Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Delica stereo and fitting a 6 CD changer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i.d

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:49    Post subject: Delica stereo and fitting a 6 CD changer Reply with quote

Hi to you all,
I'm about to take delivery of my first Delica tomorrow and after supressing the mass excitement I remembered that I need a bit of advice.
Can anyone inform me if I can fit a Kenwood 6 CD multi-changer to the already fitted stereo which is a Mitsubishi original or, as like a car stereo salesman told me while showing me complete stereo systems for about £500, will I have to take the stereo out and buy a new Kenwood unit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Iain 8)
p.s If it takes me a while to respond to any replies I appologise in advance as it took me a week to work out how to put this question on!
Sad Not the best with computers Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't think you'll find a cd player that will just plug in to the original radio  although Kenwood do a cd multichanger that will connect through the radio ariel plug for around £110 or cd/mp3 for around £250

The question has been asked before, heres the link http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=379&highlight=kenwood+multichanger

Hope this helps  :D  Any more questions, ask away Wink  Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
petemillis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain, you don't say whereabouts you are. If you're near to Brighton/Hove then Road Radio have got a special on at the moment for a JVC head unit and 10 or 12 (can't remember which) CD changer for something daft like £149.

It's definitely worth while ditching the outadated unit that's in there as standard, getting something decent fitted and, above all, getting a set of decent speakers fitted. Any stereo with over 10 watts output will just blow the fronts up Rolling Eyes
Adie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete do you know much about the speaker wiring in the Delica?

Space Gear Super Exceed 1994
Dark Blue over Grey
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played dashboard knitting in a couple of late 80s/early 90s toyotas I found Halfords to be useful (for once in a blue moon)
Not sure if its the same cable colours used in the mitsu as toyota, but after a few fuses blown(and smoke coming out of the rear roof speakers) found that that they have completely different colour codes to european vehicles. However Halfords sale a whole range of adapters that plug straight into the the vehicles stereo connectors so they fit modern stereos with ISO connectors. Most seem to come with a pin out too so you can work backwards to fathom out which wire is for what if you're doing a "custom" job.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
petemillis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords don't stock the required Autoleads adaptor, it takes them several days to get it in. Most car stereo places will have them in stock and do them for a tenner or so.

Adie, re the speaker wiring - all I know is that the purple wires are for the speakers. I haven't really noted the routing as I leave the same wiring in and just swap out the speakers and the connectors.
Adie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason I ask is that I have 2 tweeters above the captain seats, behind the drivers and passengers seats. I believe these are original, they have there proper wiring and then they have more wires which have been added extra. This powers the front speakers. I can tell that this is not right, but not sure why it is like this. I would have thought these should be powered straight from the radio. The radio is original.

Any ideas anybody?

Dark Blue over Grey
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the extra tweeters (2 on dash, 2 on post behind front seats) the chances are you have got (or had) an amp under the drivers seat.
All the speaker cables should run from there :?
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Adie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got the amp under the seat, but not sure if it all connected up. I have two wires going from the dash speaker to the tweeters. I disconnected them and now I have no front speakers at all, not even the door ones. I removed the wires because they show in places around the door frames etc, and was wondering why it ws like that. Now I know why. I am going to get the dash off tonight and look how the radio is wired. Seems all a bit dodgy to me.

Dark Blue over Grey
Jev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed the JVC head unit and 12 CD changer (CDRW compatible) mentioned above - £135 from several web sites. Adaptor plug and double din conversion from local car audio centre (not H*lfords) - all sorted and sounds loads better. Just need to upgrade the 10cm and rear speakers now - doors already done.

BTW - anybody know what the extra small aeriel is actually for? - as in the one presumably connected to the glass mounted aerial rear nearside window?

I also have a raised metal box under the driver's seat - not big enough for an amp? but does have an arrow on top pointing forwards? Main reason I mention it is that it prevented me putting the CD changer box under the drivers seat and I can't tell what its for. I did also notice that the main RED power lead for the head unit goes directly into a small metal bos mounted just to the left of the hole the head unit fills - looked like a voltage adaptor?
i.d

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 19:49    Post subject: Adding a CD multi changer Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the tips.
I think Ill have to wait until I take delivery and then get the multimeter out to see what does what and how bad the wiring is!
By the way I'm in Cambridge so if I get too stuck I can always have a look about for a decent auto electrician.
Cheers for now
Iain 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: