4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Central Locking motor replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHUG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 22:20    Post subject: MOTOR Reply with quote

Hi guys
took the motot out cleaned it and ran it on 12volts but motor very weak put it back and works very slowly,had to take complete lock and handle off to get motor out but not to bad a job. Sorry i cannot show pictures of job good with cars but not computers Can't get pics to load to form,have tried.Will check out that link and let you know thanks very much for help.
shug.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 22:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

petemillis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took the motor out of one to clean up and run it on 12 volts, it went very fast, smoked, sparked and now works very very slowly! Now trying to find an off the shelf motor of the right size. Enquired about re-winding the existing one and was told it would cost about £100!!!!

Steeth, I tried GTFour earlier today for some Delica spares - they don't have anything at all for the Deli, the guy said only "Shoguns".
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Shug
If you've got good pics, I'll host and post them for you if you like Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 19:47    Post subject: PHOTOS Reply with quote

hi russ
that would be magic just tell me how.
also tried that 4x4 place pete and said the same only shogun stuff,have got one from an old ford cd changer same motor but trying to swap worm at the moment will keep you posted
shug
ALC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incase any1 is still stuck, I had the same problem with the FNS door motor. Door lock is easier to get out if u remove the outside handle via the two 10mm nuts.
I stripped the motor itself and cleaned up the armature etc and it worked fine for a while.
But since the CL system is very basic, only using reverse voltage to open/lock the doors, I fitted a solonoid which is only about £7.99 and not had any problems with it since.
All you need is the 2 wire one from somewhere like maplins, I'll get the link in a sec.
Should any1 need a pic of how mine is installed, lemme know who can post some pics on here and i'll send some to you on how to mount it, cos you need to be carefull of the window. Alternativley, i'll meet up with any1 local who needs a hand.

www.maplin.co.uk
part no. YD79L : Car Door Lock 2W

Regards, ALC
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll gladly meet up with you and host pictures for you. Could be very handy in the FAQ section 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALC, pics would definitely be most useful. I hadn't thought of using solenoids but then I guess it's obvious really seeing as these are what are used on aftermarket central locking systems!
Any idea why the original central lock system has such a complicated mechanism driven by a motor with a worm? I'm guessing it could be to do with a lack of suitable solenoids when they first designed the system all them years ago.
ALC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdi, no probs, i'll strip the door and take some pics this week russ thx.

I imagine pete, that its the same with any other mechanical puch/pull type systems, using a threaded worm is the only way of giving any "weak" motor the physical power to do operations such as this.

I'll get them snaps done and message rusty asap.

regards, AL
ALC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, took the pics, they aren't great but will give u an idea of location.
Any1 local with this problem, feel free to drop me a line as I'm quite good with this sorta thing (and being a skinny git have the right size hands ).
Gonna get in touch with rusty, about posting these pics today, as I also have one of my Delica (unwashed) (scratch hiding too Smile ) and 2 pics for the in car entertainment posting.
Cheers, AL
ALC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, simple and cheap, but since its inside the door does it matter ?.
Many thx to Rusty for hosting the pictures and saving me loads of time which means the post is up quicker.

When you take the door lock mechanism out, please make sure u remove the 2 nuts that hold the Exterior door handle in place, 10mm i think. It is much easier to take out the door lock and fit/remove the "rods" with this extra room u give urself.

To avoid removing/losing/jamming ur central locking, it is advisable that u remove the gear pictured below from the inside of the original locking mechanism, which will pretty much free the unit up and not put too much strain on the new solenoid. It may not infact, let the new solenoid work. I also think it minimizes your chances of losing anything , if you only remove the 1 part , should you happen to come across a "sensibly" priced door lock motor in the future and wish to return the door lock to its original state.

Remove this gear from inside of mechanism.

This is the picture of the fitted solenoid :

okay Smile
You need to return the original unit back to its place obviously, because it also keeps the door shut. (Unless the wifes has a large insurance policy, or like me, you chaueffer your mother in law about a lot).

I quite simply cut off the exhisting plug and left it connected to the original unit now installed back in the door, as not to lose it.

Then, you take your solenoid, estimate the position, and mark your holes, with your window in the DOWN position !, to make sure you have left your self clearance.

Then with the window "UP" PLEASE !!! , drill your holes .

Use 2 small nuts and bolts, with nylock preferably or springs and fit your solenoid.

Cut the rod that comes with the solenoid to a similar length as in the pic and attatch it to the correct door rod as in the pic.
(Unless you do drive your mother in law around and want to OPEN THE DOOR by remote control Twisted Evil )

Once solenoid rod is connected to door rod, carefully wind window down, to check clearance with the fitted solenoid.

okay, as you have purchased the solenoid with only 2 wires, i hope Smile, You need to check the polarity of the CL system and your solenoid, basically connect the 2 on solenoid to the 2 on the CL loom , and make sure that , simply by trial and error, that the door unlocks with the drivers door.
If you get it the wrong way round, the door will simply lock as u unlock the car and vice-versa, you will not damage anything.

Once you know the correct way , join the wires permanantly. I soldered them, used some waterproof silicon then sealed them with insulating tape. I don't wanna find things going pop due to water getting in etc 6 months down the line.

IMPORTANT: make sure you use cable ties or something to take up any excess slack in the wiring you might now have, you don't wanna slice the cable with the window mechanism etc.

Reassemble your door.

Now you should be able to use your central locking,locking, as normal for less than £10,
or,
Be able to Eject your mother in law at 90mph on the M3 ;)
"I will not be held responsible for anyone who tries, i mean is silly enough to do it" , but would like to know if you get away with it Smile

Please feel free to ask more questions or for help with this.
Part number from maplins is:
www.maplin.co.uk
part no. YD79L : Car Door Lock 2W
Maplin also has shops everywhere and a very good mail order service too for those of you who are out of the way.
Anyone not too happy about doing this, I'm sure we can arrange to do it at one of the "meets" .
Good luck,
AL

ADMIN: Could also place this in an appropriate section too if it might be of use to anyone else please, thx
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it moved. Thanks for the input Wink

For extra help check this out: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&url=http%3a%2f%2fmorimori.cside.tv%2fdelica%2fdiy%2fdoorm.htm

Further to this, I have since done ALCs conversion myself and I took some pictures.... They can be found here: http://imageevent.com/russpix/photos/centrallockingconversion
I've even done downloadable printable .pdfs which I hope might help anyone who contemplates this conversion. Good Luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: