4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Drop Plate For L400 Towbar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisnElaine
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:16    Post subject: Drop Plate For L400 Towbar Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I was just about to order a towbar and electrics for DW2.  We plan to have a caravan (so we can come'n'enjoy meets in cooler months Wink ) and a trailer for haulin our tent'n'stuff the rest of the time Rolling Eyes .

My query is has anyone had difficulties with hooking up either (caravan or trailer) and should I add a drop plate to my shopping list? :?

...Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but a search proved pretty useless.

Thanks
Elaine :D
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

IanFJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You should't need a drop plate, my van tows perfectly level without one at the standard towhitch height.

Cheers

IanJ
ChrisnElaine
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! :D

...Off to spend some (well, quite a few) pennies!

Many thanks Ian.

Elaine 8)
scattman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi elaine,
It would apear to me that these machines can be at differing levels ,depends on suspention and wear and tear  Rolling Eyes
I would need a drop plate on mine as my tow ball is at 19 inch above ground and my caravan hitch is around 15.5 (avarage i think)

Take a look here,might be some help
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9071&highlight=towbar+drop+plate

SCATT
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tow ball sits at 17" with a drop plate and find this level to be just right for the caravan Wink
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
ChrisnElaine
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scattman,

First, thanks for the link.  AOL was having a fit and kept dropping me out (hence the problem with reading search results). Got m'self so wound up I posted here instead of the L400 forum Embarassed .  However it did mean I couldn't complete the purchase which could prove to be a good thing.

Is nothing on these beasts straight forward Question   Like you say, variations in suspension (not to mention tyre size) would certainly muck up the measurements.

In light of the fact that we're going to get a trailer and a caravan, Murphy's Law is bound to kick in to ensure one or the other has a problem.

...Having said that, the same law would suggest that having bought a plate, both wagons will tow with-out a hitch if you know what I mean Wink

Oh well, might as well be hung for a sheep (with a dangly bit) as a lamb!  Wink

Thanks again
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

errrr....my post above was spose' to read without a drop plate Rolling Eyes

Still no edit buttons Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil
Just trying to help
;)
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisnElaine wrote:

both wagons will tow with-out a hitch if you know what I mean Wink

Wouldn't like to try it Shocked  Laughing  Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
scattman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me niether  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

SCATT
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Deli has a 3" lift and needed a 3" drop plate....(to tow 20 foot 1989 award nightstar weighing in at 1360 kg)

it tows dead level....

BUT the towball is at the absolute top of the standard height range for towballs and vans vary a bit...the BS is a range ....

people talk IMHO a load of spherical objects about Deli's compressing under the load of a van on the back....most cans have a noseweight limit of about 70-100 kg (or the weight of a biggish bloke!)

to see how much it should compress under the nose weight ....get afore mentioned big bloke to stand on the rear step and see how much it sags! (mine barely twiches!)

I would suggest any Deli that compresses under nose weight either has far too much nose weight being applied for the good of the caravan and safety, or has too much stuff in the back...OR has dangersouly  worn rear suspension...

ps they are great tow cars!

When you go to buy you van i would suggest you get it level an MEASURE the height to the top of the towball socket....and repeat on the Deli
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

foregot to mention if you get an alko stabaliser hitch on the van (big red tow hitch) you will need an ALKO towball for the towbar - or compatible - which sit further away from the bar than a standard socket AND you must have ABSOLUTLEY NO REPEAT NO grease on the towball or you will ruin the friction pads on the hitch!!!!!

also you must have a separate attachment point for the break away cable - it is not legal to loop them over the towball!

Also check the length of the break way cable...their have been cases of people 'with 4*4's' where the cable is short and during turning has pulled the caravan brakes on....leading to the hubs overheating and ruining the brakes AND bearings...

remember to take your towing mirrors and spare numebr plate, nose weight guage and wheel clamp when you go to pick it up...

sorry if you already know this but better safe than sorry!
ChrisnElaine
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Chaps!

Kick, many thanks for the info.  whilst I'd obviously heard of Alko, I didn't know anything about the Alko hitches compatability thing!  That's definately something to remember when we start looking to buy.  I'm still 'doin' the knowledge' as far as caravans are concerned - hence we're getting a trailer first! Laughing

This is what I'm looking at buying:
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/towbar/Items/TC%20705?sck=281503

- with the additional electrics pack.  The company sells all the bits'n'bobs needed to get the job done - even has a fitting service for those of a nervous (or cowardly Embarassed ) disposition.  All I have to do is work out what we need. Rolling Eyes

Everyone tells us the Deli's the beast for the job as far as towing's concerned.  We're restricted weight wise because of when Chris got his licence (I've never been allowed to drive Evil or Very Mad ) so the car shouldn't have any worries hauling anything we hitch to it.

Thanks again for the info.  I really don't know what we'd do without this forum!
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cool i have tow trust one as well...

i sugegst you also get a couple of meteres of 7 way cable to give you the cores you need to go accross the car....

also get a nice shiney BIG stainless steel BLING bash plate....saved the caravan hitting my bumper a time or two and looks BLING!!!

also if you get an electrics mounting plate where the sockets sit either side of the ball and up a bit it saves one of them hanging  down below the  ball and getting clobbered all the time....

while oyur fitting the bar fit reversing sensors as well....amy as well everywhere you need to get you need to get for the bar....

also get a GOOD (alko earodynamic look great) tow ball protector...its nto the ball its protecting its your KNEES

you will need to run a cable to the battery for the split charge thorugh the drivers side panels, round the drivers door...accross under the dash and through the large grommet above and behind the glove box....

BUT start at the engine bay and feed it back cos getting at that gromet from the glove box side is a beast of a job...if you poke the wire through from the engine taped to a knitting needle or similar its easy to pull though....

pick the lights in the tail gate up behind the rubber boot in the body where the wire run to the 'gate....(easy!)

all nie an easy...just takes time (though i do have air tools which make stuborn bolts unstubborn very quickly!)
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i just noticed your in coventry...I'm in stoke if you get stuck let me know and i can always pop down,,,(or you can pop up!)
ChrisnElaine
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might take you up on that!

Thanks for the advice about extra wiring etc.  The 2 kits claim to be complete with everything for their jobs but experience of other vehicles has taught us caution so we may buy some extra cable.  The towbar kit includes a free bash plate but I will almost certainly fork out for the bling option! Wink

Fitting parking sensors at the same time seems like common sense and Chris has had a set for months, just sittin' in the box, gettin' on my nerves! Rolling Eyes

I'll PM you once the stuff arrives.

Many thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: