Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

tyre sizes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonleadman

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 19:10    Post subject: tyre sizes Reply with quote

does any one know what the implications are of having 225 80 15 and a tyre that just says 215 15 on it on the same axle.just checking my spare apart from the usual look and feel to see if its inflated and found out after having the car a month that its an odd size
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 19:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

spacecadet

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, the spare is classed as an emergency wheel,
i.e you can use it to get you to a suitable repairer for your puncture.
but it should not be used for long.this i was informed of by a reputable tyre company.mine has one of these emergency wheels.
h.t.h.
i showed them i'm no fool,
now they call me mr cool!!
zorky

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 225-75-R15s on & a 225-80-R15 spare. I have been told by other club members that its okay as a spare but not to use 4 wheel driver as it can cause axle windup. Also unless the vehicle was specifically designed to use a different size tyre & wheel combination as a spare its an MOT failure so if you have to take it for MOT remove the spare wheel before you go. Laughing
Oldskool Beat
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 80 profile should be the same as a standard size tyre, by standard I mean the size tyres used to be before all the tyres had a profile size :? :? if ya get what I mean scratch Laughing

The only problem is that both tyres are a different width so the profile will be different scratch are you following this Laughing Laughing

After all that my spare is the wrong profile also Laughing
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Cavegod

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

a different sized tyre on any axle where the other 3 are the same will not cause axle wind up,the only way to get axle wind up is to have a larger or smaller diameter set of tyres on the same axle and then drive on full lock on tarmac with the centre lock engaged and then it will only move till the engine stalls or the car won't drive forwards, axle/gear damage will only be caused at higher speeds, i have driven my old frontera in 4WD (permanent centre diff lock) on the road for considerable distance with no wind up! at the end of the day the outside wheel in a corner will almost always give out and slip to prevent wind up

Stop worrying!
jonleadman

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 13:47    Post subject: tyre sizes Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies guys, i am not worried , i just fancied a more knowledgeable opinion before i added it to the list i am going to give to the dealer
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Cavegod (No offence) but I must disagree with you... It is unwise to have any diff 'locked' whilst on tarmac, as you can do damage. If you got away with it, you were lucky.
I believe it is illegal to have different size tyres on the same axle except in an emergency and then it must be a 'emergency' tyre designed for that purpose and temporary only.
I could go on but the subjects been covered many times before here...
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also at slow speeds there is a lot of torque in the Deli' engine Shocked more than capable of breaking something Shocked
Just trying to help
;)
L400 LWB with toys  headbang
Cavegod

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only speaking from experience, i never said it wasn't illegal just stating that no damage would occur if the centre diff wasn't locked and different sized tyres where used on the same axle, if it did cause damge you would only be able to go in a straight line, and as for the Deli i just put it in l4lc full lock and drove forwards and sure enough the Deli slowed down then the outside wheel slipped and all was fine again just as an example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: