Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

"Towing" without a tow hitch!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aweeka
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 22:33    Post subject: "Towing" without a tow hitch! Reply with quote

Is it possible to tow, say a car, out of some mud if there isn't a tow hitch on the Deli?  Is there somewhere safe to attach a rope if necessary?

Am attending a funeral at a woodland burial site later this week and have been told its very muddy so thought I'd ask in case the Deli is needed and able to help! Rolling Eyes   Its going to be "interesting" in any event - apparently we have to cross two fields on foot to get to the site from the "car park" anyway!  (I'm sure my uncle did it on purpose so he could have a good laugh! Wink )
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 22:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

billy bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is 2 tow eyes front (side of bull bar down tubes) and 2 on rear (hoops hanging down from both chassie members) no proublems pulling from any of them,

sorry to here cercumstanses hope all goes well
97 red/black/silver honda CBR 1000 F
96 blue fiesta ghia auto
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to say billy thats a bit wrong!

according to the book only ONE of the eyes on  the fornt are for towing, the other is for tieing down and Must not be used for towing, Can't remember which one though! (and the books outside in the car and its persisting it down!)

I only remember cos i though 'opps that could have caught me out!'

I seem to rememberthe back is the same as well, if you look at the eyes one seemd quite a bit bigger than the other...and that was the towing one!
billy bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

not arguing as i don't have a book, fronts both look the same to me, i agree offside rear is longer, as i say you are proubly right, but i have been towed out of sticky posistions by both front eyes aslo i have done some pulling from both rear eyes. so i would safely say you could use any for what Aweeka ison about,  
I would be intrested to see the info on the towing eyes though for peace off mind if you could scan it for us Laughing
97 red/black/silver honda CBR 1000 F
96 blue fiesta ghia auto
hillbilly
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,got the book in front of me,clearly shows the towing hook as the off side one at front,nearside is shown as tiedown hook.States do not tow  the vehicle with rope placed any where other than on towing hook.
Hope that helps.
  Bill
Aweeka
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys but since someone shunted the Deli this afternoon and it will be taken away shortly for assessment I won't be using it now.  Will post more details this evening.  Just really p***ed off at moment.
rascal808

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 18:26    Post subject: ouch Reply with quote

Hi Aweeka.

Sorry to hear 'bout your Deli bash Crying or Very sad

I hope it's not off the road too long for you...

I've been Deli - less for a month now while it's in the garage. Crying or Very sad  Way too long!

Steve n Sara

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 215 of the manual shows both front eyes as towing hooks.

Page 216 shows use of offside hook for when towing the Delica with another vehicle.  That is to reduce the possibility of the vehicle being towed from moving out into the oncoming traffic, especially on cornering

If you are using the front hooks to reverse tow another vehicle off a muddy field then either hook can be used, preferably both to spread the load!

If the field is particularly muddy and traction is a problem use Difflock and LLc mode. IE with a L400 move the floor lever as far forward as possible then push it downward and move it to the right.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
hillbilly
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis,if you read the manuel,p215 shows vehicle without grill guard,most of the L400's have guard,Mick and Kathryn's definitley has,or did when I last saw it.May be modified now after the shunt!!
 Bill
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillbilly wrote:
Hi Lewis,if you read the manuel,p215 shows vehicle without grill guard,most of the L400's have guard,Mick and Kathryn's definitley has,or did when I last saw it.May be modified now after the shunt!!
 Bill

I assume by grill guard you mean something like the Metal Micky Item, as per this one one Mark's Deli?

That doesn't prevent the use of the front towing hooks though!

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! forgot the link to the piccy:

ルイス
hillbilly
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Lewis,just look at the pictures,they're self explanatory!!!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been offroad with Mark and seen him towed up a hill and through a snow drift, with a cable attached to his front towing hook, I am quite aware that it can be used!

ルイス
strangerover
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on towing with the eyes fitted to the vehicle from the factory.

I have used both front eyes for recovery ! and they worked fine...

Now... there is one thicker than the other which Mitsubishi have designed as the offical recovery eye, the other is technicaly a tie down eye. If you are able then use the beefed up eye, however some times its not possible e.g. if your at an angle that would make the beefed up eye unsafe for stability, in this case use the tie down eye, but apply the pressure gentley DO NOT Snatch it.

As  for the rear, I have a tow bar, but there are some nice beefy eyes at the rear too, again use them and apply force gentley do not snatch.

The Metal Monkey bash plate DOES NOT get in the way, in  fact I think its less in the way than the plastic original trim.

Hope that helps, I have been recovered out of mud, through snow drifts and up and over rocks !!! using either front eyes to be honest used which ever one came to hand first as we did not snatch the vehicle. If you plan to snatch it I would not use either of them !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: