Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Tyres and Wind UP, do I have a problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lskillan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 23:19    Post subject: Tyres and Wind UP, do I have a problem? Reply with quote

Hi

I've just read a post by Pitbull about changing the tyres on 4x4's, and as I am new to this, wondered if somebody could give me a bit more info on the subject.

I have recently replaced the 2 front tyres on my Deli with road tyres, it orginally had Bridgestone Duellers all round. They look like off roaders, so I now have 2 off road tyres on the rear and 2 road tyres on the front. Have I made a big mistake? I am driving in 4WD at the moment but do drive in 2WD sometimes.

Also can someone explain "Wind Up" and is it a big problem if ignored.

Regards Lee

(click logo for more details)

Proud owner, LWB 2.8TD L400 1995 Super Exceed.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 23:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Embarassed

Wind up:

Imagine:

Two sets of wheels designed to revolve at the same rate from the same gearing. with the same power supply and transmission.

Then imagine:

1 set slightly bigger than the other going at a different rate = 1 screwed gearbox and transmission and engine and bank balance.

Suitable project for Scrapheap Challenge.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
splatpanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar, that is a scary reply.
lskillan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh blow

I've done around 400km in 4WD this week and before that I was always 2WD and did around 800km since the tyres were changed. If I stick to 2WD will this prevent any damage being done? Having the front axle disconnected from the drive and having the free wheeling hubs?

But as I have mentioned in another post the, vacuum solenoid for disconnecting the front axle is bust, so I guess I may as well have had it in 4WD all the time?

I had a couple of lamps out on the dash, which I replaced and found that the lights on the front wheels kept flashing. While looking for the fault I checked the switches on the back of the transfer box, all the vacuum hoses and tested the solenoids with a test meter. I found the solenoid for the front axle to be faulty, when I bypass it by swapping a couple of the hoses around and select 2WD, the lights stop flashing after driving a few yards.

So I can go back to driving in 2WD till I get the money for 2 more road tyres. But will this prevent any damage or is the dammage already done????

lskillan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't type BLOW, but you get the idea.

TyrantinTruro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely the diff is designed to cope with the wheels rotating at differant speeds
Ginja Nutz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrantin is correct.

The Deli runs a switchable 'full time' 4WD system (standard 4WD). It has a centre diff to cure the problem of differing wheel speeds. This is why the Deli can drive in basic 4WD at motorway speeds/everyday driving.

The only time windup could really occur is when you lock the central differential. Then the system runs like a 'part time' system. In this case all the wheel will try and rotate at the same speed.

Here are some links you might find useful..............

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnfull.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

http://www.pps.net.au/4wdencounter/4wdtech/vehicle_features.html

From a safety point of view, I personally would not like to run with such differing tread patterns on each axle, and make them all the same type as soon as possible.

I always change all four tyres at the same time.
If you are worried about even wearing of the tyres, you can rotate the wheels to different locations - the Delica Handbook (available from club shop) shows the suggested sequences for doing this.

HTH :D
lskillan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys,

It makes sense now and after checking out those links it all seems a bit obvious. I have the hand book already it was one of my first purchases along with workshop manual. I will be sorting the other 2 tyres soon, its just a cost issue at the moment, having 3 kids well 4 if you include the missus. Any how the central diff saves the day.

Thanks again.

vintdiesel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answers given on the centre diff, it saves the day.

My query is why use 4WD so much? Turning the extra gear wears it out quicker and adds to fuel consumption Shocked . 4WD is only needed when the road conditions are poor due to the weather or the road itself, and those L400 wagons can be selected for 4WD on the run when needed, unlike my old truck. Its good to exercise the 4WD occasionally but you can do that plenty of times in less than ideal conditions.
lskillan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier I have a broken vacuum solenoid, so its easier to leave it in 4WD at the moment. Also read in a couple of posts about fuel consumption and people haven't noticed any great increase in consumption running in 4WD anyway.

vintdiesel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I wasn't trying to preach to the converted. Wink

Mind you I thought a good answer was likened a quote from Sir Edmund Hillary, when asked why he climbed Everest. His answer:

"Because its there!" Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: