4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

can't here the click anymore!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rumble_box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 20:13    Post subject: can't here the click anymore! Reply with quote

Hello all, i am a new member, and please can someone help? When we bought our Delica, the bloke told me to listen for the "click" before turning the key all the way. Everythings been fine for the last six weeks, but now i have no "click" and our lovely funbus takes longer to start in the mornings and liked to belch lots of exhaust on finally starting. Any advice apprecciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 20:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rikyuu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the glow plugs aren't being energised, does it cough and splutter too?

May be the fuse or relay has blown. Can't be much more help I'm afraid.
Rumble_box

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi! thanks for the reply. it starts after about three trys, then i can hear an on/off clicking from the area by the rear heater controls. This seems to stop when i get going. The Delica runs like a dream, and starts on the button for the rest of the day. I think there may be a relay somewhere for warming up the glowplugs, but i'm not sure.( I need to send off for an english manual). I don't mind having a go and doing some investigating, but i'm not sure where to start?
I know i have to sort this before the cold weather comes, or i will just drag down the battery.
thanks!
DRB-IT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumble Box said "I think there may be a relay somewhere for warming up the glowplugs, but i'm not sure."

There is such a relay. In fact there are 2 of them and you are sitting on them when driving. Slide the drivers seat forward and behind it there is an inspecton panel closed by a wing nut. (You need to fold back a flap in the carpet to see this.) Under the panel is the air filter etc. and fitted to the back wall there are 2 relays.(I think only 2) Anyway if there is more than 2, 2 of them are used for the preheat plugs. As I recollect one of them is used to supply a high voltage (direct or near direct battery volts) prior to engine start and then the other one supplies pulses at a lower voltage once the engine is running. The second one would appear to be okay as you say you can hear a clicking noise once the engine has startred.
If you have a volt meter you can connect to the aluminium strip that runs along the side of the valve gear cover and when you switch the ignition on you should get a reading. The actual reading will depeng on the preheat plugs you have and it will be from about 7 volts to about 11 volts. This voltage is only there for a short period again depending on the preheat plugs you have. Once the engine is running if it is cold the voltage will come and go until the engine reaches a certain temperature.
Hope this helps.

Dave
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the relay was to click when the engine has warmed up enough to start, are you sure the glow plugs are working at all :?

If it was me I'ld check the glow plugs before I start pulling relays out :|
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Rumble_box

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Dave. As soon as i get a chance, i will try out the tests you have suggested. I have a multimeter. Do i set it for DC and take the neg. form the strip and connect live to the relay? Also do i need to do this test on the first start of the day? Sorry to be so thick about this, but i don't want to blow anything. Thanks! andrew.
Rumble_box

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers OLDSKOOL BEAT, the relay don't click on starting throughout the day, only on the cold morning start. Thanks Andrew.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT GAS BOILERS AND COMBIS THAN CARS!! THOSE I CAN FIX!
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumble_box wrote:
The relay don't click on starting throughout the day, only on the cold morning start.

Hi again Andrew,
The glowplugs sometimes only work in the morning when the engine is its coldest, depends on the engine temp throughout the day when starting weather the plugs operate or not :?
So you may not always get the click :?
Although this will not surfice weather the plug are working or knackered Rolling Eyes
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Dave C

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

the alu strip should be the live to glow pluga the neg should be on engine or at battery - then check at relay if no reading ,if you get reading at strip remove glow plugs and see if they get hot if you can sort a combi youll be alright corgi34483
DRB-IT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rumble Box, Sorry I didn't get back to you before. Dave C's info is correct but you don't need to remove the glow plugs to check them. Get a headligt bulb and a piece of wire. Connect one end of the wire to 1 conection of the headlight bulb. Remove the aluminium strip from the top of the glowplugs. Connect or hold the free end of the piece of wire to the battery positive terminal. Touch the spare connection of the headlight bulb to the tip of the screw tread on each of the glowplugs in turn. (Mind your fingers, the bulb gets hot!) If the bulb glows good and bright the glowplug is okay, if the bulb glows dimly or not at all it is shot. This way you can quickly check the glow plugs and you only have to remove any that might be faulty.
Hope that makes sense.

Dave.
Dave C

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thinking
Rumble_box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! for all the advice, DRB_IT, DAVE C (corgi194648) AND OLDSKOOL BEAT, i will get to work as soon as i get some spare time in the daylight (probably on Sunday). will post reply with my findings.
Andrew. :D
Rumble_box

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!!!. On finaly getting around to carrying out the tests suggested (thanks again for the help), i first of all checked the tightness of the nuts on the top of the glowplugs, i found that the connection from the relay was a bit loose ( probably from the recent overhaul on the head that i had done). Anyway now i can hear a click on turning the ignition, and a second click after a short while, once the plugs are heated. (just like it used to be). I did the test anyway and found that i had a reading of nine volts, while the relay was open. The Delica started immediately. I suppose the lesson here, is to check the obvious first! (easy once others have pointed you in the right direction!)
cheers to all!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: