4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Lower Wishbone & Ball Joint - members input wanted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron spice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 20:06    Post subject: joints Reply with quote

just changed near side wishbone on mine and guess what, no grease nipple on the ball joint. I seem to remember seeing a post on here around August last year when i joined the club concerning ball joints from milners, having grease nipples on and not fitting into the wishbone, milners where contacted and there reply was, we have sold over 400 units with no problems, so up until August last year for the year they sold 400 units and from the start of this year to February they've sold another 400 units already? or they've sold none between August last year and February this year, well one to Lewis that is!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 20:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 23:27    Post subject: Re: joints Reply with quote

ron spice wrote:
.....I seem to remember seeing a post on here around August last year when i joined the club concerning ball joints from milners, having grease nipples on and not fitting into the wishbone, milners where contacted and there reply was, we have sold over 400 units with no problems....

Laughing   Yes there was; this is it!  Didn't you notice this is a two page post?  Laughing

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
ron spice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 14:54    Post subject: DOH! Reply with quote

Embarassed   okay i surrender must admit i didn't spot it, just took it to be a fresh post, just looks to me that milners are flogging universal ball joints, one joint fits all, send them a bill for all the unnecessary work you've had to do to make it fit, but hey thats the trouble with aftermarket parts, some good some bad and others just indifferent  Rolling Eyes
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

mythatsabigun wrote:
Well, that's really made my day Lewis having just spent the last day and a half under the beast replacing 'em all, drilling holes in my wishbones thinking "well, at least I won't have to do this again....." Mad

Oops! Sorry mate, didn't want to upset you - and I still don't, so you had better stop reading any further and do refrain from looking at the second picture below.  Evil or Very Mad

Well I've just climbed from under mine after cleaning the leaking grease from the rubber so I could see it properly and get some photo's (as usual) to look at rather than scrabble around in the muck.  Laughing

First a comparison picture.  This is the nearside one that is the original fitting and been there since manufacture in 1994:-

This is the brand new one from Milners purchased on 4th September 2007 and fitted on the 27th, as noted at the start of this topic, with only 5,000Km of distance covered and only 22 weeks of use:-

It doesn't really take the intellect of a rocket scientist to say that the rubber has perished and unfit for its intended purpose!  Evil or Very Mad

I think I will be asking for a refund as opposed to a replacement and purchase Mitsu originals.  :?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Tue May 01, 2018 9:23; edited 2 times in total
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is poor,

good old milners strike again
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

'...don't look ethel...!!'

'eeek'  Shocked

'too late, she looked!!'

Crying or Very sad  Hells bells, anyone else used these ?? - please (obviously) keep us posted on progress with Milners

Cheers,

Dave.
big_mike
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
It doesn't really take the intellect of a rocket scientist to say that the rubber has perished and unfit for its intended purpose!  Evil or Very Mad

Hi Lewis,
I wouldn't say that rubber has perished, it looks more like the rubber was not chemically compatible with something (presumably the grease?) and as a result broke down (I appreciate the end result is the same) Have seen similar failures in components sent off for testing at work (not car bits though)

I know it doesn't help much, sorry.

Mike
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean; but if it was the grease then I would have expected it to corroded from the inside out.  
It appears here to be breaking down on the external surface with the splits going from the outside inwards.  :?

The same grease was used for years on my campervan rubber components and had no degradable effect on those!

I assume the same component has been used on the YD POCUK members motors so it would be interesting to know if any of them have had the same problem.

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Tue May 01, 2018 9:24; edited 1 time in total
big_mike
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you replace a number of them at the same time? are they all the same? If they have largely gone on the outside then you are certainly right it isn't the grease.

IIRC WD40 (and other light oils, amongst other things) attacks certain types of rubbers quiet aggresively. or maybe they have been made with the wrong grade of rubber and that has broken down prematurely (we have found that some stuff we have made in China that if they run out of one raw material they will often substitute another even if it isn't what was specified originally, not good!  Rolling Eyes )

All rather academic really and not very helpful, just looked very similar to some of the rubber seal failures we have had with certain types of sterilization on some of our products so thought it might be worth mentioning.

Cheers,

Mike
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I sent an E-mail to Milners on Saturday, at 14:20, and have not yet had a reply.

Perhaps it got lost in the ethernet?  I'm sending another one now!  :?

ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitbull2001 wrote:
just took a look at mine today no grease nipple, and they looked rather dry for my liking so may have to sort this out soon...Anyone know how readily available are the official mitsi lower and upper ball joints or are they just likely to send me the same as a pajero or shogi.....?

N/S - MR162697 - £68.39 + VAT
O/S - MR162698 - £68.39 + VAT

Mitsubishi Main Dealers order them from Mitsu Parts HQ, so usually take a day or two to get to the dealers if ordered before 2:30pm.

:?

The side fitting nut faces the rear, but you can't fit it wrong anyway as there is a locating hole through the side of the balljoint cover for it to go through, after you have bolted it to the wishbone.

ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Well I sent an E-mail to Milners on Saturday, at 14:20, and have not yet had a reply.

Perhaps it got lost in the ethernet?  I'm sending another one now!  :?

Got an e-mail back advising they have had problems with their e-mail system and will look into the problem and get back to me in the morning!  Question

ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well nobody called me back! But I just received an E-mail from Mathew saying they have sent me a replacement, which I should get on Thursday and don't need to send the faulty one back.  

Which sort of ends the refund for an OEM one idea!  Sad

ルイス
simmossotto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deary deary me.....Do they (Milners) honestly think you'd want to replace the prematurely worn one with exactly the same one again.  They really should have refunded your dough. angry5   Incidently, mine (ball joints) don't have the grease nipple either, and my bushes are worn also (suprise suprise).  Think I'll be leaving it to Mitsi to do at MOT time which is in a few weeks time.  Rolling Eyes
ron spice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 20:13    Post subject: ball joint Reply with quote

the picture of your failed ball joint looks like the rubber used has gone brittle and cracked due to the cold, so it may be a case of low quality rubber used.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

mythatsabigun wrote:
Crying or Very sad  Hells bells, anyone else used these ?? - please (obviously) keep us posted on progress with Milners

Update as requested!  
:?

The replacement lower ball joint arrived, as promised by Mathew at Milners, about half an hour ago, free of any charges as I have come to expect from Milners aftersales service.

As you can appreciate I wanted to ensure this item was okay to fit in place af the faulty item previously supplied. Having opened the box and enclosed sealed plastic bag I checked the condition of the rubber boot.

As you can see from the photo's below the item has a hole in it plus splits and pitting in other areas of the boot surface. The section under the retaining ring appears to be worn even before use.  I suspect that the composition of the rubber is substandard and not it for purpose.  Obviously this item is not acceptable for use.  I have just e-mailed the same message and pictures to Milners plus that I am reluctant to accept a further replacement as it will no doubt be of the same batch and quality.  

I hope they will now refund the cost of the item and I will have to order the Mitsubishi ones. Although four times the cost the previous ones have lasted approximately 56 times as long!

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44; edited 3 times in total
ricke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

After checking the bushes on mine i decided to use Lewis's spot on instructions to sort them out.

I had a a spare set of wishbones which like the units currently on the Mitsi are a little on the rough side so i decided to acid strip them and paint them up before fitting the new bushes.....
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/ricke_60/Image003-2.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/ricke_60/Image004-1.jpg

One thing that was interesting was the water ingress patterns showing how the water had got under what looked like perfect and undamaged powder coating.....

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/ricke_60/Image007-1.jpg

And some of the rusty bits

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/ricke_60/Image005-2.jpg

The properly buggered bush

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb310/ricke_60/Image008-1.jpg

Next thing is a good wire brush before dipping in silver hamerite and refitting......

Good to know about the Milners ball joints, just a blow that someone had to find out this way, so it is definitly Mitsi ones for me which i was going to use anyway as drilling any holes in the wishbones was not going t happen......

Ricke
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to round off the result of the faulty LBJ's from Milners.

Mathew has concluded that they seem to have a faulty batch and agreed to refund the cost of them, plus the cost of sending both items back to him.  He also offered to get me a pair of Mitsubishi OEM ones, at the price shown above with a 5% discount and free delivery for goodwill.

I have had some OEM ones supplied, though not by Milners, and those are now sitting waiting for some decent weather to kick in so I can get them done, currently there seems to be a 50mph wind rattling my roof and the temp has gone down to 8°Celcius!  :?

ルイス
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  

So....I've got all this to look forward to??!!

Any chance of mentioning to Matthew in your communications that there will be a queue of club members who have at least swapped their LBJ's between when you bought your originals and the present ones, waiting for a similar deal.....and also that we are extremely pee'd off that we are going to have to spend at least double the amount of our precious time replacing them.....and that we've had to drill bloody holes in our wishbones to accommodate substandard kit!!!!  angryfire  angryfire  angryfire   ooops, going off on a bit of a one there!!!

Good work there Lewis - you are my hero....just wish you'd posted the info the day before you did - As ever in my life, perfect timing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  

Cheers,

Dave.
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting...

I can see why the Mitsi part would last longer as the rubber is far better design / shape...

whats the screw in the side of the mitsi one for ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: