2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Hisssssss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L400SH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 16:51    Post subject: Hisssssss Reply with quote

okay, now I've got it :D , and the chaps I bought it from are looking after me but: there's a loud hiss if I kick down or really push the right foot Crying or Very sad . They've changed a pressure valve at the rear end, LHS of the engine (looking towards the back) but it hasn't cured it. The valve they put on wasn't new but it was evidently stronger than the old one ie you couldn't easily pull it out whereas my old one you could. Any ideas would be gratefully received..

Grey colour-coded bars, twin Kenlowes, curtains, Autohaven +, rear underseat box, Before 'n After Waxoiled.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 16:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve
It could be the exhaust manifold gasket,I've heard a bit mentioned about this being a week point,so it may be worth asking them to check that out.apparently its the same on all of the 4m402.8 units including the pajeros,(the valve they have changed is the pressure relief valve its a safety valve for the turbo boost pressure) has the EGR valve been blocked?if so just make sure theres no air letting by on it just check round with your hand carefully and see if you can feel it.Also check the seal and everything around the airfilter housing and also check theres a filter in there!
And basically run round with a 10mm spanner under the bonnet and tighten /pinch up any of the hoses you can see from the intercoller/turnbo etc,also check these pipes whilst running to see if any air is expelled from them via a split or hole,try it at idle and also increase the revs with the help of a helpy type person as well,hope that gives you some things to check,hopefully it will be a loose hose or the like,hth

Marc 8)

L400SH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, I'll try all that. I also noticed that there was an older thread on this very topic. Come Hell or High Water we Will get to the Bottom of it!
Came by your way on Sat. giving the Deli its first run but I didn't think you'd be too enamoured of strange types descending unannounced :o
There'll be another time..

Grey colour-coded bars, twin Kenlowes, curtains, Autohaven +, rear underseat box, Before 'n After Waxoiled.
Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve
Quote:
Came by your way on Sat. giving the Deli its first run but I didn't think you'd be too enamoured of strange types descending unannounced
There'll be another time..

Ya should have looked in matey kettles always on the go in this gaff,would have been good to have a nose and a natter gis a shoout next time your down this neck of the woods,atb

Marc 8)

petemillis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, check what sort of air filter is in the air box. If's it a foam one then you'll get more niduction noise when you gas it. One of the Delica's I've got here at the moment has got a flat oiled foam element and it hisses a lot. The other has the standard paper filter and is quiet as a mouse.
Congrats on your purchase by the way - happy motoring Smile
L400SH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. yeah I've checked the filter, it's new and paper so probably not that and the hiss is a serious volume, I mean loud!

colin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:32    Post subject: hissing Reply with quote

hi all, on holiday last week with the Deli and caravan and on approaching asteep hill ,when half way up had this hissing sound and no power whatsoever,made it to a layby,left it for 10 mins,and fine ever since.any comments any body cheers colin
L400SH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so far they've checked every conceivable pressure type hose and changed the inlet manifold.No joy. Latest thinking is the turbo which they're changing as i sit and watch: 7.56pm thurs! Ho hum.. :?

L400SH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so far they've checked every conceivable pressure type hose and changed the inlet manifold.No joy. Latest thinking is the turbo which they're changing as i sit and watch: 7.56pm thurs! Ho hum.. :?

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Sad
I notice you say they have changed the inlet manifold have they checked the EXHAUST manifold as they are prone to leaks ,also it may be worth hooking upo a pressure tester to measure the turbo boost,as if its over boosting it will cause the blow off valve to open,on the 2.8 the max boost is 95Kpa .95bar which is 14psi ,the blow off valve on a 2.8 is located on the rear end of the inlet manifold (closest to bulkhead) may be a long shot but its got to be worth checking,as it could even be slightly open for whatever reason and loosing boost through it and hissing like mad.
Have you noticed and slight loss of power at all?
Hope this helps atb

Marc 8)

L400SH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc, yes there was a considerable loss of power along with this massive hissing. They changed the pressure valve quite early on to no avail. Now, I have to report that IT IS FIXED :D :D :D
It was the little thingy on the end of the thingy on the turbo. All clear? Laughing What I mean is, the swivel connected to a flap which opens and closes inside the turbo, it was opening or closing when it should or shouldn't!. I'm sure you know what this is called and what it does. Anyway, we are now running rather nicely and can actually ascend hills! :o
Thanks to everyone who offered advice, it all goes into the memory banks for the next time!

Marc
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve
Glad you got it sorted matey :D not too expensively i hope Sad ,was the bit in question anything to do with the wastegate actuator and or the actuator rod?just a thought else i Can't really think what part it was ,be handy if we knew just in case anybody else has the same thing,anyhoos glad your back on the road mate all the best

Marc 8)

L400SH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc, all this has cost me nothing :D , the people I bought it from undertook the work so no prob there. Now, I don't know a lot about turbos but there's a short rod which seems to be attached to a pivot, if you move this rod (turbo off the vehicle, if that makes any difference) the sound from inside is like a metal gate closing and opening. Does this make sense? Could it be what you suggested? Rolling Eyes

0sb0rne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds exactly like the wastegate actuator that you are moving to change the wastegate valve position...

Andy
guerdeval

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 18:04    Post subject: hiss Reply with quote

Steve, it sounds like you had good back up from the garage, what were they called?
L400SH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

the garage is Acton Autos (see note under Dealers) and they have a couple of Chilean mechanics who seem to be well versed in Pajero/Shogun/Delica matters.

chiefie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

the waste gate valves and seats are prone to cracking on the 2.5 and 2.8 engines but this usually sounds more like a whistle noise. just thought i would add that useless info :?
Rusty
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefie wrote:
the waste gate valves and seats are prone to cracking on the 2.5 and 2.8 engines but this usually sounds more like a whistle noise. just thought i would add that useless info :?

Useless info Chiefie Question Question

Hard to distinguish amongst this lot Twisted Evil Laughing

Nothing's considered useless Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: