4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

many questions froim new owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
too little too late

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 0:13    Post subject: many questions froim new owner Reply with quote

hi just bought a 93 Delica jasper.

I like it but am left with many questions, normally I ride and maintain motor bikes. so buying a 4WD is a big step for me. impressed with it so far, had it one day next day took it up and over rolley hill moor, does any one know the rochdale area.

glad to find this site here, it indicates the vehicle has generated some loyallty, in a world where not many things do.

The 4WD drive indicator comes on, when I put it in 4WD, but the wheel lock light indicator has not yet come on. from my limited knowledge of 4WD, I expect the wheel lock light to come on in 4WD when off roading. to indicate it is controlling wheel spin because of loss of traction at one or more wheels.

The other time the wheel lock light might come on I understand is when changing inito 4WD either low or high.

So far the wheel lock light has not come on, do I need to find bigger steeper, slippier hills, I presume the wheel lock is working because it went off road okay. just the indicator may not be working, I have already seen the thread about wheel lock light wiring failure. however before I go looking I would like to know when this indicator is suppopsed to light up.

There is an A/T temp indicator on the console that lights up before the engine is started can anybody tell me what this indicates.

There is also what looks like a little radiator symbol on the console that again goes off when the engine is started,
I presume this is the coolant indicator. Can anybodytell me what this is

The fuel tank low warning light came on and I managed a further 70 kilometers, not all of it conservatively, before spluttering in to a gas station, only just made it. Can anybody tell me what is left in the fuel tank when the light comes on, and how urgently i need to find a gas station after the light has come on.

the cassette is not working, is there a replacement, modern slimline replacements will leave a big hole in the console.

does anybody know the intervals for replacing the engine oil, the automatic transmission oil and the differential oil and with what specific grades do I replace them.

enough questions for now, So far I like the Delica as a former 145 mph head banger I'm certainly finding life different in the slow lane,not sure I can live with traffic jams, even with a fully working in-car entertainment system.

grateful for any information on delicas, also any insights into the meaning of life, the universe etc.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 0:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the orange light is concerned, it lights when you engage the Centre diff lock in 4HLc or 4LLc mode. which are the two most forward positions on the lever. In other words, if you start in 2 wheel drive and push the lever forwards you engage 4WD high high (but no centre lock). If you push the lever forward again it will engage the centre diff lock in 4WD high. And finally one more push engages 4WD Low with diff lock.
Hope this explains the transmission side of things. I suggest you buy a manual from the club shop which has a section on this.
Cheers
PS Sorry I've just seen you have a L300. I was describing the L400 system, I don't know if it's the same.....
From a former 165mph R1 head banger Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there TLTL & WELCOME to the club..... :D

I can offer 'some' advice on the L300 4WD system, but being a newbie to 4x4's myself, can only tell you what I have picked up since owning my L300! Wink

Firstly, when engaging 4WD, you must be stationary and ideally in neutral or park. When you do this, a small green symbol should come on that shows you are in 4WD (pic of 4 wheels and drivetrain)

V. Soon after moving off, the wheel-lock light should come on to indicate that the front driveshafts have engaged and are now being driven along with the rear wheels - i.e. you are now running in 4WD Wink

If after a few yards, the Wheel-lock light has NOT come on, then either your front hubs are not automatically engaging (either siezed or you've got manual hubs) OR the light is not functioning due to either the bulb blowing or a connector coming adrift somewhere.

At this point, I must let you know that I have NO knowledge WHATSOEVER of where the wheel-lock sensor is! :? Simply because mine has always worked and I've therefore never had to look! Wink

Because the L300 has a transfer box instead of a centre diff, we are not able to run the vehicle in 4WD on anything other than rough or loose terrain (mud, wet grass, rocks, snow, sand etc....) otherwise diff 'wind-up' will occur and something is likely to go bang and cost a lot of money! Shocked (sorry if you already know this - I'm just letting you know all that I know! Wink )

The last thing - when finished in 4WD, the front driveshafts will remain 'engaged' even when running back in 2WD. (if the Wheel-lock light is working, this will stay on!) To get aroung this, you need to reverse the car about 20yds and go forward again to allow the sensors to see that 4WD is disengaged and then it will clunk out of lock and return to normal (if that makes ANY sense!)

I hope this is of 'some' help, and wish you all the best in getting the problem sorted....

Regards,

Bruce.

AndyLaser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings TLTL,
with regard to the cassette unit, you can get a little storage tray to plug the gap when you fit a standard sized unit. I'm impressed you got 70km after the fuel light came on.
chiefie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a useful note for both bruce and tltl(by the way welcome to THE club)
you can engage 4WD high at speeds upto 100kmh(60mph) but cannot select 4wdl unless stationary.
i'm pretty sure most of this has been done before somewhere.
i run mine in 4WD on wet roads or towing without too much trouble unless turning a tight corner, didn't get told on my mitsi 4WD trasmisions course that there would be any great probs
hope this clears a few thing up, or confuses further Shocked Shocked
just editing this after checking my manual, forget the first bit unless you have superselect(after 1991 i think) and take note of bruce
yes i am an idiot for not checking first :? :? :?
Dave C

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted reply but it went as a new topic,moderator HELP please,pretty please
tricky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Wheel drive - Suggest that this is only used on very slippery surfaces as the is no central diff - so all the wheels turn at the same speed. Really - you should only use 2WD until you think you are going to get stuck, then engage the 4WD.
Also - it should only be engaged when the vehicle is stationary and the gear lever is in 'N' or 'P'.
When switching back to 2WD - make sure vehicle is stopped and then reverse about 20m to switch off Wheel Lock hubs.

A/T Temp light comes on when the Automatic Tranmission Fluid and box is overheating - pull over asap - put the gear lever into P and leave the engine running until the light goes out - then you can continue your journey - but check auto box fluid level.

The other light with the picture of a radiator is probably the Diesel fuel filter warning light - If this light comes on after the engine has started - then you have water accumulated in the diesel fuel filter - stop the car - get underneath - find the bottom of the filter and there you will see a white plastic tap - turn it slowly and let the water out into a suitable container. The fuel filter should be changed every 20,000 Kms - use a genuine Mitsubishi one.

Oil change frequency is 5000 Kms or 6 months - whichever comes sooner. Make sure that the oil filter is changed at the same time.

Also - I would suggest using a genuine Mitsubishi oil filter.
too little too late

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 21:59    Post subject: many questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the information so far.

Have found that owning a four wheel drive is a lot more involved than I previously thought.

So far have only just managed an oil change, fitting a towbar, light bulbs in the fog lights.

Suppose I just need to keep playing with the bits untill the jigsaw goes together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: