2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

MOT failure - Engine Oil!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:36    Post subject: MOT failure - Engine Oil! Reply with quote

Bit of a shock Shocked

Engine oil level was below the dipstick so the tester said he couldn't do the emission test. Fair enough but I never realised how much oil a diesel gets through Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Not a leak to be seen, engine, "dry as a bone", as the tester said.

Now I don't know whether there's synthetic or mineral oil in there.
Never thought to ask when it was serviced six months ago.

Marc, in a previous thread quite a while ago you mentioned that synthetic and mineral don't mix too well.
How much of a problem would I have topping up with mineral, if there were synthetic in there, given that previous postings recommend this over synthetic?

Oh, it did fail on a couple of other things.
6" split along the tailpipe which would hamper the emission test but, as the tester said, only needs some exhaust putty and a metal tape wrapping Smile
Missing seat belt buckle for middle passenger in rearmost row. Tester said for me to take the centre pax belt assy out completely would be okay Smile

Look forward to your replies, cheers, Derek
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Marc, in a previous thread quite a while ago you mentioned that synthetic and mineral don't mix too well.
How much of a problem would I have topping up with mineral, if there were synthetic in there, given that previous postings recommend this over synthetic?

Hi Derek
Id *think* tha if it were serviced recently then the likelyhood is it will have had semi synthetic put back into it,that seems to be about the norm for most vehicles now,I'm sure if it were a top up tho that given the amount of each thats there you would probably be okay (don't hold me to that Wink ) but the main concern comes when you empty out mineral and put in synthetic or vice versa ,i think its the synthetic acts as a cleaner and can dislodge particles and release them into the engine,but to be honest I've not heard of it happening,but as i said withthe mix of each i think youd be okay until you get time to get it changed (kwik fit oil and filter £26.00 semi synth)
Glad the beast didn't cost you too much for the mot matey,sounds like you have a good fair mot man to,which is nice to see as most are a little bit OTT with some things.

Hope that helps matey atb

Marc 8)

Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,

thanks for that.
Given the amount I'm probably going to have to top up with I feel comfortable in using mineral, (or maybe semi synthetic).

Yes, the MOT guys are very fair. I've been going to them for about the last 25 years!!!

Berkley MOT Station, A4, north of Heathrow Airport.
I'd thoroughly recommend them.

I'm just off to the local breakers to see if I can get the tongue bit of the safety belt clip that'll fit. Can't see why they shouldn't standard across manufacturers. If not I'll take the thing out as the tester suggested.

Thanks again,

Derek
petemillis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, the easiest thing might be to get both belt tongue and buuckle and bolt it in place of the existing one, rather than trying to find a tongue that fits.

Re oil, as it's 6 months since you had it serviced you may as well go to Kwik Fit for complete oil and filter change to be on the safe side. When oil gets too low it also gets cruddy and can get baked onto engine internals. At least then you'll know that all the oil in there is semi-synth.
Derek
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho hummmmm Rolling Eyes

I've already popped in some Halfords best semi-synth labelled suitable for turbo diesels. It only took about a couple of litres but will check again in the morning when it's good and cold, (if there's such a thing currently :D )

I found a lap belt fitting in the local breakers that had exactly the same tongue as the Delica ones. They wanted to charge £4 but when I started digging the coppers out of my pocket, settled for £3.50 Laughing Laughing

Got told off for cutting it out of the car rather than undoing bolts etc., but after being suitably apologetic, walked off and fitted it there and then.

And before someone asks, sorry but I didn't take down the make and model of car. It was some "run of the mill" four door saloon with, supposedly, seating for three in the back Twisted Evil

There appears to be only two standards of seat belt locking.
One with a key-like tongue, cut-ins down the length, and the other with a straight shank and a rectangular hole in the centre. Ours is the latter.

Hope this is of help to those who want to save a few pence.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: