4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Tow bars again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Rees

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 23:57    Post subject: Tow bars again Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post although I have been a member for a while.

I have a Delica L400 2WD LWB Super Exceed, I need help with getting a towbar. My chassis No. is PB5W which doesn't seem to match anything else. does the 2WD LWB and 4WD LWB have the same body and what towbar fits them? I have tried to post this before but can't seem to get it right . sorry if 2 postings appear.

Tigger
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 23:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

johnny diamond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

having owned both models with tow bars i can confirm that a towbar is available for the long wheel base but Can't give you any direction as it was already fitted,and from the rear axle backwards both vehicles appear to be identical chassis wise so assume the same bar will fit,but cannot garauntee this,try contacting A1 towbars,or towsure and see if they list the 2WD to be certain,you would probably be best advised to find anothier member in your area with a towbar and try to meet up to compare and measure..... Embarassed :D just realised how that sounds, :D
lucky steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a lwb on an m reg ,, i got my tow bar from towequipe ,, no problems fitting it comes c/w pre wired socket , covers the lot i think it was approx. £130 delivered but if your towing a caravan with a built in alko stabilizer you may have to fit a different towball .... all in all it took 2 hrs to fit inc. electrics hth Smile
Tony Rees

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys i am still trying to find out if 2WD and 4WD bodies are the same.
Tow trust and towequipe have problems with the chassis No. If any one can help I would appreciate it

tigger
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the answer, but this may help...

I recently fitted towtrust towbar and the attchment points from memory are as follows...

1. remove rear chrome bar it attches to ALL the bolts this uses
2. diagonal torsion bars fit from this back to two holes inthe the inside of the rear 'chasis rails' okay i know they are box section but you get the idea...these are directly behind (perhaps 1-2 inches) two ovoid holes i nthe rails that you use to slip in the bolts...

the rest is electricals etc...

now i really doubt they made two chrome rear rails..so my guess is you would be alright there might be a good idea to check the chasis rails...

if it would be of hlp i can always nip outside and take some pics and let you have appropriate dimensions etc...pm me if you want...
Dragon Down South

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the club, even if it is a year too late.

Do you have a rear bumper bar, if you do, it should come off and you should be able to put a tow bar in it's place as per "the kick inside".

As for the 2WD chassis, they are VERY rare but I wouldn't expect a structutal difference between the 2WD and 4WD. Johnny Diamond has the best suggestion of comparing the two.

Dragon.

2005 Mercedes E270 cdi (W211)
Tony Rees

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have a copy of the fitting instructions for the Tow-Trust bar from towequipe but can't see the studs and holes it describes. I can't see a rear bumper bar either. i must be thick or something! I probably need to look at some one elses vehicle to compare.
If there is any one in the Cardiff/S E Wales area who i can meet up with please let me Know
lucky steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony ,, the rear bumper in question is basically a stainless steel bar, going across the full width of the vehicle behind the pastic bumper,,, some delicas have them, some don't.. basically if your Delica has this "nudge bar , it will have to come off,, as this is where the towbar bolts to.. the diagonal brace bars...... well loosely attach them to the towbar and swing them up to your chassis rails,, this will give you an idea off where they'll mount to... i'm sure someone will post some photo's to show you.. i wish i could but me computers a pile of s***e and nothing is ever staigh forward with this thing......... hth Smile
johnny diamond

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

also tony the bolts you are looking for are not on the Deli yet as they come with the tow bar and have to be passed thru the holes in the chassis from the inside out bit fiddely but can be done, :D
Rob Barker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the ground clearence greater on a 4X4 Deli?
If that's the case, then there may be a fundamental difference between tow bars for 2WD & 4WD as the point at which the ball is mounted to the flange would have to be different to give the correct ground to ball height
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: