2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Tyre pressure/fuel economy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 13:24    Post subject: Tyre pressure/fuel economy Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know what the ideal tyre pressure fis or my Delica L400 2.8TD should be and what sort of mpg would you expect to get ? I've had it over 2 years and it only does about 250 miles to the tank.. ..Is this reasonable? I've just joined the club and the information /help so far has been great..thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 13:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bensonsnuts
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit low . I generally get about 300 miles between fill-ups  :?
Foxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it does depend a lot on how you drive it though????
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of info posts on tyre pressure, but you may find this lot worth reading:-

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16621&highlight=tyre+pressure

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Vinnie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Lewis...
andyj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep i can vouch for the -10% rule mine are running at 49psi max tyre pressure 55  .. and the mpg improved by miles..esp on long runs

30psi is when i use to off road Smile
notty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got mine at 30 psi all round.....someone tell me I'm wrong and correct me ta

notty
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

notty wrote:
I've got mine at 30 psi all round.....someone tell me I'm wrong and correct me ta

notty

Well you could try reading the posts in the linked forum shown in my post above.  Rolling Eyes

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
notty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did that's why i got confused. I'm sure I was told 32 or less all round somewhere along the lines....

notty
notty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

One says using 28 , other says 33, other says 49. I don't off road AS YET ! ...not long...getting hungry for it.....but on 30 all round....please advise ta

notty
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hmm Yes!  okay!  Lets try to simplify things.  First though I will state that I Run Marshal 235/75R15's, Max Pressure stated on tyre = 50psi.  I have then at 42psi on and off road, unless in very soft ground or deep snow (see Off-road Use).

Road Use

I will simply put a post by Stouffer, extracted from elsewhere:-

Stouffer wrote:

This one taken from the Wheel & Tyre Bible?...................

The Max. Pressure -10% theory.

Every tyre has a maximum inflation pressure stamped on the side somewhere. This is the maximum pressure the tyre can safely achieve under load. It is not the pressure you should inflate them to. Having said this, I've given up using the door pillar sticker as my starting point and instead use the max.pressure-10% theory. According to the wags on many internet forums you can get the best performance by inflating them to 10% less than their recommended maximum pressure (the tyres, not the wags - they already haves inflated egos). It's a vague rule of thumb, and given that every car is different in weight and handling, it's a bit of a sledgehammer approach. But from my experience it does seem to provide a better starting point for adjusting tyre pressures. So to go back to my Subaru Impreza example, the maximum pressure on my Yokohama tyres is 44psi. 10% of that is 4.4, so 44-4.4=39.6psi which is about where I ended up. On my Element, the maximum pressure is 40psi so the 10% rule started me out at 36psi. I added one more to see what happened and it got better. Going up to 38psi and it definitely went off the boil, so for my vehicle and my driving style, 37psi on the Element was the sweet spot.

Off-road Use

Soft & Slippery Surfaces

Slippery surfaces give reduced grip for the tyres, ie: the vehicle tends to spin the wheels on the spot. Soft surfaces (sand & snow) can allow the wheels to dig themselves a deep pit that is to high to climb out of.  When off-road if your wheels start to slip on a soft surface stop and change into 4HLc or 4LLc, keeping the engine revs low, with the HOLD switch on, to save digging up the surface.

When driving in mud first attempt to use your normal tyre pressure. Reducing the tyre pressure lets the tyre give a larger area footprint, like a polar bears foot on snow, or a camels on sand.  A pressure of 10-20PSi is sufficient for a Deli in soft loose sand or snow.  When tyre are reduced to this sort of pressure you must always drive slow, with extra caution when turning or on a slight sideways gradient, otherwise the tyre may come off the wheel rim.  As soon as you get back onto a hard surface you should re-inflate the tyre to normal pressure, taking into account that normal pressure is read with the tyres cold in in use they are warm to hot.  Don't be tempted to use inner tubes as these can affect the seating of tubeless tyres.

Mud

When driving in mud first attempt to use your normal tyre pressure. High speed may help you get through, provided it is in a straight line with no hidden obstacles.

Snow
Before starting off ensure the exhaust pipe is clear of snow as well as the windscreens and bonnet air vent.  Leave tyres at normal pressure, unless that causes wheel to spin, then reduce pressure as I said above.  Use 4WD 4HLc.  Drive slow, don't accelerate too fast and take corners easy. Chains can be useful and in some countries mandatory.  On a Deli they should only go on the rear wheels (As stated in the Deli manual).

Rivers

Use normal tyre pressure and try not to go through water that is more than half way up your tyre, unless you are experienced and your vehicle has been prepared for it.  Eg no leaky diffs etc as water can get in them as easily as oil can get out and it will stuff the diffs up.  Drive straight across and up & down river banks. Don't drive against a current. set off using the gear required to get up the opposite bank, do not stop, do not change gear.  When out of the water depress the brake pedal a few times to help them dry out.

Note: If you have ABS fitted and you brake hard then you may get a juddering effect through the brake pedal.  Don't worry its normal and at least it lets you know the system is working properly.

HTH?

ルイス
notty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting information thankyou. I've copied and pasted for future use.

I've just been down to Sainsbury's and filled my tyres to 47 psi. Tool about 2 minutes each tyre too....knees killing me now and then a downpour happened whilst kneeling there on the concrete. Got soaked.

My Deli drove very nicely home. The steering is extra light and extremely sensitive.

I have Grandrtrek AT2 tryes all round. I read on the trye rim 50 psi cold and 50 psi hot. Couldn't quite make out what the max tyre pressure is because the tyres were wet and getting wetter by the second with all the rain I had. The air and vac in sainsbury's has trees overhanging it even though it's just about under the canopy of the forecourt but manages to threw a lot of water into the area.

My Deli seems almost 2 inches taller now.....I wish I knew what height they are supposed to be?

My local shopping centre has free car parks all round but has barriers saying 2.2 metres everywhere.

What is the actual official height of one of these monsters?

notty
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

notty wrote:
I've just been down to Sainsbury's and filled my tyres to 47 psi. Tool about 2 minutes each tyre too....knees killing me now and then a downpour happened whilst kneeling there on the concrete. Got soaked.

* Praying for Rain?   Laughing

notty wrote:
What is the actual official height of one of these monsters?

Unmodified height =  2.060 metres

ルイス
notty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get under any barriers around here. We've got a local boating lake and he barrier is 6 feet 8 and I get stuck underneath with about 3 feet oif vehicle to go........
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'8"=2.025  Metres  Laughing

ルイス
notty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out to measure mine and it seems a tiny bit off 7 feet high so getting under any barriers around here is impossible.

thanks for the help

going to make a complaint to local shopping centre now

notty
notty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just measured the Deli, it comes in at 7 feet 3 which is 2.20 metres.

Nothing has been lifted. Maybe its the tyres?

notty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: