4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Suspicious smoke ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L400crazy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 14:40    Post subject: Suspicious smoke .... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Bit of a head scratcher..

I've got a 4m40T 2.8 L400. Now i know white smoke has been talked to death on this forum but I cannot find a singe post that relates to this issue so I'm afraid here's another ... As the weather has started getting colder I've started getting what looks like thin white smoke out the exhaust when idling after driving with the engine warm. During the summer there's no smoke at all. My first though was oh no head gasket but other than this mysterious smoke I'm getting no other symptoms.

- no sweet smell
- no loss of power
- no overheating
- no noticeable fall in coolant levels
- no issue starting
- no smoke on start-up
- oil is fine
- Drives as smooth as you like and idles just fine

i can only see this issue when the ambient air is cold and its too much to ignore. but when i accelerate or rev it in idle the smoke vanishes

any ideas what i should be checking/ looking out for ? i did hold some kitchen roll inline with the exhaust gasses to see if it got wet and it didn't.

any thoughts are much appreciated!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 14:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the normal water vapour, product of combustion that every IC engine produces. On warm days, your whole exhaust gets hot enough to ensure the vater vapour is invisible. Like you can't see your breath on a warm day, only when it is very cold. No need to worry!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is check the coolant level to see how much, if any, coolant is being lost.

A tiny gap in one of the air inlet gaskets can produce wispy white smoke from an exhaust, along with a tiny gap where the hoses connect, so check the hose clips and the gaskets area for potential marks indicating where a leak may be.

A tiny crack on the head gasket could let a small amount of water seep through into a piston, without the normal indicators of a large crack in the head, as could a tiny crack in the head itself, only pressure testing could prove that.

Note the two channels at the bottom of the gasket, which were letting miniscule amounts of coolant to leak.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

white or greyish smoke might also occur when having an air leak in the fuel system. the membrane of the primer pump where the diesel filter is attached to are cracking over time, first only leaking a bit and mostly visible in idle. that can develop to rough idle and bad starting behaviour.
you can simply check by pushing the pump a few times, if it does not immediately build back pressure or pressure gives in then that´s a potential leak. pump costs about 30gbp. easy fix.

I had this on the Delica when I bought it, just as described. also had it on other 4x4s that have such setup. pretty common for old trucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: