4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

rot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristopherGodhard

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 16:11    Post subject: rot Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Last week I was doing a small job on the o/s front and when I pulled back a rubber shield type cover from the chassis area of the inner wing and at my dismay I saw a huge hole on the outer side of the chassis, the top where the subframe pin is, is good and the back side and bottom side are also good the problem being is the rot looks like it is under the pin and the little bolt the holds both pins, I gave the n/s a quick look and saw that the rust had just started on the front sub frame pin, my question is, is it scrap or is it a doable job loosening the subframe bolts and all the other pieces to gain access to the rusted areas, it's quite a shame really as the rest of the chassis is absolutely solid and I've just had in the last six weeks a new timing chain and injector pump seals done as well as new front and rear discs/pads and four new calipers,
Any help would really be appreciated,
Thanks,
Chris.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 16:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fairly common place to find rust, but at least it's in a place that any competent welder/ bodyshop can sort.

Read this post and see the photos for a similar problem:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46022

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
ChristopherGodhard

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis,
I've just taken it to a welder who supposedly can weld anything, 30 mins after dropping it off he rings me and say's he can't do the job as it requires the whole subframe being dropped etc etc, but then he says he knows a garage who would take it on they have better facilities which he apparently hasn't got, so when I can get back down to pick the car up and go over to this other garage I'll find out what he says, then I will report back to you, personally I think it can be done looking at the link you added, mine is about the same maybe  Sad but like you said any competent welder could do it, I even thought about doing it myself on my drive and getting a mobile guy in to plate it, all I need to borrow are a couple of very large axle stands and an engine support frame that I know a friend has got and would lend me, I've got most other things I think., but we shall see, anyway, thanks for your input, its very much appreciated, so once again thank you Lewis,
Chris.
ChristopherGodhard

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This other guy who is supposed to have the facilities also reufused the job stating the it would be a six month job owing to the amount of work he's got booked in and mine would be pushed in a corner and worked on a few hours a week when he has the time so thats not what I wanted to hear, do you know any mobile welders in the Sheffield area who is both competant and well versed in Delica chassis?
To me it's looking like I've got two choices,
1, strip the front end down myself and get a mobile welder/fabricator in to fix it.
2, ring Mitzy Bitz and scrap it.
The latter will be painful but I can't drive it, looking at the rot it would be dangerous and even a death trap.
I'll probably post this on the Facebook site to see if any of those guru's know or could even help me out.
thank's,
Chris.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Thats a Bummer if they have first looked at it.  I have no knowledge of welders in Your local.

The chassis in that area is doubled skinned, so I'm assuming it has gone through the inner box section as well.

If time is on your side and you have the space to have the Deli on stands for a while, then cutting out the crap, cleaning it up for welding and getting a mobile welder guy in is worth a punt. But I would get one in to size the work up first.

Also note that Mitzy Bitz do repairs, as well as breaking Vehicles, so consider checking with them about doing it!

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
ChristopherGodhard

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:41    Post subject: Rot Reply with quote

Hi Lewis,(again).  Very Happy
I have messaged a local welder about taking a look but not got a reply yet, I didn't know Mitzy Bitz did repairs they may be an option.
Looking at Delica prices I'm guessing without the welding being done the car is basically scrap with a value of £500, but with the welding done it could be worth £2500, I've owned it since 2012 and then I paid £2500 and I do really think it's worth doing but I'm not sure how much it would cost to get it done, with it being auto and 4 wheel drive it's ideal for me plus I absolutely love driving it, it's no racing car but does everthing I need it to do and for some weird reason I even enjoy the constant tinkering and the amount of people who have never seen one before are amazed at what it is and what it can do, what I'm saying is that I love it so maybe it's worth another investment to keep it roadworthy.
Chris.
andyman

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Christopher, just seen this. Is it still MoTed and driveable? There  is a garage in Dudley, West Midlands called DSP Mechanics. He (Darryl Plover), regularly posts videos of the latest Delica he has in for service/ repairs, and welding, with before, during and after shots (very useful if you come to sell. He does a proper job, - cutting the rot back to sound metal (which usually looks horrific!), not simply plating over it, which just encourages further rot. Folks send him their Delicas from far and wide, often via a vehicle transporter that he works with on a regular basis, and Mitsubishi fan. Darryl is a Delica owner and MItsubishi 4x4 enthusuiast. I haven't used his services myself, but I've only seen positive comments about the quality of his work. I would suggest you take good pics of the rot and send them to him for an estimate, ask about timescales as well.
ChristopherGodhard

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 14:40    Post subject: Rot Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
I think I've seen one of his video's and yes he does look very competant.
I've already found a guy who used to work for MitzyBitz and now has got his own place in Rotherham, and they outsource their welding work now to him, he's a nice lad called Jamie and he seemed to know everything about the Delica as well as the other 4x4 mitsubishi's.
I took it down to him this morning and he said he would keep me updated as to progress especially if he finds more of the horrible orange stuff lurking around the chassis which needs attention.
When I get the old girl back I'll post on this thread what my opinion is and if it's all good then he will be one of the very few in my area which can weld them or is prepaired to take on the mammoth task.
I don't get it with these vehicles, on the rear chassis around the drop link the n/s looks like it's beginning to start, I have had a poke around the area and it is also getting ready but the o/s all the way from the bulk head is like brand new and that is not just my opinion it's also Jamie's who reckons underneath it's one of the best he's ever worked on or maybe thats just a bit of the old flannel who's to say but for 28 years old she's fine.
Anyway thanks for your comment's Lewis and Andy I really appreciate the help and advise.
Chris.  Very Happy
ChristopherGodhard

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 20:35    Post subject: Rot Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Update on the rot.
I took the car to the guy in Rotherham on Thursday and I got it back on Wednesday, yesterday (Thursday) I had a good look around the welded area with the front wheels off, I'm really surprised that he did the work in a short time so i was sceptical to the quality and was happy pleased with both the welding albeit I'm no welding expert, and how well it was neatly painted, so I would recommend him to anybody in the South Yorkshire and north Derbyshire area, so here are his contact details,
Jamie;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: