Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 Hand Brake??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wemfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 0:12    Post subject: L300 Hand Brake?? Reply with quote

My Deli failed the mot on the hand brake, I have fitted replacement parts but I am not sure if it’s okay now, can any one please describe accurately in words just how strong their hand brake is??

Mine will not hold the vehicle against the engine, as I can drive off with the hand brake on but it seams to hold it okay on a gentle hill (got no steep one’s round here to test it on)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 0:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marcus Bloke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about the same as mine. not great but okay....ish

Mark.

Chunkey monkey
Worx monkey
Twice the fun !
Mantained & Modded By SVS 01202821222
splatpanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it definately sounds just like mine. your mot tester must have been a real jobsworth to fail it on that alone.
wemfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hand brake was quite bad, but they did pass it last year. Now it’s harder for them to be fair as it’s computerised. Last year it was a matter of judgment or turn a blind eye to a slight fail now when the computer says 'NO' that it. . . . .
Niallpatty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:53    Post subject: Poor handbrake. Reply with quote

My van failed it's mot (computerised) on handbrake. I got new shoes and greased up all the cables and links. It was still crap, so I unhooked the spring off the self adjuster wheel and wound it up so that the drums would only just go on then it worked fine. My first attempt of tightening the nut on the hand barake lever just made the wheels get really hot and the van go really slow! Give me a ring if you want more detailed info. 07803 925839. The brake shoe diagrams were slightly different in the MDOCUK workshop manual to my 1990 Exceed.
Ash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 0:26    Post subject: L300 Hand Brake?? Reply with quote

Hi,

As a veteran of piss poor handbrakes, not just Deli's, let me give you some advice.

Remove drums and clear all dust,before adjusting the cables, this the most common fault with handbrake failure.

Check for wear of the drum, the edges may be proud of the working area and this may hold off the shoes, especially if they are new shoes. Machine off the lip, if you have access to lathe, if not grit teeth and file off lip with a rough 1/2 round file.

If shoes arn't worn but are shiney  :D , rough up with said file, don't be scared, rough is good.

Do same with the drum. If your scared of using the file then use some brown scotchbrite with isopropanol.*see below

When fitting new shoes, be sure to file a lead onto the front and back edges of the brake material, this helps to bed them in, not the sides.

Do not under any circumstances use grease or oil inside the brake drum. Moving parts can be lubricated with a smear of coppaslip.

If you've got a leaky slave cylinder, renew seals but only use an alcohol based cleaner*(isopropanol) to remove brake fluid. Jizer and Gunk type stuff leave an oily residue, thus reducing brake efficiency.

If you are doing a lot of wet work you can file a cross hatch pattern into the brake lining, using a 3 square file or hacksaw at a push, but only go max 1/16" deep at a time( 1.5mm)

Adjust brakes. Don't rely on the self adjusters. Jack wheel. Adjust until wheel binds. Back off until you get an shuff shuff noise when spinning wheel by hand. Get someone to pump brakes whilst spinning. This settles the shoes. Repeat until shuff shuff. If you notice the drums getting hot excessivly, back the adjuster off a bit more.

Finally, as a rule of thumb, when all of the above is okay, adjust hanbrake so that it comes up three clicks.

Hope this helps you all......can be used for all cars and bikes.... 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: