4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 Rear Brake Pads.... Fitting instructions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatmadden

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:49    Post subject: L400 Rear Brake Pads.... Fitting instructions? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just about to get some new EBC pads for the rear of my stormtrooper and I wondered if there was a step by step guide on how to fit them? Tis a 94 L400 2.8TD if that is of help!!!

Cheers for your help everyone.

Dave
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16247  Wink

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
tttonyyy

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel bolts off, wheel off, slacken one caliper bolt, undo the other completely, hinge, remove old pads, insert new ones, compress caliper piston (only one at the back), refit.  Smile

Should be an easy enough job Smile
whatmadden

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 13:25    Post subject: Thanks for your help! Reply with quote

Sounds easy...... Now wish me luck!

Dave
Ronnie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this really as easy as it looks? I've done lots of mechanics before, but never messed with brakes  Shocked

What can go wrong?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie wrote:
Is this really as easy as it looks? I've done lots of mechanics before, but never messed with brakes  Shocked

What can go wrong?

It's easy peasy and nothing will go wrong if you do it right!  :D

See this photo 'how to do it' post!  Rolling Eyes http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16247

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Ronnie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis, I saw your link earlier in the thread. Is it worth ordering new slide bolts with the pads? The silicone grease goes on the slide bolts I take it - worth greasing the upper slide bolts too?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your bolts are bent you won't need new ones, which will save you spending several £'s.

Silicone grease on both bolts and make sure the lower bolt has a rubber collet on and that it is in good condition.

HTH

ルイス
Ronnie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the fronts done fine. On the OS rear caliper the slide bolt sheared half way along its length and I could not depress the cylinder to put the new pads in. It's binding.

I decided to change my pads because there was not much left on them, and I could hear a rubbing noise after coming off the brakes - I thought it was the pad, but turns out it's a knackered caliper  Evil or Very Mad

MOT is due just to make it all a bit more annoying. Milners want £100 for a new rear caliper, not sure if it comes with the slide bolts or not. Anyone know of a cheaper source?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie wrote:
MOT is due just to make it all a bit more annoying. Milners want £100 for a new rear caliper, not sure if it comes with the slide bolts or not. Anyone know of a cheaper source?

I got mine from:- http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/?i=388&ModelDetail=Mitsubishi+Space+Gear&ii=20134

They will also collect yours from you when you remove it and then refund you some cash on receipt. However if you speak to them about having your old one packed up and ready, with their address on then they will bill you for the collection and price accordingly to save having to post your old one to them for the refund. The delivery driver will take your old one away with him!  Wink

Alternatively you could refurb your own, or have a friendly mechanic do it for you. Note that under new EU rules autofactors no longer sell caliper seal kits. However you can get then direct from Mitsubishi dealers parts depts.

See this post for further details on Calipers, seal kits and Piston sizes for ordering:-

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36472

HTH

ルイス
Ronnie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis, you really are invaluable to this forum. Your detailed and helpful posts are always very much appreciated.

All pads are now changed and brakes work good. Still have the caliper with the sheared slide bolt, but there's still enough length on it to work okay. Not ideal I know, but it will do to get me through the MOT tomorrow as I managed to free up the cylinder. Been quoted £35 for a second hand caliper of the Bay of E, so will get that, give it some fettling and fit it later in the week.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie wrote:
Still have the caliper with the sheared slide bolt, but there's still enough length on it to work okay.

If the sheared off part is still jammed inside the caliper then drill a small hole in the end and knock it out, with a length of thin steel rod. Then tap the hole and fit a short bolt into it!  Wink

HTH

ルイス
Ronnie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that is a good idea! I'm going to try precisely that.
litl666
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of getting these piccies back Lewis? Thanks  :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: