Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Brake Caliper Slider Bolts *Warning* Please Read

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 22:00    Post subject: Brake Caliper Slider Bolts *Warning* Please Read Reply with quote

Not sure how relevent this is for the L300 but here goes,
Right guys and gals read through a few different posts and I've noticed on a couple that people when reasembling the brake caliper slider bolts they have smeared them with copper slip,if you have done this then REMOVE it ASAP    the slip can in fact (and does) cause the slider to seize solid and if your not lucky enough to unseize it will lead to a new carrier or caliper,below is a wuote from a mitsubishi mechanic (who is a member here and at our sister site pocuk) who also worked for lockhead for 5 yrs,i would hate to see anyone having repiared the motor and put copper ease/slip on there sliders only for them to seize solid and cause numerous problems,

Ivor Green wrote:

Not standing on anyones toes , but the best lube for calliper slides is Rubber lube , it comes in tins or small satchet's always but always remember if you are going to remove the callipers to clean and remove the small rubber bellows that ascs as a guide for the calliper slide , if yuo insert a drill a litte smaller than the calliper slide and rotate it a bit with fingers only yuo can remove or loosen a lot of the copper slip the mindless idiots have used in the past , then a quick blast with some WD 40 or the like will wash it out , now get a thin electrical screw driver witn a litte bit of thin cloth wound around it and remove the last of the dirt , now apply a bit of rubber lube to the screw driver and force it into the guide hole , a small quantity applited to the inner working diameter of the bellows and refit , now when reasembeling a small amount on the slide pin as yuo refit it and yuo will be well and truly protected from the road dirt and grime thrown at it , and at the same time putting it back to howe it should be , oh and remember Copper slip is for metal working faces , ie backs of pads and contact points only .

AS I say not standing on feet I worked for Lockheed for 5 years I have seen so many DIY mistakes all with the best of intentions , that it worries me so see how simple mistakes cost money and could cost a life .
I have a saying , if yuo run out of Engine oil yuo stop , If yuo run out of Brakes yuo don't . well yuo do, yuo can end up in a 6 feet pine box .

please please be carefull when working with brakes

Like i say I've seen a few posts where people have done there brakes and some where they have reasembled after other non brake work and have used copper slip,so if you have my advice would be change it asap,
Reason for me posting this??? changed the pads on me dads paj today and encountered 2 seized slider pins both of which had been reasembled with copper slip or something remarkably like it,and ivors post sprung to mind after i had unseized them and used some silicone grease to reasemble ,oh yes you can also use silicone grease as well with no adverse effects.

Marc

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 22:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: