Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 Melted Wire (Starter?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edlec

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:00    Post subject: L300 Melted Wire (Starter?) Reply with quote

Hey there!

So just a forewarning, I am an absolute beginner when it comes to literally anything car related let alone vans, so expect a level of understanding from basically a child haha. I have had my L300 for about seven months, and in the time have actually managed to use it for a trip once, since then been beset with all manner of problems. To be expected I know, but really hoping to actually get some fun out of it soon..

It's a L300 Diesel Automatic 1992.

The problem:

Batteries were dead when i bought the van, so I replaced them with  EA755 Exide 031TE (from Tayna batteries)
That got the batteries working! So things were looking up.

A little while later I was alerted to the fact my rear fuel tank was leaking, so I had to find a replacement. All good, sourced one, and was about to drive it to DSP Mechanics for it to be fitted and a whole general service/MOT, and the van was completely dead again electrics wise.

Trickle charged it and got electrics onto the dash and the aircon and stuff, but it absolutely would not turn over at all.

Luckily for a newb like me, I decided to take a photo before I replaced the batteries...

and noticed that one connector is absolutely melted?? (see imgur album)

So I'm assuming this is the problem! Does anyone know how easy this is to fix - simple as a wire change that I could do? and what the cause might have been (maybe it was sitting on something hot?)

Again, Can't seem to link my photos in the post due to the spam filter thing but the pictures are here imgur dot com /a/N7VY174

Thanks a lot!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't read that pic on here, but you could try posting this on MDOCUK facebook and send to Darryl.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melted wires may be an indication of earthing or reversed connection. I accidentally earthed the main live (red) from my starter motor to the engine, with the spanner, on a Renault I had. By the time I got it disconnected, it had nearly set fire to the car! (No jokes about Renaults, please - it was a very nice car!) Are your batteries a direct replacement for the originals? The poles are the opposite way around to most cars, but you should discover the cable terminals ar.e only sized to fit the battery terminal posts one way round. If you accidentally connect reverse polarity, you can  blow the diodes in the alternator, which, even when you correct the mistake, current will flow back through the alternator to earth when the engine is off, but the batteries may take charge if the engine is running fast enough (around 1,000rpm or less) to make the alternator produce a voltage greater than the battery.
Uncle Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded for you.

I’ve got some similar loom issues on my L400
I’m blaming age and heat from the engine hardening the insulation, which then cracks, exposing the wire so it can cause short circuits. The insulation on the wire to the intercooler has completely melted back to the bulkhead and possibly further.

Good luck!
edlec

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Uncle Nick!

I used the forums to have a look at batteries and these were pretty well recommended for this model of L300 - Think we were very careful when putting them in to make sure that they were the right way around because we're so new to it, so were trying to be very careful with everything.

@andyman I've also posted on the MDOCUK facebook page now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: