Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

ABS light on again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:33    Post subject: ABS light on again Reply with quote

It's almost as if the ABS system knows when the MOT is due and decides it's time for the warning light to come on again. Sad

I've had some faults with this in the past, turned out to be a broken sensor wire which I made good and I'm confident is not the cause this time.

ABS light came on whilst driving about 50 miles ago but didn't always light up again after cycling the ignition. I could sometimes make a short journey and not see the ABS light. It's now on permanently, doesn't go out at all. I've run the diagnostic and got fault codes 11 (open circuit right sensor), 12 (open circuit left sensor), 15 (wheel speed sensor signal fault, I think this is implied by codes 11 and 12 anyway) and 25 (free wheel engage switch). I'm wondering if a fault with the free wheel switch might result in the other three fault codes.

Any thought on a common cause for all of these faults? i.e. it's unlikely that 4 components would have failed simultaneously and most likely a single issue is causing all four fault codes.

I haven't been using my Delica much at all for the last 3 - 4 months, perhaps something has corroded or seized whilst it's been standing??

Best way to free off a seized free wheel switch?? I'm sure free wheel is okay, not sure about the switch. I did notice the ABS light didn't come on for a while when I selected 2WD, it came on straight away when back in 4WD. It's now on in both 2WD and 4WD. I only normally use 4WD.

Lastly; does the Mitsi control system store historic fault codes and if so can they only be reset using main dealer equipment? I'm thinking three out of my four fault codes could have been related to the previous ABS sensor problems I had.

Cheers
RobH
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RobH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add; I've now checked resistance of both front ABS sensors, right is approx 1.25K Ohm, left appears to be 2.2K Ohm. Is this enough of a difference to cause the issue? I'm guessing it is..

I expect I'll need a new sensor, OE Mitsi is ludicrous at over £200. I've found some aftermarket at £30 to £50, worth a punt at this price. OE Mitsi part I've referenced is MR307040, 2002 PD6W front left sensor, have I identified correctly?
Thanks...
RobH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further adding; I wanted to check there was no further breaks in the sensor cable and whilst trying to skin the wires to get a meter reading, close to the actual sensor, they simply pulled apart with very little force. I'm guessing that the fracture I repaired on this sensor cable last year wasn't the only area of damage, must have been overstressed in more than one place. The fluctuating resistance is likely the cause of the ABS fault.

The original problem was caused by a careless welder who left the weight of the hub hanging on the ABS sensor cable whilst he worked.

Next question is how do I get the remains of the old sensor out of the housing? The aluminium case is seized in, the plastic parts were prised out but the metal part came apart in the process.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the stuck sensor in hole issue and used a relatively simple method of release.

I tapped a long, slim, flat bladed screwdriver down between the aluminium casing and the casting, all the way around to release it from the side of the casting.
Then used a slightly wider one to make a wider hole down one side, enough to fit one half of a set of long nose pliers down, with the other fully insided the casing. Then just clamped it tight and twisted it sideways, causing the whole casing to collapse.
loose enough to let me pull it out.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
RobH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis, I’ll give that a try. Also considering getting the heat gun and/or freezer spray involved. Another fun weekend in freezing temperatures coming up 😞
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful with the heat.

Bare in mind that there is lubricant plastic (upright bearing shell) and rubber seals inside the central parts of the hub,

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
RobH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat caution noted, thanks.

I’ve got a Herth+buss replacement sensor to try, looks oem identical and under £30

Cheers!
RobH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a disappointment. Took me 1.5 hours to get the old sensor casing out, ended up taking it out a piece at a time. Cleaned up the hole, put the new sensor in and it's made no difference at all to the ABS warning light. Took it for a drive as this cleared the light last time I had an issue, warning light still illuminated, hasn't gone out at all since I started investigating.

I haven't done any further testing yet, two hours in the freezing snow/sleet/rain was enough.

Assuming both front sensors are now good it's most likely to be a freewheel switch issue. Please can anyone answer the following:
1. where is it?
2. how can I test it??

I'm assuming the ABS fault codes are historic/stored. Is there any way to clear them so that I'm only looking at current issues?

Wondering where on earth I can get some help with this if I can't resolve it myself. I can't imagine a general garage to have a clue how to resolve it.

Brakes seem to be working perfectly well.

Cheers
RobH
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say this but -  a cracked ABS ring, at the back of the hub, will give the same issue, if a piece has dropped off.  Sad

Disconnecting the main battery will clear all fault codes, from all systems.

ルイス
RobH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis. I'm hoping that the ABS ring would only show an issue when driving. My ABS light doesn't go out whether I start the engine, move the vehicle or not. There is no 'click' at the moment I would normally expect the light to go out.

I've been checking the fuses and relays. All fuses test okay but I've no idea which relay does what in the engine bay fuse box. They're all appear to use the same part number other than the Alternator safety relay, some of them have different codes printed beneath the part number. I've now got an additional error code 51, which suggests a faulty ABS valve relay. Does anyone have a schematic for which relay does what in the engine bay fuse box please? I can't read Japanese.  Sad

I have tried previously to clear the fault codes with an overnight battery disconnect but it didn't seem to work. I'll give it another go tonight.

Cheers
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this post:- L400 fuse box translations

This link is to the 4WD ABS system workshop manual, in my online BOX folder:- https://app.box.com/s/l3emzfp9460kwk277avnvrcx1pc4cc0p

HTH

ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:55; edited 1 time in total
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play in the front hub bearings can also take the ABS ring out of tolerance (too big a gap) between ring and sensor, even if only momentarily, it will throw the light on. Often shows up on the first bend, if it didn't come on when you first set off. You need to jack the wheel off the ground and give it a wiggle. Play in suspension joints does not cause this issue, - only the wheel bearing, so you need to be able to identify where any play is. This is true for any car, not just Delicas. (before you get on my case, Deker!)
RobH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andyman. I'm reasonably confident it isn't a 'dynamic' problem but an electronic one, otherwise I'd expect the ABS light to be out in some circumstances, it never goes out. All of the transmission mode lights either stopped working, flashed or came on intermittently almost from the day I owned it (approx 7 years now) I'm guessing it wouldn't take much for a 'functional' switch to go the same way as these mode 'display' switches.

Thanks for the link Lewis. Unfortunately this proves that none of the bank of relays I was looking at in the engine bay fuse box have anything to do with the ABS system, the ABS valve relay must be somewhere else.

I'm not able to see anything at your 'box' account Lewis, it's asking me to login Sad
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the BOX server was playing up. I've corrected the link in my post above.

HTH

ルイス
RobH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Lewis. Really helpful info!

I asked an old mechanic acquaintance for his thoughts and he brought his diagnostic code reader round. Sure enough it identified the same faults I'd already found. He tried to delete the stored faults but it wouldn't let him, said existing faults must be resolved first. Oddly, when I started the vehicle to go home the ABS light went out and hasn't come on again yet.

Disconnecting the battery either didn't clear the fault codes or else the same faults returned immediately upon reconnecting. I'm of the opinion that the fault codes are stored until cleared electronically. I haven't checked the flash codes again as I don't want to tempt fate.

Fingers crossed...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. UK Based Mitsubishi garages cannot read the faults, due to Mitsu Japan not releasing the diagnostic software to them, du to no them not being officially exported here.

ルイス
RobH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember what the make of his code reader is but he reckoned he paid £1K for it. It read the codes easy enough and listed the fault number and the fault description - which matched the list of codes and faults posted by Homer Lawtey here http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38467&highlight=abs+fault+code I have to admit I was quite surprised it was able to get anything at all from a Delica.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: