Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 Sliding Door extention door hinge thingy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAVINTWOPIES

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 19:36    Post subject: L400 Sliding Door extention door hinge thingy Reply with quote

I have been out to the mitsy dealer today and bought a new side door hinge that i can use to make an extension door hinge out of as i was told that i can get one from japan but there £400 by the time you put on the import tax etc  Shocked

So instead I've been comparing it with some pictures i have on my computer so i can size up what size material i will need to make the other section of the hinge to make it swing wider however now I'm looking into it what I'm a bit confused over is where on the pictures i have the original hinge point pin is replaced with a m8 bolt now is this bolt tightened down onto the new section of the hinge so much that this prevent this point from physically moving or does the hinge have 2 hinge points? which seems a bit daft as this would mean the hinge would work fine when being opened but would fold in on its self when the door was being closed hence the door would come into contact with the side of the vehicle and no doubt cause quite a lot of damage to the paintwork and any fibreglass arches fitted (which i will have soon).

If i remember i think there is a few people on here that have this sort of thing on their L300 or L400 i know that the L300's hinge is different to the  L400's hinge and so weren't a direct swap or interchangeable but i assume that the principal would be the same between the 2 hinges , so I'm hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on whether I'm thinking along the right lines???

Cheers

Gavin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 19:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gavin

Yes it does pivot where the M8 bolt is, I'm not sure if it has a spring or anything in there though but it def hinges in two places.  Mine does rub slightly on the wheelarch sometimes but the only damage so far is a little paint rubbed off.

My arches are much wider than the ones in your pics and I don't think that my door has been munched and mangled as much as in your pics if any at all.

My hinge arm looks the same as the one in the pics though.

:?
Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want me to go and have a look Question

GAVINTWOPIES

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we are starting to get somewhere here, so what do you think would happen if you were to tighten the m8 bolt up and hold the joint in a fixed position ?? would it come so far round to shut then jam up or what?? coz looking at it i think the door would swing round into the shut position abit quick and thats about it???

just the extra hole in the cars original part of the hingle could be used to put a m6 bolt through to keep it fixed in 1 position if it will work like that?

:?  :?  :?
billy bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look at the second picci you can see that the "hinge" on the body side has a stop bar so it Can't fold untill it is within the curved section when nearly closed, hope you understand what i mean
97 red/black/silver honda CBR 1000 F
96 blue fiesta ghia auto
Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been and had a look and then read billy bobs post, so going back out to check on something.  I hope you guys don't mind me going out there in the freezing cold....BBBBRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Exclamation

Back in a tick.

Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay I'm back in the warm again.

Just opened and closed the door about 20 times gently (ie. not slamming) and the point of the M8 bolt didn't even try to pivot, yet when it does..... is when it rubs on the arch Exclamation

So shouldn't be a prob if it was tightened up, in fact I'll tighten mine up to see how it goes tomorrow.

I've taken a load more pics so will get onto uploading a few now.  Also took a tape measure too, so you should be able to work out some sort of scale from your pics.

Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay here's the pics:

Three pics of it coming around the bend

in the door

This bit shows a wedge on the end of the extension

Some rough sizes

The bottom runner

I measured the extension where I could with a vernier gauge and the bulk of the extension is 19mm x 46.6mm this is reduced to 38mm for most of the length of the part that folds into the door.  The length is around 150mm on mine, couldn't get a proper measurement without taking the thing to bits.

No I'm not going out there again tonight, too bloody cold  Rolling Eyes

petemillis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tighten the bolt Dinkum - it'll jam as it goes around the corner.
Pete Millis from Brighton
Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete

But it goes around the corner without bending :? I've watched it do it.

The extra pivot is there for a reason but I can't at the moment see why?  The only thing that I can see the extra pivot doing is making the door rub the paint from the arch when it does bend.  

Now I'm confused :?

GAVINTWOPIES

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that so this now confirms that there is no springs or hidden features to this hinge other than whats in the picture there is one thing that i have noticed and thatthat there must be a extra blind hole in the back of the mounting face of the hinge that bolts tot he door as it needs to mount over a bolt head as does the original which has a cut out to accomodate for this.
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

petemillis wrote:
Don't tighten the bolt Dinkum - it'll jam as it goes around the corner.

The sliding door hinge actually only has one pivot - highlighted in BLUE.

The M8 bolt should actually be tightened because it should form a solid join between the extension part and the original hinge carrier (shown in RED)

It's the two vertical bearings that force the hinge, and therefore the door, out. These are held in the upper runner and wherever the goes, the bearings follow.

As the bearings move around the corner (as the door closes) this pulls the hinge extension back in and the door comes back into its original closed position.

As the door is opened, the bearings force the hinge and the door outwards as they come back around the corner of the runner.

If you loosen this bolt, the door will move independently of the hinge (double hinged) and cause it to jam/foul the arches etc...

On mine (L300 verison - different design - same principal!) the extra leverage of the heavy door on the extended hinge causes the nylon bearings to crack and fall off (3 sets used now!!!) allowing the door to move about a lot more becauase there is more room in the runner to create a secondary pivot point (i.e. jam the hinge mechanism in the runner when sliding the door!!!)

I am looking at getting heavy duty bearings made that should last a lot longer than the second hand ones nicked of broken Deli's. This should return the door to it's original single pivot point and make the hinge work better again!  Wink

Make sure that bolt is nice & tight Rob..... :D

Regards,

Bruce.

Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce

The soft close on the door has played up since I got it, never had chance to look at it.  Been trying to figure it out tonight and just sat here scratching me head.  That bolt looks well greased too so might have to whip it apart at the weekend and give it a good clean up before tightening her up a bit.

I'm surprised it's not welded together as mine only rubs the arch when this part folds.  So now I can get my arches cleaned up too :D

Thanks again Bruce

GAVINTWOPIES

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery Machine wrote:

Make sure that bolt is nice & tight Rob..... :D

Regards,

Bruce.

And there we have it...................... say it with me

"Who the man , Hes the man, Whos the man , Hes the man ................................. Brucie Baby"

:D  :D  :D
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinkum_Dude wrote:
Thanks again Bruce

Do you mean to say that my explanation made sense??  Shocked  Laughing

I was really unsure how to describe it!! Looking at it work is one thing - but telling someone in words is something completely confusing on a topic like this!

I guess it's one of those 'you have to be there' scenarios!  Laughing  Laughing

Hope you get it sorted?  Wink

Regards,

Bruce.

P.S. When I get the bushes/bearings made, do you want me to get you some made for spares too??

Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAVINTWOPIES wrote:
["Hes the man ................................. Brucie Baby"

Sorry Gavin, I completely forgot to tell you all this on the phone the other night!  :?  Embarassed  Embarassed

So busy talking tailgate struts and rear shocks.....it slipped my mind!!

Hopefully got you sorted now though??

Regards,

Bruce.

P.S. You'll need to get some detailed measurements from the Dude if you are going to make one - I'll paint some arrows on a photo to illustrate the really critical ones. If you get it wrong......well you remember what I told you could happen if the hinge wasn't perfect.... Shocked  Sad

Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah of course it made sense :D

I spent nearly an hour sat in the back of the Deli tonight with me head wedged in an awkward position takin pics for gavin and watching the door slide open then closed.  I had it in my head that the bolt could be tightened without any probs and then it looked like pete could see a potential jam.

Thats when I got a bit confused :? and started scratchin me head.  Then read your explanation and everything just fell into place.

Yes please, put me down for a set of the new guides mate.

GAVINTWOPIES

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery Machine wrote:

P.S. When I get the bushes/bearings made, do you want me to get you some made for spares too??

Funily enough I've just bought some new nylon ones from misty thinking they would be up to the job but after reading this obviously not for the new job in hand so i was thinking I'd best make some brass ones to go with the new hinge as brass is self lubricating slightly.

any opinions???

also how good is this site only asked this question tonight and a few posts into it i know what i'm doing and how to get round my problem with some sizes to manufacture a new hinge, now how good it that i ask you????
petemillis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course - I meant tight....after checking mine just now - and I've had it off before!   Embarassed
Pete Millis from Brighton
Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pete,

You could get bruce to make you some nice new "STAINLESS" Shelves for your cabinet Idea

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: