4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

something fun about tyre pressures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday went from Liverpool to Buxton to Barrow to Kilmarnock back to Liverpool...

40PSI all round up to Kilmarnock with trailer, back with out....

it is better at 40 psi !! no probs with traction at all, breaks work fine in fact maybe even better as the front does not sink as much now the tyres are harder....

handling is transformed too !

Used 3 tanks of fuel.. no idea of miles done.. it was a long day !
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 14:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Merf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this thread with interest and increased my tyre pressures to 40psi all round yesterday.

Since then, I have felt that the Deli has handled better and moved more easily.  This could just be a case of auto-suggestion but it certainly felt better.
Lawe
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDNECK wrote:

Glad to hear you avoided the idiot  Rolling Eyes
I thought the Deli probably would be okay with increased tyre pressures as it's such a heavy vehicle the tyre footprint is still good (see my previous link) but lighter cars can become very skittish on higher pressures or in fact on too wide a tyre. Contrary to popular belief (boy racers belief Rolling Eyes) they can be what is termed "over tyred" in that the weight of the car is too light to make the wider tyre perform to it's maximum, any way i digress (waffle  Laughing )
Glad the Deli and you are fine  Wink

Cheers mate.
Your right about "normal" cars and over inflation. Is that a trick some naughty dealers use to make the car easier to steer?
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - me too....my tyres indicate a max pressure of 41psi, so going by the max-10% I've gone for 36psi and it certainly feels 'much better' - can't quite quantify how, other than to say it feels smoother somehow.
Thanks guys  Wink
Dave.
bobber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMM... This looks interesting, i shall try mine today
Marcus Bloke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds good I always thought 30psi was way to low going to top  mine up now.

Mark.

Chunkey monkey
Worx monkey
Twice the fun !
Mantained & Modded By SVS 01202821222
rebelrider4711

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 19:42    Post subject: Inflated @40psi Reply with quote

Shocked Whoa, well i have inflated mine to 40 psi, and it is better, i have Bridgestone Duellers A/T, it says max psi 35.  So we shall see, i will leave them at 40 psi for a week or two,  must say though the front end does not dip like before.  Regards Franklyn... Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

Delica exceed Star Wagon 2.5 TD Auto 4x4 1993
   Green over gold .........................Cool......
        Low roof, Roofrack, Rear Ladder            S.W.B.  L300 / bike  Yamaha XVS 1100 Dragstar. 2002
REDNECK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 19:52    Post subject: Re: Inflated @40psi Reply with quote

rebelrider4711 wrote:
Shocked Whoa, well i have inflated mine to 40 psi, and it is better, i have Bridgestone Duellers A/T, it says max psi 35.  So we shall see, i will leave them at 40 psi for a week or two,  must say though the front end does not dip like before.  Regards Franklyn... Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

That sounds a bit dodgy to me, inflating them to over what the manufacturer recommends  :?

No Deli anymore, Mk2 Pajero instead, 2" suspension and body lift, 35's, twin winches etc
petemillis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely do NOT inflate above the pressure shown on the tyre sidewall. If it says 35psi then inflate to 35psi.
Also, the pressure to which you can inflate tyres depends a lot on the tyre itself. The vehicle manufacturer (Mitsu) in this case specify a certain pressure but this is based on the standard tyres. Some tyres are much stiffer and can be inflated to a much higher pressure. If you inflate a softish tyre to a high pressure then the profile of it goes wrong and you end up with less tyre in contact with the road (just the centre rather than the centre and sides of the tread). These are the types of tyres that will have a max pressure rating of perhaps 35 psi. Stiffer tyres can hold higher pressures without deforming which is why light truck tyres are often marked as rated at 75psi or more - they have stiff sidewalls.
Pete Millis from Brighton
Stouffer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 20:07    Post subject: Re: Inflated @40psi Reply with quote

REDNECK wrote:

That sounds a bit dodgy to me, inflating them to over what the manufacturer recommends  :?

Very Dodgy! It should be 10% BELOW the max. pressure and only used as a rough guide till you find the sweet spot pressure wise!

Turned on, tuned in, freaked out! (by L400 - Volvo remix) Blue over Silver with shiny tusks and yellow eyes)
Lawe
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a smooooth trip to the inlaws in Poole and she was perfect!
Had noticed that the fuel needle didn't drop as much this time  :D

Mind you it did on the way back the needle dropped - extra weight from the top curry we had (and seconds Shocked ) though the extra wind did help speed the journey up  Laughing  Laughing
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:39    Post subject: Re: Inflated @40psi Reply with quote

rebelrider4711 wrote:

C'mon Franklyn, get a grip  Wink  Laughing
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAX psi - 10%!!!! - sheeeeeesh!
rebelrider4711

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:55    Post subject: Awwwww! Reply with quote

Sad  Why Can't i have my tyres like everybody else? Sad  okay i will deflate them to 35 psi, as stated on sidewall.  I did have them at 32 psi but they always looked flat, Anyway guys you win.  Embarassed And if anybody says to me that my tyres look as if they need inflating, i will Bl**dy throttle em. Twisted Evil  Regards Franklyn... :?

Delica exceed Star Wagon 2.5 TD Auto 4x4 1993
   Green over gold .........................Cool......
        Low roof, Roofrack, Rear Ladder            S.W.B.  L300 / bike  Yamaha XVS 1100 Dragstar. 2002
Aginoth
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very interesting, and always thought  my MPG was low at 20-21 ...

Have Bridgestone Duellers so will up from 32 to 34-35 psi tonight and see what it feels like

1996 (P) Chamonix 2.8Tdi - Dark Blue over Silver with Decals and 3 kids Smile
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
petemillis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about the -10% thing. Been doing a fair bit of arousing, I mean browsing, and it would appear that the manufacturer's have a considerable safety margin above the pressure marked on the sidewall. It seems people are driving around in Honda Insights with tyres at 55psi, and IIRC the max rating on the tyres is 50psi. It would definitely be unwise to go above what's marked though.
bobber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck mine up to 40psi yesterday, took a ride down West Wales, felt much better on the road, didn't seem to roll so much into roundabouts and bends, also tyres seemed to be quieter on road,(Kuhmo mud terrain) noisy beasts at best of times!!   So now hoping for a few more miles to gallon.....Rob Laughing
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobber wrote:
Stuck mine up to 40psi yesterday, took a ride down West Wales, felt much better on the road, didn't seem to roll so much into roundabouts and bends, also tyres seemed to be quieter on road,(Kuhmo mud terrain) noisy beasts at best of times!!   So now hoping for a few more miles to gallon.....Rob Laughing

loose the muds for some AT's and that WILL give better MPG
mythatsabigun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

petemillis wrote:
........It would definitely be unwise to go above what's marked though.

Wouldn't put it past those lovely insurance folks out there to test tyre pressures post accident and invalidate your policy if you're running at pressures above max printed on tyre  :? ...just a thought  Shocked ...on the 'any opportunity' line  Wink
andyj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

not being funny guys but the MAX PRESSURE on my falkens is 55 PSI
so mine can handle the 40psi

if you run a 35 max psi tyre at 40 your nuts!

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR TYRES DIE

i can see me getting hate mail cos of this post :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: