Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Fuel Pump Timing Trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smudgeshouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:46    Post subject: Fuel Pump Timing Trouble Reply with quote

I've had the Fuel pump out and replaced the worn seal, which was a relatively easy job if not time consuming, but when i re-fitted the pump and re-timed the engine according to the workshop manual it refuses to start.
I aligned the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley with the zero mark on the engine casing and also checked that the notch on the camshaft was facing upwards, then aligned the notch on the fuel pump gear with the T (Turbo) mark on the fuel pump flange and re-fitted but it won't start just to make sure i also tried the gear teeth either side of the timing mark but still no joy.
Since doing this i have moved the pump gear 1 tooth at a time around the whole circumfrence trying to start the car each time and eventually it did start when the pump gear was three quarters of the way around to that shown in the manual, althought the engine started and idle'd okay there was no power on acceleration(also noisey )
I just don't understand why the timing is out or what is going wrong, i've had the pump out completely 3 times now, and repositioned it more times than i care to remember, although i'm gradually losing patience with it, i havn't given up yet and have still got a few things to try, as long as my battery charger keeps going, but obviously any help would be appreciated by those in the know!!

One thing i havn't altered is the pump to flange timing which i marked before removal and re-fitted as such.

Ps sorry for the long winded post

Ade
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

johnny diamond

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you inspect the crank shaft pulley carefully you will see that the outer ring where the V is for the belts is in fact separate from the inner shaft section and they are joined isolasticly (with rubber to you and me :D )
this rubber section has been known to de bond,and will allow the timing mark to be in the wrong place so you may have to find top dead centre the old fashioned way with the cam cover off,oh and replace the pulley if it is suspect coz it will eventualy part company if it has de bonded Rolling Eyes
smudgeshouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

You where spot on Johnny D, the timing mark was way out, i found TDC the old way by taking number 1 glow plug out and sliding in a thin metal rod in so i could see when TDC was reached, all is well now the engine is running great.
Thanks for replying to my call for help  :D
orfy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news.

Can this go in FAQ?
#1 Written Off.
#2 Going Strong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: