Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Winch info wanted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 21:34    Post subject: Winch info wanted Reply with quote

Righty....

have tried before.. so lets try again......

Has anyone info on fitting a winch to a L400 ??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 21:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pyrogaz

Location: Caithness, next stop polar bears and hardy little chaps in Parkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of Jap 4x4's with winches fitted to panels that are intended for little more than supporting the front bumper, and have personally witnessed on two occasions the winch making a wonderful job of recovering itself and about half a square foot of 16 gauge steel  Shocked  Laughing

To do the job properly on a Deli you need to construct a bracket that can be welded or bolted to the two main chassis members in much the same way that the better towbars are fitted.
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this sounds like the info I'm looking for...

so the jap ones are there but not really secured then ??

Interesting.....

Anyone seen a "good" install ?

I do not want a winch sticking out miles from the bumper,
Aircooled68

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen this one at a meet in fleetwood

Dinkum_Dude
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A modified rear towbar fitted backwards and upside down to the front should cope with a winch.

:?
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know who ownes that ??

I'd like a close up look, as I like the look but would want it back into the bumper more....
REDNECK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can add to that is that surely he can't do any serious off roading with the winch in that position because it seriously affects the approach angle  Rolling Eyes

Not come across any posts for fitting winches to Delis but this one on POCUK for fitting one to a Pajero shows the kind of job you're looking at, might give you some ideas http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53297&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=winch

No Deli anymore, Mk2 Pajero instead, 2" suspension and body lift, 35's, twin winches etc
izzybon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does air get to his Rad there is no gaps is there no air flow  Rolling Eyes

izzybon(John) Wink

DINK DANK DOO
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it legal to fit a winch like that?  If people thought bullbars were dangerous, for the potential damage they could do if they hit a 'small person' they would have a field day with that setup. :?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
petemillis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Lewis - tres dangerous! Imagine that slamming into a small person, or even into your own legs - at only 20mph I expect it would smart more than a little bit. That winch should be removed and carired in the back.
I like the look of modified Delis as much as the next Deli nut, but where such mods are dangerous - well, what can you say? It kind of demonstrates lack of concern for the little people.
Pete Millis from Brighton
orfy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if you are fitting it for the looks of the beast or if you want to use it!

If you intend to us it then I'd say you'll also be carrying other off-road recovery kit. Why not us a hand winch etc.
#1 Written Off.
#2 Going Strong.
Foxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering the same thing myself - re fitting a winch.  I have an ARB winch bar with Superwinch on my Landy and would really miss it! I bet there's something on the Oz site!
autotorque

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

my winch hooks onto the rear towbar, I'm still looking for a way to incorp it into a front mount position. local shop has offered to build a cage for it on the front but means cutting a lot of the bullbat and plastics to fit in the position i want, agreed stuck on the front overhanging does have some safety implications the problem i found is theres just not enough metal at the front to get a decent securing point to be able to use the winch effectively.

Bruce any ideas ????
orfy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above the only viable mounts that I can see would have to be attached to the chassis legs. There's nothing else substantial enough to take it.
#1 Written Off.
#2 Going Strong.
Foxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

petemillis wrote:
I'm with Lewis - tres dangerous! Imagine that slamming into a small person, or even into your own legs - at only 20mph I expect it would smart more than a little bit. That winch should be removed and carired in the back.
I like the look of modified Delis as much as the next Deli nut, but where such mods are dangerous - well, what can you say? It kind of demonstrates lack of concern for the little people.
Pete Millis from Brighton

You think that's going to do THAT much more damage than hitting 2 tonnes of steel? Maybe a few more grazes on top of the pulped bones...... Twisted Evil  

er...did I mention I have a warped sense of humour <evil grin>
orfy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think twice about changing possible impact zones on any vehicle They are designed to act as crumple zones protecting passengers and pedestrians alike.
In the event of an accident I suggest that you may be leaving yourself open to prossecution and possibly void insurance.

I'd say sensible option is to weld winch points up front and carry a portable or hand winch
#1 Written Off.
#2 Going Strong.
Foxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

....or buy a tank.... Twisted Evil

The easy option that I'd thought about is the tow ball mount winch.  But to be honest, you would have to be in severe **** to need a winch.  And in Really Bad terrain you should have at least One other vehicle with you....and if you have a winch for personal recovery then you'd really ought to have a ground anchor and tree strops too. Oh hark at me. I rarely drive further than Sainsbury's. Ha.    Wink

I've got to use my winch twice - whoo hooo.  Well...that's me alone ...husband has recovered other vehicles with it. (oh eck...I'm getting winch withdrawal thoughts! Once you've had one.....you really don't want to be without it!)   I was a Brownie my motto is "be prepared".....  okay..I'll shut up now  Embarassed     Wink

Here's my winch bar and winch.........http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/charliefox/near%20by/land_rover.jpg
Foxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

....well..they do a lovely winch bar for Pajero's......  I can vouch for the quality of them! Excellent bits of kit!

http://www.arb.com.au/mitsubishi_home.php
izzybon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ya need is to remove the bullbars and get a winch bar made up
like they have on the landrovers

izzybon(John) Smile

DINK DANK DOO
REDNECK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxy wrote:
....or buy a tank.... Twisted Evil

The easy option that I'd thought about is the tow ball mount winch.  

From information i've found on the web the max rating i've seen for a towball is 3500kg which is probably why they're only used for small winch mounts and the small winches that are available with  towball mounts are probably only good enough for the recovery of a ATV or similar.

If it's a portable winch you want just for the odd recovery why not think about a Hi-Lift jack, these can be used for recovering a vehicle and obviously have the use of a jack. Cheaper than a winch more portable than a winch, can be fitted for front or rear recovery, can also be used as a clamping tool or expansion tool. Rated for up to about 7000lb but they have been used to recover Hummers Shocked okay so not up to the pulling capacity of a winch but for one off recoveries they're really useful
Winching with a Hi-Lift http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.htm

No Deli anymore, Mk2 Pajero instead, 2" suspension and body lift, 35's, twin winches etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: