4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Auto Gearbox Fluid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colball3

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:18    Post subject: Auto Gearbox Fluid Reply with quote

I changed the automatic gearbox fluid yesterday in my L300.
Both the Haynes(Pajero) and Russek manuals say that it holds 6.8 Litres.
Drained the old stuff, put in 4.5 Litres and ran the engine to check levels, moving the selector through all positions. Thing is the level now shows way over the full mark on the dipstick - not just a bit, more like 3 inches above the high mark!
Any Ideas?
Thanks - Colin.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There although the manual says that its 6.8 you will not actually get all of it out unless you remove all of the gearbox etc as some collects in there ,how much did you drain off? Also dod you allow the vehicle to get up to operating tempreture before checking the levels?as this would have a bearing too the engine and box should be at temp b4 checking the levels,if the levels still high then i would drain of the excess you have there so you can achieve the correct level as to much fluid is as damaging as not enough fluid,but basically whatever you drained out should have gone back in as i said you will never get out the whole lot unless you remove everything ,hope that helps atb

Marc 8)

colball3

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,
I wish now that I'd measured what I drained out!
I drove the car for about 15mins so it should have reached temp before I checked. I guess your right and a lot of fluid stays inside the casing.
I'll try and remove some fluid with an oil syringe later.
Colin.
colball3

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove about 1.5 Litres of gearbox fluid to get the level right!
That means theres about 3 Litres of new fluid in there. If the total capacity is of the box is 6.8 Litres, I'd call that an oil "refresh" rather than an oil change!
I'll be keeping a close check on this for a while.
Bye - Colin.
tricky

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a look in the Yellow Pages under Gearboxes, you should be able to find a company that can do a 'full' auto box fluid change - I had it done recently, they managed to remove just over six litres - but they did need to use some special machine - It was most entertaining to watch.

The Deli is much smoother now, especially when under load.
brentley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:06    Post subject: Frequency of change transmission fluid Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
When is the frequency of oil change on automatic transmission fluid and what is the indication on the dipstick when its full?
Thanks
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:13    Post subject: Measuring Fluid Level Correctly Reply with quote

How are you measuring the fluid level?

Both my Toyota Camry auto and my father-in-laws Ford Scorpio have to have the engine running and neutral selected when the measurment is taken - If you measure with the engine off you will see a much higher level in the gearbox.
Check the manual!

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: