4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Any advice about importing welcome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> (E)SVA / Cert of conformity queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T0SA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 17:46    Post subject: Any advice about importing welcome Reply with quote

Hello, I'd like to get myself a Delica but have found it frustrating trying to get one in good condition. So (due to a fortuitus glance at a web site address while at a Delica importers) i'm thinking about importing one myself. Now, I don't know anything about doing this, so could anyone please give me an idea of how it's done.

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 17:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

petemillis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful info - the cost of auction fee + port transfer (80,000yen or £400) + shipping (£600 to £800) + UK port fees (£100 or so) + duty and VAT (30% combined which is about £400 on the previous amounts required to get the vehicle to UK) +  UK transport (say £150 or so if you DIY) + new tyres (£250 minimum for reasonable ones) + UK MOT work (might be min of £50 to do foglight and speedo conv, might be £500 or more if bushes, rack gaiters, pump seals etc are shagged) + MOT (£40) registration and tax (£240) + plates (£20) comes to a grand total of £2410 assuming no work is required for the MOT (just foggy and speedo). And that doesn't include the cost of the vehicle at auction in Japan - this is just charges on top of the cost. If you get a cheap 94/95 Deli at auction in Japan for say 200,000yen (£1000) AND it needs NO work, then your minimum cost for that vehicle on the road in the UK is £2410 + £1000 for the Deli cost + £300 duty and VAT on that £1000 so you'd be in for £3710 for a cheapo. If it needs any MOT work then you're up to over £4000.00.

If you wanted a decent newer Delica (say 2000 facelift model highroof) from Japan then you're in for 1,000,000yen (£5000.00) vehicle cost at auction, which will give you a grand total of £2410 + £5000 + extra £1500 duty and VAT = £8910.00 and on top of this you need to add the fee for the ESVA prep and test (£500) so your 2000 model is going to come out close to £9500 min. But you might want to add a few hundred quid for decent tyres too as they're usually trashed.

A 1998 one you'd be looking £5500 to £6000 OTR. BUT remember - there would be absolutely no warranty - these would be basic prices to get the vehicle on the road in the UK.

I've done this maybe 30 times now over the past few years and still get vehicles to order for people, but it can be an absolute nightmare trying to explain to people why a vehicle that now costs less than £1000 in Japan works out in the region of  £3000 in the UK, and on top of that they want 12 months warranty, brand new this, brand new that. You will find cheaper vehicles here as so many importers and dealers are stuck with stuff they can't shift, and lots of private owners are selling on.

So many people have just gone out and bought vehicles at auction in Japan without a clue about shipping, without a clue about the costs involved in just getting it on the road, and have come badly unstuck. They're also taking a risk on the  condition of the vehicle and don't factor this into their cost esimtates - a high auction grade vehicle can have serious mechanical faults - twice on Delicas I have ended up stumping up £400 for turbos to be rebuilt. And then there are those pesky roof blinds - every single penny and then some was lost on a Deli that I got for someone here because the roofblinds packed up!

Some people do this without even having a clue that the vehicle they have bought is unable to be registered as there is no model report available for it in the UK.  It all seems so easy as a way of saving a few bob but the reality is often completely different. But...

Pete from Brighton
Bob Ellison
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Pete.  Shocked
I considered the 'personal import' route but fortunately I found a dealer who had already done what you've detailed.

Jeez, it's certainly isn't as straight forward as you are lead to believe.
And looking at what you've described, I can't complain at the price I paid.  :?

Tosa:
Unless you want all what Pete has detailed, and I suppose some folk may find it 'fun', you may be better off finding an import dealer.
It's more expensive but you should find a decent Delica for your money.

:D
MDOCUK LTM No 101
POCUK LTM No 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> (E)SVA / Cert of conformity queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: