4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Kenwood Double Din Unit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 23:02    Post subject: Kenwood Double Din Unit Reply with quote

Hi all,
If anybody out there is thinking of getting a double din head unit, (the kind that goes straight into the hole in the dash Wink )
the Kenwood DDX-7025 is well worth a look at 8)

The unit plays CD/DVD/MP3/WMA and I've since found out (afetr buying a 10GB hard drive to store mp3s on that plugs straight into the system) that it will play recordable DVDs full of MP3s, thats 4.7GB of mp3s Shocked :D

The hard drive turns out to be a waste of money for this head unit, but the head unit itself is well worth having, the screen is that clear it can be viewed from the second row of seats 8)

The system is not that cheap but worth evey penny, well about £900 worth of pennies Laughing

Just thought I'd mention about the unit, if anybody whats anymore info just ask Wink and no....I don't work for Kenwood Laughing Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 23:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you a tenner for the keg mate Wink Laughing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustySparks wrote:
I'll give you £400 for the keg mate Wink Laughing

That very generose of you Rusty Wink Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your PC's faulty Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second that just bought same unit and its the best system i have ever had........mine was £850 delivered...
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jerryfb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:32    Post subject: Re: Kenwood Double Din Unit Reply with quote

Oldskool Beat wrote:

The unit plays CD/DVD/MP3/WMA and I've since found out (afetr buying a 10GB hard drive to store mp3s on that plugs straight into the system) that it will play recordable DVDs full of MP3s, thats 4.7GB of mp3s Shocked :D

I've looked at the spec for this and all it says is DVD video only. I'm wondering if this (mp3 on dvd+R/RW) would work in a dvd changer as well. Any ideas/experience
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 22:29    Post subject: Re: Kenwood Double Din Unit Reply with quote

jerryfb wrote:
I've looked at the spec for this and all it says is DVD video only. I'm wondering if this (mp3 on dvd+R/RW) would work in a dvd changer as well. Any ideas/experience

I use DVD+RW's in the Kenwood head unit with mp3's on 8) that's 4.7 gig of mp3's :D
I've also got a Clarion DVD 6 disc multichanger fitted in the Deli' but this won't play em' Rolling Eyes

Note: although it plays the DVD+RW's it does take a while to start playing the disks, once started the're no problem Wink
Just trying to help
;)
jerryfb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know my hi-fi equipment in the house but once in the car i am utterly mystified :? I'm now thinking that i should just get a really good sound system than worry about dvd. The kids have got a portable centurion player for the back (with) two screens). Any suggestions for really great sound from head units and speakers would be mighty welcome.
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the Sony Xplod stuff...
...See all my recent posts in ICE for model numbers etc.
The headunit is impressive with MP3 / CD although watch out for the 6x9s in the back, depth-wise...
Also, very inexpensive really.
Look out in local classifieds.....always seem to be folks selling stuff

Having said all that, very nice and upgradeable to sub + later if you 'need' it Wink

Cheers,

Dave.
jerryfb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Bigun

Got a link? Scanned ICE and didn't find your stuff
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right...sorry...it all began with the fun I was having shoehorning the 6x9s in......

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2385

That should (hopefully) do it...

Cheers,

Dave.
jerryfb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if what speaker combo would you install in your vehicle? What are the best speakers and where do they go? This whole ICE thing is doing my head in Exclamation
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear.....that
...... if you've got the standard basic set-up in your car it will consist of 4 speakers, 1 in each of the drivers and front passengers doors and 2 6x9s (six by nines) in the back. These are connected to the existing Japanese double din unit via the internal wiring loom (presuming you've still got the original radio).
Alternately, you may have the grade option 10 speaker system. If this is the case stop reading now and consult others who have this set-up.

If you go with the Sony headset, it claims to provide 4x50W, i.e. 50w to each speaker...However, apparently headunits are not 'big enough' to actually provide this kind of output and in reality, again apparently, only put out <20W. The Sony 6.5"speakers (front doors) detailed in the post work beautifully, even though they are rated at 35W (IIRC). I would however, go for 6x9s in the back that aren't as deep. I believe Infinity do some, as mentioned in another post.
(I'll try editing this later to include the post reference...see bottom of post)

I've bought Sony throughout, but don't think it really makes any difference. I'd definitely recommend an MP3 player though as it allows you to compress around a dozen albums onto a single CD, which has got to be good...as long as you've got the facility to do this Wink

In order to connect the existing wiring loom to the new headset you will require a wiring loom adapter. This does it all for you at very low cost. You will also need to buy a double DIN adapter which will fill the gap left by swapping from a double DIN radio to a single DIN radio. Again, this is very cheap and relatively easy to fit, providing space for CDs, see photo for finished product in my 6x9 thread detailed previously..all instruction and things to watch out for are therein :D .

I hope this makes things a little clearer. Take it one step at a time and you won't go far wrong. Hopefully your head won't explode Wink ....I know mine nearly did!!

Cheers,

Dave.

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1438&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=6x9&start=15
....and....
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=267&highlight=6x9
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerryfb wrote:
I'm now thinking that i should just get a really good sound system than worry about dvd.

You could always have both Wink

As with all the good advice from Dave, there are many good speakers out there now, would be worth going to a decent car audio shop and having a listen 8)
Its really the same as home audio, some speakers are a lot more money but with very little difference in sound quality :?

As for the amp quality/output from the Kenwood unit I wouldn't really know what its like, because I've always run the system through additional amps 8)
Just trying to help
;)
jerryfb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great guys and really useful. My last question is about amps. I do want to have a lot of spare power. Not 'cos I like my music really loud but quite loud and clean. I've seen some amps that are five channel or multi channel. What do these do? I'm getting a super exceed with 8 speakers I think. what sort of amplifier do i need for this?
MitsBFG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of amp depends upon the type of speakers, the RMS output and the over power output you require.

i have a 5 channel amp rated to 1000w and have componate speaker wired off. Generally the existing speakers are not suitable for amp usage as there are for 'HIGH LEVEL' signal, through an amp it is better to connect componate speaker for the quality of sound reproduced from the RCA 'LOW' singal supplied from the head unit. You also need to think about sub woofers, mid speakers and tweeter speakers to get the overall quality from the music source. :?

As I as saying, I have 1000w amp, 2x 10'' sub woofers, 2x 180w mid speakers, 4x 100w tweeters, and 2x 220 2-way 6x9 speakers and within this to make it work 2x cross-over units. This all has a separate power supply from the battery, my next upgrate is a power capacitor 8)

The other thing to think about is are you looking to go down the DVD road, because you can then advance the system further by adding 5.1 surround sound with a center speaker. Twisted Evil

I'm not a foremost expert on this subject, but if I can help, pm me.

Hope thats some help to you.

Gary
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

As MitsBFG said, it depends on what type of system you are going for.
The 5 channel amps can be used for a speaker in each corner of the Deli plus either a centre channel for surrond sound or a sub.

If you've got the upgrade system in your Deli' it should be 10 speakers 8)
although this runs from 4 channels, if you take a normally home speaker and its got 3 speakers in it, this is still classed as one channel, well its the same in car audio but the speakers are separate from each other and not in a tidy box :?

I've got 3 amps in my Deli';
One 4 channel amp that powers a set of 3 way speakers in the front (6.5" in the door, 4" under the dash and tweeters on top) and a pair of 6"x9" speakers in the rear.
A single channel amp to power the sub, and another amp for the centre channel for surround sound.

The 3 way speakers above are the size speakers that come with the upgraded system in the Deli', although I have changed mine Wink

The output on the amps is what to look for, look for the RMS watts rating as this is the true output.
The sub amp is the one that wants loads of output, this is where some 5 channel amps don't perform.

And for anybody that may be saying 'boyracer' (although I am from Essex Laughing ) no my Deli' dosen't go thump' thump' thump' up the road the bass stays in the motor Twisted Evil Laughing

Demo's given at meets Wink :D
Just trying to help
;)
jerryfb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Can we get down to recommended brands. My Deli is still on the boat so I don't know how many speakers it has. I really like the look of the Kenwood DDX-7025 and would like to add a changer to it for a stack of MP3 CDs (the kenwood one with a ten disc cartridge). What amp would you recommend to go with it? Assume I've spent a grand so far so let's spend another 600 on speakers and an amp. recommendations? I think I prefer the coax type speaker where they are all combined in one unit. Views?
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the Kenwood multichangers is that with mp3's you can't index the tracks, not the best setup.
With the Kenwood 7025 headunit, as I stated it plays mp3's from a dvd disk, so if you've got a dvd burner you can put 4.7G of tracks on one disk.

Coax speakers are fine, although with the tweeters on the dash the high notes are not being blocked buy your legs.
There are lots of speakers out there that will fit the doors, Kenwood or infinity have always been good speakers, I've fitted Focal speakers in mine but they can be a bit pricey.

On the amps side of things, I used to have Alpines which where good when they wasn't being repaired Shocked , I've now got an Eclipse amp, which a lot of people have never heard of (big in America Wink ) excellent sound quality but again can be pricey.
Used to have Kenwood amps years ago what where good, not sure of the quality now days :?

Basicly I can help you spend thousands on a system Wink Laughing Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
gaz8460

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi old school new remote ace fitted today best 20 quid I've ever spent... Laughing
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: