved! Reply with quote

Just came back from the Mitsubishi Dealer and they had a look at my car...It was indeed the EGR Valve...The car was smoking and knocking when you accelerate from 0 to 20km...There was a "dip"in the trottle and then came an knock and some grey and black smoke.
So the mechanic took just the vacuum hose of and closed it!...That's it! No blanking plate nothing...The car drives fine now...
I still concidering buying a new EGR valve ( 135 euro) and put that on the car again. The gaskets are very cheap!! (1.25 a piece original Mitsubishi!!)
So now is the Question..Buy a new egr of leave it as it is now!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bensonsnuts
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is okay now why fix something that isn't broken . Plenty of people blank it off as an improvement anyway . :D
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

blanking off a faulty EGR is better than a bust one,

but the system is designed to work with it in place, I'd want to know what casued it to fail,
the nornal reason for EGR failure is carbon build up caused by a problem some were else.

If the Delica was my main form of transport I'd fix the EGR as its designed to reduce combustion chamber temperature
this helps emissions but is good for the pistons.

A mate of mine works with various commercial vehicles and has seen a few problems with vehicles who have bypassed the EGR.
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So the mechanic took just the vacuum hose of and closed it!...That's it! No blanking plate nothing...The car drives fine now... "

so the valve is FINE...just let me say that again THE VALVE IS FINE..if it wasn't it would still smoke, but your throttle position switch is likely on the way out OR badly adjusted....

the vacume pipe opens the EGR under microprocessor control, the microprocessor reads the TPS to Know what the throttle position is and therefore what the EGR should be doing - essential under boost the egr should be CLOSED...

if you adjust the TPS as has been discussed it fools the engine into thinking the throttle is less open than it really....so the EGR opens far later than it should - and you get smoke! that adjustment should only be used with a BLANKED (or disabled) EGR

The valve is FINE....don't waste your money check your TPS instead
dagutter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

kick whats the tps rating ? with the plate in place and without it??
mine has been blanked since i got it
a while back i took it off and cleaned it , not too bad inside it but it produced a lot of smoke is this because i didn't alter the tps??
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

well with the EGR disabled it people say to aim for .7-.8 volts - i ran this and the gear changes are smooth and no smoke, the standard adjustment EGR enabled seems to be about 1.4 volts....i had mine at .7 ish, rebuilt the EGR and it smoked like a pig, put it back to 1.4 and no smoke...

no discernible difference in economy either way!

it may vary I guess, i would say a GOOD way to set it up IF you have EGR is adjust it down until you smoke like Destroyer  then move it up a bit!

if the TPS has been adjusted down and you unblank it it WILL smoke like Marlborough's man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> EGR Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: