4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Power converter for Notebooks or other

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:17    Post subject: Power converter for Notebooks or other Reply with quote

I have purchased a power convert to run my laptop in the Van, it works fine however only when the car engine is running. Does anyone know of something that plugs into the ciggy lighter that will power my laptop without the engine going? The laptop draws 19V the device I currentley have is listed here http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/413eb25a0803549a2742c0a87f990693/Product/View/M9695

Thanks in advance.

andy g
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy..
Sorry, are you saying the adapter turns off when you turn the ignition off or do you mean the cigar lighter socket turns off when you turn off the ignition? The cigar lighter socket will only work with the ignition on or in the ACC position. Turning the key fully to off or removing the key will turn off the socket.
In other words... Does it still work if you have the key in the ACC position?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't work on acc on on, only when engine running
petemillis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ando, what I use is one of these

to run a coolbox or other 12v acessories when the engine is off. When driving I run the coolbox direct off the accessory socket, and have the power pack already charged up or top it up using the lighter socket. When the engine's off it's just a case of plugging into this power pack (which has a lighter socket in it). Cost over here in the UK is £19.99 from Maplin. I'm sure you must be able to get one in NZ. It's also very handy when you have a flat battery as it provides loads of cranking power (starts Delicas with flat batteries for me - no prob!).
petemillis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full details of it are here
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040908130813192&moduleno=37385
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 2nd that idea Pete Wink I use one myself for my TV etc. Lots of uses 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the cigar light socket is actually working in acc, I think the the battery voltage may be too low for the 19v convertor when the engine is not running (it'll be about 13.8v with the engine running). May be the battery is on it's way out so the voltage is dropping when the engine is off just below the threshold.

If you run the engine with the convertor and laptop powered the switch off the engine into acc posn, does it stay on for a bit then go off? If so it's the battery votage dropping I reckon. In that case a portable battery may not give enough volts either.

Try a voltmeter on your battery and see what is reads in acc posn when the convertor's switched itself off.
Eagles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 3rd that idea Pete Wink I also use one myself for my coolbox and things when we go camping.
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I aint got one Evil or Very Mad

Hummmm.....One for the christmas list I guess Wink Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Ando

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fellas, good info. I have one more question. "what sort of person takes a TV camping? " ............just kidding. Do ya think were all getting a bit soft in our old age?
petemillis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ando, it's these English campers - they're all a bit g a y ! All I take camping is a pair of speedos so I can have a dip in the sea Laughing
Ando

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things are about $260 dollars here but the guy who installed the car alarm uses a voltage converter 12 to 240volts he runs his soldering iron spot lites laptop off etc that he can do for $150.00 so I guess I will have to go with that. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: