2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Lower Wishbone & Ball Joint - members input wanted

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 14:22    Post subject: Lower Wishbone & Ball Joint - members input wanted Reply with quote

Having, like many others on here, found it necessary to replace a Front Lower Wishbone Bush I also found I needed to replace the ball joint as the rubber was split.

So I ordered one from Milners OEM part No: MB831038, Milners part No: 000750.  It duly arrived yesterday (Wednesday) the day after it was posted and thats when I discovered a problem.  See what you think!

Here are comparison pictures of the original, on the left, and the Milner replacement item:-

The only visible difference is the addition of a grease nipple to the Milner one.

Unfortunately that item prevents the ball joint from relocating back into the wishbone:-

Compared with the original:-

As you can see the grease nipple position is well inside the area covered by the wishbone shroud over the ball joint:-[/b]

I e-mailed Milners for some advice with copies of the photo's above.  However in the meantime I decided to drill a hole in the wishbone to allow the grease nipple to poke through and got on with the job of getting things re-installed on the Deli:-

I found it needed regreasing quite quickly, plus the hole needed clearing out first as it got full of mud within minutes of going down the farm track. Even a large dollop of thick grease didn't work!

I got the following E-Mail back from Milners, this morning:-

"Hi

Thanks for your email, we can see from the pictures what you are talking about but all original Mitsubishi ball joints (lower) would have had a grease nipple anyway. We don't really know what to suggest as we have sold 400 of these units this year with no problems.

It may be a case of fitting the ball joint (without the nipple) then putting the nipple back on?

Thanks
Dave / Carl"

Well to me its obvious that as the left hand item in the top two pictures is an original item and doesn't have a Grease Nipple then one was not fitted to all Deli's.  

Fitting the ball joint without the nipple would require blocking the hole up to stop the grease coming out. Yes! I know a grub screw would work, but it would still entail taking the wishbone apart from the ball joint to put the nipple back in to fill it if it was needed, though unlikely.

As mine is a late 1994 model I am wondering if Mitsi changed their design, to incorporate a pre-packed maintenance free ball joint.

However 400 units sold is a lot, so surely someone must have had a similar problem, unless these were for Pajeros, or Shoguns, which may have a different design.

Now this is where you all come in!  Wink

Could those of you that are fit enough please take a look under your Deli's and see if you have grease nipples fitted or not, and let me know along with your model version and year of manufacture. There are almost 4,000 members on here so we should be able to get some sort of feedback.

If anyone has grease nipples fitted could you please put a photo, one or two would be enough, so I can see the difference to the wishbone.  

Please Pretty Please
  :D

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Tue May 01, 2018 9:20; edited 2 times in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 14:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TyrantinTruro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

94 L400 nope not on mine
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly didn't spot it on mine when I did the wishbone bush....I'll check when I do the other one over the next couple of days..... 94, L400

(p.s. - you supposed to swap 'em when the rubber splits and lets the grease out ??  Embarassed they didn't spot THAT on the f MOT!!!)
scattman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will check mine tommorow--don't recall seing one off hand but can't be sure till i check

I think you can still get longer nipples mate,that way you can get to twiddle with it easier  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

SCATT
scattman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this one on the auction site by a different company and the grease nipple is with the kit (fits ALL 2.8 delicas )so they say --can't wait to check mine now--you don't half come up with em Lewis

SCATT
Dave
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I put some on my Deli and Shoggi last year from a local supplier (A to Z Motor Parts) and neither had grease nipples on. I did the Shoggi first and then specified '96 Shogun joints for the Deli as having seen one set I knew they were the same.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

scattman wrote:
Just found this one on the auction site by a different company and the grease nipple is with the kit (fits ALL 2.8 delicas )so they say --can't wait to check mine now--you don't half come up with em Lewis. SCATT

Ta!  Laughing

Thats what mine came like, but without the separate metal ring, though there was one fastened around the top of the boot.  The nipple had to be screwed into the pre-drilled and tapped hole.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Dave
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis.
Looking at your pics, and Milner's claims that all new ball joints have the nipples fitted makes me think that someone was having a bad day when they drilled the hole in yours in the wrong place, as it's quite feasible for them to fit in the area outside the 'cup'.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Hi Lewis.
Looking at your pics, and Milner's claims that all new ball joints have the nipples fitted makes me think that someone was having a bad day when they drilled the hole in yours in the wrong place, as it's quite feasible for them to fit in the area outside the 'cup'.

I think fitting that type of nipple in the area that isn't covered would make it impossible to get the grease gun on it.  A right-angled swivelling one, such as used on the front axles of the 207/208 Mercedes vans, would be far better, but they would require a larger tapped hole.

ルイス
scattman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at mine and they are exactly the same as yours Lewis (as i think everyone else will find /if originals are still on /or very early replacement ones)

Just looked on the ausie site and one lad says that the "PAJERO" lower joints fit "if your willing to drill a 11mm hole in the lower arm" for the grease nipple Twisted Evil

Also noted that the top ball joint had a grease nipple but replacements are now sealed units (in aus anyway) Laughing

SCATT
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just confirming, following 'doing' my wishbone bush on t'other side (can you hear me, mother??), definitely no grease nipple on the balljoint.

I'm now looking at doing mine as they are leaking grease. Bit worried about drilling a hole in the wishbone - could this be a case for insurance company refusing to pay out in event of an accident due to unauthorised modification of integral bit of vehicle ?
Also, can't believe they've sold over 400 of the units without someone posting about it on here....and you'd think Milners would sound more aware of the problem than teh above response seems to indicate  Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

Dave.
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

....just noticed - "400 of the units this year"....bl**dy 'ell!!!! Shocked
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

mythatsabigun wrote:
....just noticed - "400 of the units this year"....bl**dy 'ell!!!! Shocked

Personally I think that that figure means the same unit is mostly sold for Pajero's! not Deli's

ルイス
ricke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked both mine which where replaced last year by proper Mitsi ones and they do not have grease nipples on them either and thats on a 95 super exceed....

Had a wander to the garage and checked the 'spare' Deli and that does not have any either and that is a 94 exceed.....

Both are 2.8 diesel intercooled turbo's

Ricke
chiefie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

my theory on this, having fitted one or two genuine ball joints  Rolling Eyes , L200, shogun and pajero's all have the 'hole' in the bottom arm for the grease nipple, L400's don't. therefore i would imagine that oem ball joints for the L400's are slightly different to paj ones only in the fact that there is no grease nipple. after market manufacturers won't make both types if 1 type will do and as there is more call for ball joints with the nipple, that is the one they will make
i doubt very much if it will make the slightest difference to the strength of the arm due to where the hole is.

if that all makes sence,

rik
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefie wrote:
my theory on this, having fitted 1 or 2 genuine ball joints  Rolling Eyes , L200, shogun and pajero's all have the 'hole' in the bottom arm for the grease nipple, L400's don't. therefore i would imagine that oem ball joints for the L400's are slightly different to paj ones only in the fact that there is no grease nipple. after market manufacturers won't make both types if 1 type will do and as there is maore call for ball joints with the nipple, that is the one they will make
i doubt very much if it will make the slightest difference to the strength of the arm due to where the hole is.

if that all makes sence,

rik

Thanks for that Rik, Your the Pro Mitsi Mechanic so that will do for me!   Razz

ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after all that I think its worth mentioning that over the last couple of days I've had a lot of knocking/grumbling noises from under the front end.

Today I got under for a look and found the rubber cup on the Ball Joint that I replaced has a hole in it, which was not there after coming back from the last off-roading trip.

When it gets a bit warmer I will take a better look to see if its split or if something else has caused the damage.  But at the mo' its cold enough out there to freeze up balls of any sort!  Wink

In any case it was a short useage of an item costing £29 (inc carriage and VAT) and a few hours of work.  :?

ルイス
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's really made my day Lewis having just spent the last day and a half under the beast replacing 'em all, drilling holes in my wishbones thinking "well, at least I won't have to do this again....." Mad
andyj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

no nipples on mine ! late 1994 model like yours lewis
pitbull2001
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

just took a look at mine today no grease nipple, and they looked rather dry for my liking so may have to sort this out soon...Anyone know how readily available are the official mitsi lower and upper ball joints or are they just likely to send me the same as a pajero or shogi.....?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: