Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Towbar removal for offroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delica2800tdi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 0:30    Post subject: Towbar removal for offroad Reply with quote

HI

I plan to do some light green Laning in the near future and am thinking of removing my tow ball and pin hitch as I am concerned it will drag along the ground and in doing so will cause damage.
The problem is though if I do remove it, I will have nothing to connect a rope too in the event of getting stuck as the towbar bolts through the towing eye.
Are there any firms out there that make towing eye's that fix to the holes where the tow ball mounts?
If not is there any other way round it?

Thanks for your help.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 0:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rob Barker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave the towbar on and it shouldn't cause too much trouble.
I went over Gatesgarth pass and Walna Scar last year (you can't exactly call that light laning) and it never caused any problems.
When you hear/feel it hit the ground it serves as a reminder to take things a bit easier at that point.
REDNECK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a bit of light off roading in mine, towbar does'nt really cause a problem as its not really any lower than the spare wheel and it's a pretty sturdy bit of kit. consider moving the electrics up though because the bracket for them is not up to being dragged in the dirt. Finally, i hate to say it but if you intend to do anything serious enough to consider removing the towbar think about buying a cheaper/rougher 4x4 to do it in, something you won't care about damaging. hth

No Deli anymore, Mk2 Pajero instead, 2" suspension and body lift, 35's, twin winches etc
Delica2800tdi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the relpy's. The only problem is, the tow bar might be as low as the spare wheel but it sticks out further, which gives it a long overhang.
Has anyone used the towbar as a recovery point to get towed out when your stuck.
I've got a 3.5 ton tow ball and pin hitch will that be okay for recovery off road.

Thanks
Ali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bar dragged a hell of a lot when i did an off road weekend in March, but then i have a LWB and the springs were prety tired. The way i figured it was that the bar is not much lower than the bumper, and if it was protecting that and the spare wheel it was worth it. Since then i have fitted Range Rover HD rear springs from bearmach and don't think i will have to worry about it again as there is loads of clearance now.
I would have to agree with the advice that if you are going to off road that seriously you may be better with an old hack.
I had no problems recoviring with my towbar.
Delica2800tdi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Ali

Thanks for your comments, you right when it comes to protecting the bumper.
Don't worry I don't intend to use it for heavy off roading and only for VERY light use green Laning Smile I would be too worried about damage to use it for anything more. Embarassed

Cheers
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done about as much offroading as the Deli is capable of I reckon without doing serious damage Twisted Evil Even then I've still ripped off my Bash plate Evil or Very Mad Shocked I also have a towbar with twin sockets fitted.

The things to watch for is the sockets. I ripped these off the first time I went off road at the Beaulieu off road course 3 yrs ago Mad I just refixed them tilted up at an angle and they are okay now, I've also lost a ball cover or two, but that's okay as I've found other peoples to replace them with Twisted Evil

Other damage I've seen has been exhaust tips rubbing on dips (This is usually been on modified exhausts i.e. big outlet pipes). Also dangling fog lights are soon lost or left hanging by the wires Rolling Eyes

When you have finished off roading it is advisable to remove the sump/bash guards to facilitate jet washing the mud out of the crevices and believe me there are lots of them Evil or Very Mad Both front and rear suspension arms are hollow and will fill up with mud. Also spend time flushing mud from the cores of the radiator. (Jet washes can cause damage so careful there)

Above all have fun Wink Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: