4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

The French say NON!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:50    Post subject: The French say NON! Reply with quote

Help, going round in circles down in France.
Its a very, very, very long story but to cut it short, we are on the last stage (hopefully) of registering our second Delica here in France.  
Can anyone give us information concerning the weights of the vehicle.  
Its a 1997 Space Gear- Super Exceed, Chassis n° PE8W, engine 4M40.
We have weighed the vehicle when empty.
Front axle = 1250kg / Rear axle = 950kg / Total weight = 2200kg.
I have contacted every Mitsubishi head office around the world. Japan have given me the following information.
Front axle = 1380kg (with passengers)/ Rear axle = 1115kg (with passengers) /Total weight = 2495kg.(with passengers).
This only gives a payload of 295kg (ie three people, no baggage, no trailer). Hence we have been told to take out all the seats. (like yeah).
I need the maximum payload and the distribution of this on the front and rear axles.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Spotted a Delica here (down in the LOT near Cahors) a few weeks ago, was it Paul & Jennie from our home town of Birmingham. blob1
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Bob Ellison
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayne.  :D

According to the owner's handbook:

Super Exceed 2.8ltr Diesel =

Weight unladen - 2060kg
Gross weight - 2445kg

I'm not sure of the individual axle weight. Someone else will know that.

:D
MDOCUK LTM No 101
POCUK LTM No 19
jayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your fast reply, but it just confirms my problem.  Your figures only give a maximum weight of 385kg difference from unladen to gross.
johnny diamond

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tell them its far suprior to the renault espace :D
in fact the problem with the Delica is that it carries to much weight with the four wheel drive/axles Rolling Eyes can you not remove the seats to comply and refit afterwards Question
jayne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree about the Renault!
Have thought of taking the seats out just to keep this guy happy,(Mr Jobsworth) but worried this would effect the assurance.
johnny diamond

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose it comes down to what you actualy need/size of family etc,
my rearmost seats have been removed and stored in the spare bedroom as i usualy carry my fishing gear/toolbox/dog and so on,and prefer it this way :D
RichardK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Ellison wrote:
Hi Jayne.  :D

According to the owner's handbook:

Super Exceed 2.8ltr Diesel =

Weight unlaiden - 2060kg
Gross weight - 2445kg

I'm not sure of the individual axle weight. Someone else will know that.

Does that really mean you can only have a couple of hundred Kg in the car?! I suspect I'll not be keeping it if it really isn't actually designed to carry any weight at all...

"Osiris" - Citroën C6 HDi
Plus A-class and MX5 shared.
Bob Ellison
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

350-400kg is quite a bit of stuff. If you need to carry really big weight then maybe you'll have to get the rear springs 'beefed' up and the rear axle re-certified.

Razz   :D
MDOCUK LTM No 101
POCUK LTM No 19
jayne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just been out to look at the constructors plaque for exact info, and see that on line 4 it reads "Trans axle V4A51  4636"  could this "4636" be the maximum kg I'm looking for. Anyone any ideas? :?
jayne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has just registered his renault clio here. His weight of unladen vehicle is 935kg - maximum permissible laden 1535kg. a difference of 600kg. (distributed between 5 passengers, available seat space). Question
RichardK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Ellison wrote:
350-400kg is quite a bit of stuff. If you need to carry really big weight then maybe you'll have to get the rear springs 'beefed' up and the rear axle re-certified.

Razz   :D

Heh! I usually keep them for a year or two, I just have a lot of cars at once. Currently I've got four (and the Delica is only because my 850 fell apart, it wasn't a good purchase).

400Kg, but 7 seats (I'm ignoring the 8th one as it looks like it'd support a small dog at best). I weigh 80Kg. I'm concerned that full of people will be "too much" for it Sad

"Osiris" - Citroën C6 HDi
Plus A-class and MX5 shared.
Bob Ellison
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is with the Delica being a private car and not a commercial vehicle. A two ton van should be able to carry more than just a third of a ton.
A basic 30cwt Transit can carry over a ton.
The LWB Delica is used as a delivery van in Japan so it must have some sort of carrying capacity.

BUT, if the Delica is actually a 2WD van converted into a 4WD MPV then most of the running gear and the 'comfort' will take up the weight allowance.

The rear axle weight on my 1990 Pajero is 1600kg. I've had 20 x 25kg stock feed sacks (and more) in the back a few times. It carried a JCB engine back from York once.
The Paj doesn't have all the refinery like a Delica though.

It's a bit of a puzzler.  dontknow

MDOCUK LTM No 101
POCUK LTM No 19
Bob Ellison
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found the axle weights for my 1994 L400 (I knew I'd read it somewhere  Embarassed )

On my export certificate it says:
Front axle - 1250kg
Rear axle - 830kg

Weight - 2080kg
Gross weight - 2465kg

I don't think that's what you wanted to read Jayne.  Sad

MDOCUK LTM No 101
POCUK LTM No 19
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayne wrote:
Have just been out to look at the constructors plaque for exact info, and see that on line 4 it reads "Trans axle V4A51  4636"  could this "4636" be the maximum kg I'm looking for. Anyone any ideas? :?

The numbers show the axle code and the rear set of four numbers '4636' means the rear diff ratio is 4.636:1

The V4A51 transmission was also used in the Montero Sport from 1999 and later.

NOTE: The 4636 is the axle ratio for a 2WD Deli, which has a substantially different gross weight to the 4WD Deli.

Can you please advise all the code letters and numbers on the ID plate, so the correct specs can be worked out?

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jayne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis,

ID Plate reads:

Model n° KD-PE8W-HSEXF2
chassis: PE8W - xxxxxxxx
engine:4M40  EXT-GH6K
Trans axle:V4A51 4636
colour Int: G89A37

does that help, I hope so.  We know the vehicle can take the strain. Our other Deli (1989 Star Wagon) is used by my husband for work and he has no problems in loading it up.  It goes on and on and on.  When we got this passed here, the guy (same one) didn't ask for the weights. thanks for everyones help. hope we can get to the bottom of it.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the production specs it is a full 4WD vehicle and not a 2WD, they changed the transmission specs in 1996.

Model n° KD-PE8W-HSEXF2    = 4WD Super Exceed 2800TD Crystal Light Roof (produced after June 1996)
chassis: PE8W - xxxxxxxx
engine:4M40  EXT-GH6K        = Engine Model 4M40 Vehicle exterior code GH6K = Curb Weight 2060Kg
Trans axle:V4A51 4636          =  V4A51 (See Below) Rear axle final reduction = 4.636:1
colour Int: G89A37                =  G89 - ASTORIA GREEN  /  A37 - LEGATO GRAY

Vehicle Weight                       = 2060Kg
Vehicle Weight Gross              = 2445Kg

Its interesting to note that had it been a Long wheel base the curb weight would have been 2150 Kg and the Gross weight 2310Kg, which iindicates a Long Wheel Base is designed to carry less weight, though has more luggage space!  I've had a quick word with a mate, who wears a blue uniform, who says that if the back end is not dragging and does not appear to be overloaded then there would be no reason to assume a vehicle was overloaded. So if you upgrade your rear springs to take account of the weight it should be okay.  But I would prefer if Joned or Chiefie commented on that aspect as they are more in the know about DVLA/VOSA rules.

This transmission is the electronically controlled one fitted to the Montero 3.0L and 3.5Litre Sport.  It appears to have been fitted to Deli's after June 96. Probably to use up excess Montero ones prior to the introduction of the new 1997 spec Delica.

I have managed to locate some tech and electrical connection info here, with pictures, on it which is in 2 parts, you could print it off for future use, the links are here:-

Mitsubishi Montero Sport R4A51 V4A51 Part 1
Mitsubishi Montero Sport R4A51 V4A51 Part 2

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to bear in mind the sort of weight the interior already carries in relation to seats and extra's.

The rear seats weight around 18Kg each and the middle row considerable more than twice that.  Then there's the two air conditioning units, spare wheel, 75Litres fuel tank, et etc, Taking a look at the amount of stuff Bruce stripped out of the L300 Mud Monkey gives you and idea of where the weight allowance has already been taken up for it:-

ルイス
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering.....

is the Net and gross weight the dry and kerb weight ?

i.e. weight with no fluids and then weight with all fluids, e.g. Fuel, oils, water, windscreen wash etc ???
Bob Ellison
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought Mark but apparently not.
The rear axle tare is only 830kg. All the fancy gubbins takes quite a bit of that up.

MDOCUK LTM No 101
POCUK LTM No 19
jayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Seems I have definitely got a debate going on here, even here in France.  
I went into Mitsubishi, Cahors (our region) explained our confusion, with understanding the weights (is it a van, is it a Monospace seven seats, no it seems to confuse everyone as to why it should be any different to the say ...Renault Espace...)  
The nice guy in Mitsubishi went through the weights with me and said to calculate the said three person weight of 2495kg (allowance of approx 385kg ie; 128kg per person, by another four persons and give Mr jobsworth this total, plus the approx towing weight) forgot all the figures, have them written down somewhere.  

So next job is to see what happens when I give Mr jobsworth this info!
The guys at Mitsubishi thought it was crazy, but they really liked the motor. flower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: