Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Fitting alarm to L400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:27    Post subject: Fitting alarm to L400 Reply with quote

i am picking my L400 4-5 days have bought egr plate & hand book i need to fit an alarm system. this is my first Delica and any advice on this subject is more than welcome are there any circuit diag's ? is the haynes Paj manual of any use to me ? what are the best alarms to use ? sorry for all the questions but i am green on this vehicle and hope to use it to travel to Ireland 07/08/04 so time is against me
regards
tubby
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Adie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome.

I have just had an alarm fitted to mine, but I was lazy and got someone else to do it. I ended up getting a Clifford alarm as you can get loads of extras for them, also the one I got is a CAT 1 alarm. It cost £420 in all, if I remember rightly.

http://www.clifford.com/g5/sec/default.asp#concept550

I also chose the option for it to close the windows when the alarm is set. Then in the winter you can get an extra bit so you can start the engine from you home and then you can have your Delica heated up before you get in and it's still alarmed. It's a must have item Smile

http://www.clifford.com/g5/access/default.asp#intellistart

Space Gear Super Exceed 1994
Dark Blue over Grey
Indigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the darkside tubby Smile congrats on your new purchase!

i did a whole load of research when looking for an alarm for my Deli and in the end settled for a toad AI606, i couldn't find anything bad written up on it, apart from a few isolated occassions of keyfob problems. I'm *very* happy with it Smile when the money is a bit more ready, i'll have it upgraded to incorporate total closure and have the mirrors close via the keyfob too Smile

i think Cobra do a good one too, i had an old one fitted to my exceed when i had it, my only gripe with it was that the immobilisor had to be manually touched instead of a button on the keyfob dearming it, but i think a newer one wouldn't have this problem.

you only actually *need* an immobilisor, which you can get for around £140 fitted, as opposed to £300+ for a full Cat 1 alarm, but i find it much more reassuring to have it alarmed, as well as being able to lock it remotely as i'm going in the front door - usually armed with shopping and 3 kids!

atb Smile
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tubby,

My alarm is a an "Autowatch 160 RLi" Thatcham Cat 1 fitted by a local alarm company - £299 all in and it took them about 5hrs to fit.
Has usual toys - remote arming/door locking, ultrasonics etc. It didn't need any separate interface modules to operate the door motors like some do (and cost extra !). It has performed well and I haven't had any nuisance alarms etc.
Looking around the UK web, Autowatch seem well represented.
As mentioned by astra this alarm too can be upgraded etc if you wish .

Their website is here http://www.autowatch.co.uk/

In order to qualify for insurance purposes, you will find that the alarm has to be fitted by a certified installer, and not 'DIY'. Any good installer will be able to install the alarm without the aid of wiring schematics (which aren't available yet anyway).
Most of the prices quoted for alarms include will installation as well.

Good luck and have fun with your new toy :D 8)
Adie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have reminded me about the insurance thing. Be careful that it is signed properly. If the certificate isn't properly signed and stamped it may make your insurance for theft invalid.

Space Gear Super Exceed 1994
Dark Blue over Grey
petemillis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatcham approved immobiliser should cost no more than £99.99 fitted if you shop around. Works off a dangly key fob thang. Just had one fitted to an RX-7 and keep forgetting I've had it done and then I wonder why the car won't start Rolling Eyes
These immobilsers can be upgraded to include alarm. Total then £350.
hairyben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginja Nutz wrote:
In order to qualify for insurance purposes, you will find that the alarm has to be fitted by a certified installer, and not 'DIY'. Any good installer will be able to install the alarm without the aid of wiring schematics (which aren't available yet anyway).
Most of the prices quoted for alarms include will installation as well.

Good luck and have fun with your new toy :D 8)

which annoys me- when sextons in gloucester fitted one to my scirocco they just spliced all the wiring in straight under the dash in a way that could be overcome in about 5 minutes. untill the main unit shifted where it wasn't secure and the multipin connector pulled out= no engine!

when I fitted a tri-circuit immob to my ma's polo, I re-routed the immobilised circuits (so they have to find six isolated connection points within the engine and dash and identify and cross link them!)

So paying £120 for a badly fitted £30 immob just because it comes with a certificate so say it's fitted properly kinda niggles me!

now gone Sad

merc vito 120- eaten 2 EGR's in 6k bandhead
hairyben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, this reminds me of the terrible alarms fitted to the MEB vans. they were so erratic, clumbsy and annoying through bad design that anyone working alongside their vehicle took to leaving the ignition on all day. they only had two modes- closed empty van or ign on. not good when your in and out the van every 2 minutes. yeah that did wonders for vehicle security... who's gonna nick a sherpa anyway...

now gone Sad

tubby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:52    Post subject: L400 alarm Reply with quote

hi hairyben
i know where your at with that one having spent 8 years training as an mechanical/electrical engineer and a 28 working as one hands-on and management ,i have seen what these certified cowboys can do when i find out what my reg No is i'll phone my insurance co and ask why i Can't do my own (no dis to cowboys) when you diy a job and take short cuts youv'e
only your own arse to kick if it goes wrong.
regards
tubby
ps hope this doesn't sound like a job application Rolling Eyes
hairyben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 17:33    Post subject: Re: L400 alarm Reply with quote

tubby wrote:
hi hairyben
i know where your at with that one having spent 8 years training as an mechanical/electrical engineer and a 28 working as one hands-on and management ,i have seen what these certified cowboys can do when i find out what my reg No is i'll phone my insurance co and ask why i Can't do my own (no dis to cowboys) when you diy a job and take short cuts youv'e
only your own backside to kick if it goes wrong.
regards
tubby
ps hope this doesn't sound like a job application Rolling Eyes

Doubt it as insurance companys like the i's crossed and the t's dotted, that certififcate is essentual evan though it means nothing more than a dixons seal of excellence. If you can find an independant installer though he may be happy to inspect the system and issue a "replacement" certificate for an "existing system" for a charge. Make sure it is fitted to their standards though eg everything soldered.

the other way I expect you've contemplated is just to refit the sys after they've had a go at it and given you a cert but that does leave a bad taste in the mouth, bearing in mind the £300+ systems can be less than £100 to buy!

now gone Sad

tubby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all
thanks for the advice and tips/links it's given me plenty to think about insurance co says okay to fit alarm diy they have been very helpful it's costing me £415-00 fully comp with breakdown cover home start etc plus 90 day cover greencard for S Ireland trip this is less than my previous for a Frontera lwb have now insured wifes car with them (Mazda Demio) Embarassed it keeps her happy
insurance from lifesure ltd (broker)
N. I. G. (company)
again thanks for the assist
regards
tubby
tom&julie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 20:26    Post subject: Fitting alarm to L400 Reply with quote

Hi Tubby
I'm brand new to the world of the Deli. So new in fact I aint got it yet. Been waiting 3 weeks for the DVLA to pull their finger out. I will be needing an alarm system so I was wondering did you source any locally as I'm not far from your neck of the woods. Laughing
Ando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUst had one fitted on mine here in NZ ..Its got all the bells and whistles that the others had except it is not rated.checked with the insurance company they gave no discount based on the alarm except for the fact that it had to have dual immobiliser and specified it did not need to be rated, this saved me about $200. I kept the email they sent stating this by the way. Its a great little alarm by the way AVS 3010 was the brand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: