Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Lower Wishbone & Ball Joint - members input wanted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the big hexagonal one that is on all of them, that is partly a locating nut so you put the correct one on the correct side of the vehicle. The nut goes facing towards the front. The nut then adjusts against a bump stop on the wheel casting to set the maximum angle the wheel will turn in to, so that the tyres don't rub on the chassis or anti-roll bar.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Tue May 01, 2018 9:46; edited 2 times in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 19:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ricke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part number that you have there Lewis for the Milners unit is the Front right lower ball joint for a Mitsubishi Pajero Mk 2

Ricke
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricke wrote:
The part number that you have there Lewis for the Milners unit is the Front right lower ball joint for a Mitsubishi Pajero Mk 2

Ricke

Yep!

They use the same item for Paj's, Shoguns and Deli's in their parts booklets.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
markie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lewis  I replaced mine 2 weeks ago and they were the same as your original.hope this helps
L400 1995 2.8 td exceed
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old chestnuts but..... Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  

here we are a mere 2 and a bit months and 1827 miles down the road from me fitting mine and they are totally trashed.
Taken loads of pics, call in with Milners, awaiting response...might post a couple of pics if I can remember / work out how (see fuel filter thread efforts  Embarassed .
Milners on about replacement rubbers - me insisting on full refund and purchasing Mitsi ones.....we'll see  Crying or Very sad
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was a fruitful bank holiday Sunday spent swapping all 4 ball joints. Milners have agreed to a full refund - I won't charge them for my time - lucky it wasn't a garage doing it, eh  Wink .....

Just one point for anyone doing this job, nice and easy but stay focused.....I was distracted by someone who stopped for a chat just as I was reconnecting everything. I'd connected the wishbone back to the chassis (?) with the bolts that are used to set the tracking, but hadn't actually tightened them up and set the tracking. During the first test drive there were several quite loud clunks that left me limping home quite slowly and apprehensively for the last few hundred yards. I quickly realised what it was, tightened and set them properly and went for a second test drive that was as sweet and smooth as  headbang  - it actually seems to feel more solid and smooth than the milners balljoints were. I know the rubber had broke down but I'd have thought the balljoint was still okay...I mean it had been less than 2000 miles between installation and removal.

Moral of the story - don't skimp where it matters  Embarassed

So, that should be it - hopefully won't have to do anymore work on it for a while ... then it's onto a Mitsubishi colt with 1100 miles on the clock and 2.5 years worth of full service and warranty - yay!! - so I can concentrate on sorting the house out....a bit more....

It's been fun guys - thanks for all the help!! - you are all brilliant...and there are some real superstars out there - you know who you are   hello2  wave  iroc  occasion5  thumbleft
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

mythatsabigun wrote:
I'd connected the wishbone back to the chassis (?) with the bolts that are used to set the tracking, but hadn't actually tightened them up and set the tracking. ...., tightened and set them properly and went for a second test drive that was as sweet and smooth.....  - it actually seems to feel more solid and smooth than the milners balljoints were........

Its probable that when you fitted things back you have the cams in a slightly different place to what they were from the last fitting.

As the cams at the back and front of the wishbone, adjust in harmony with the track rod then I strongly advise you have the motor in for a proper 4 wheel alignment setup session.  Setting the tracking alone (toe-in) does not do the full job.  You also need to have the camber and caster sorted.

I thought mine was much better after doing everything and was happily driving it around until I could book it in.  I was staggered by how far out it was from the original specs and watched carefully as the mechanic spent just over 50 minutes going from one item to the other as the computer screen moved what seemed to be perfectly aligned wheels on one side out of alignement, as another cam or track rod was adjusted to bring the wheels on the opposite side into spec.

The eventual smile on the mechanics face as it all came together was obvious.  Though not as much as mine as if it had taken more than one hour I would have had to pay extra!  Laughing

The improved handling now is really obvious, with just a small niggling clunk on some bumps, but then again that may just be me looking for something else to sort out.  Laughing

ルイス
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly agree with what Lewis has just said...

Can not stress enough how adjustable our front set up is...

the wish bone joints not only alter camber but castor too !

money well spent having it set up, but you need to find a proper 4 wheel alignment centre who knows what they are doing !

try to go to one recomended by some one you know !
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

...if I was keeping it I'd consider it...I did mark them before disconnecting and got them back at exactly the same place, so they won't be too far out from before I got it done....suspect it's probably never been set-up properly in its life, so it would probably benefit from attention.
Thanks again guys,

Dave

thumbup  hello2
jo0lz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm
Interesting thread

I'm currently looking to get one offside lower ball joint for our '400
As I need to get it fixed and back to my MOT man next week before he goes off on Hols for a fortnight

Mitsu dealers have quoted me £78-60+VAT = £94-32
Local Gallaghers on Wirral say 3 weeks to get hold of one, ordered from Japan?!?
While best Dealer I know, Norjac in Carnforth, say there are 6 in the UK and they could get one for Tuesday [but they are a 150 mile round trip away]

Local Motorfactors who I always use are unsure of the one I need, as they say their computer lists two possible types
If we take a punt and order one or other they can be with them for Tuesday

There is an eBay seller called "AutoChassismate"
selling them in pairs for £37 and free postage with 4-6 working days delivery
see eBay item No 220534094249
Messaged him about faster delivery options

Milner's current price is just £17-50 with carriage [here by Tuesday] £28-50

So just cos I'm under time pressure I've gone the Milner route  Rolling Eyes
mrwilks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 15:52    Post subject: front lower ball joint Reply with quote

Hi lewis I've heard that the original (mitsi) ball joints don't come with grease nipples! I replaced both lower and upper joints on our lasses Deli uppers can be bought from any where but lowers only from import dealers,but they are also copys. original lower joints are about £60 each as opposed to £30 for copies.So i greased them up and put in a grub screw, As I've found its easier to take off the entire shoe when changing the lower joint which also gives you chance to inspect wheel bearings and shocker.
BrianB72
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar dilema when my L400 needed tops and bottoms. I ordered mine from milners and got the ones with grease nipples, after reading on here about nippless and nipples I ordered some from the local blue print supplier and those where the same. still not being 100% I bought some off the auction site because the seller assured me that these didn't have nipples. when they turned up they had nipples!!!
So I pumped them full of grease and slung them on and returned the others!!
Now I'm as confused as everyone else!!
mrwilks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 0:38    Post subject: lower wish bone Reply with quote

Hi bri don't be confused mate! In my experience even the inport dealers don't fully know what there supplying. The chaps on here tend to drill holes in wish bones to accept the lower joint grease nipples,which is a FANTASTIC solution BUT IT SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE DONE. The Delica has been in this country for a long time now and the pattern parts should be pukka.And while I'm on my soap box(FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS) outers can be bought from anywhere but inners can only be bought from import dealers. SO if the front bearings are getting tired remember tapered needle roller bearings have a 5lb take up on them that will give you about another 6 months to save the 60 quid it will cost you for the two inners. I'm GOING TO PASS OUT NOW!!!!!
george_goring0913

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:48    Post subject: front lower bull joints L400 Reply with quote

Hi, after noticing i need to replace both front lower bull joints on my L400 and reading about the grease nipple problem i decided to buy mine from "milner off road", which still had grease nipples that failed on the lower arm but were of a high standard.
After a bit more research i decided to pump the joints full of grease, replace the grease nipple with a grub screw and weld it in place, gave it a clean and coat of paint and Job done, no more problems with fitting and Can't be any worse than the factory fitted items with no gease nipple.
If you can weld them in just loc-tight the grub screws in place.
Hope this helps someone out there.
cheers
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having finally got an answer from Mitsubishi, via my local desler I can say that the OEM Deli Balljoints are 'sealed for life' whilst those Pajero balljonts, require topping up during a service or more often, depending on usage.  Sad

The Pajero ones are not designed for the Delica, which have a greater weight/stress level.

ルイス
skodarapid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting another old thread... I'm currently installing a blueprint front right lower joint. It has no nipple so can I assume there is enough grease in there for life? If not, how do you even grease one of these?
For reference it's blueprint ADC48610.  Also annoyingly, it came without the bumpstop bolt, and the four mounting bolts have no plain shank.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEPRINT:  Greased for life, no additional greasing is required.  Wink

Use the bolts off the one you are replacing.

ルイス
skodarapid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Lewis.  The boot felt rather empty but anyway it's on now so I don't think I'm going to do anything about it.

I have reused the four mounting bolts which look in reasonable condition and feature plain shanks for, I think, a better fit to the lower arm.  What I don't have is the steering bump stop bolt because I rounded the head off the old one.  Seems it has no invidual part number.

For future reference, what is the correct dissassembly method?  I was suprised at how many other parts had to come off before I could get the old ball joint out and the new in, found by trial and error.  And during the process I bent the thin flange end of the driveshaft which prevented it slotting fully back into the hub.  I carefully bent the flange back into shape and it's okay.  Maybe I'm missing something but the Peter Russek manual and the workshop manual pdf's found on here don't state anything of that nature (step by step sort of thing).  Am I starting to appreciate Haynes now?
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fitted a few ball joints in the last couple of years; some have felt a bit empty, and sure enough, when I have peeled back the boot, there has been a small splodge of grease in the boot which would take a while to work its way into the joint. No wonder they wear out so quickly!
rekab6969

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:42    Post subject: No grease nipples. Reply with quote

Just doing top and bottom ball joints, no nipples on the old ones coming off and new ones from Milners also don't have any nipples..  

Old ones were very loose, new ones can hardly move by hand so worth doing I feel..

db.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: