Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Random Gear Changing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:33    Post subject: Random Gear Changing Reply with quote

Hi, for a while now I have had issues with the gearbox not going into lock up when it should or jumping in and out, then I had a journey from Brighton to Barnsley the other day and for the last quarter of it, the gearbox started jumping in and out of overdrive. Most of the time the change was very aggressive and could repeat half a dozen times before staying out of OD.  

Yesterday I drove from Barnsley to the Isle of Arran with exactly the same, but the majority of the journey was without overdrive, with it trying to change into OD periodically. There was no pattern to it from what I could see, hills, speed, throttle position didn't affect it.

Driving round the island yesterday I noticed at between 30 & 40mph it was changing up and down a gear when it shouldn't have been as well but this was more subtle with it only going up and down a few hundred revs rather than a thousand or so with the overdrive.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was mine my first action would be to drain and replace the ATF.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Doglet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy
I have a similar problem, mine works fine on local journeys, but after 3p-40 miles, jumps out of 4th gear into 3rd gear and stays there. Horrendous for fuel economy!
I have posted this issue, but so far multiple views but no reply,  positive or negative.
So, I have done a little research on my own and in my case,  it could be the gearbox temperature sensor misleading the ecu, which in turn  determines which gear to engage. It sounds like you may have a similar issue.
I will keep you posted on this, while you enjoy Arran. Avoid the midges and enjoy the distillery tour! I did Arran many years ago, but in a Jag!
Regards
Kev
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy/doglet

This can be a symptom of speed sensor on Left and rear on gearbox.
It is cheap and easy to replace - could be worth a try
Part No. MR122305  available on the bay.  Did mine a couple of years ago = Well pleased  Smile

Watch your speedo for erratic readings.

Another trick = try using HOLD on the Dashboard switch to get you home.

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not the right usefor 'Hold' and will make the issue worse.

Hold Mode: - Hold showing on dash (usually off) - For use when moving off, from stationary, on snow or slippery road surfaces. When the gear selector is placed in 'D' position, the vehicle is forced to take off in 2nd gear rather than 1st, to make starting easier, then go into normal mode.  This saves having to have the gear selector in '2' then move into 'D' after you get going.  It also restrict the maximum revs of the engine to 3000rpm (approx).  Note:  The Delica Manual states:- "low revs, when under high load will generate more heat in the gearbox.  You can flip the A/T switch to any mode whilst driving without taking the vehicle out of gear.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, wild camping on Arran means very little mobile coverage and as you said Kev, midgies!
I replaced the speed sensor six months ago but it didn't make a difference. The trans fluid looks good and is the right level but I guess I should change it and the filter as a matter of course, the temp sensor sounds interesting, not sure where it is though but I will have a look.
MPG is what you would expect driving round the island, the journey home though😭,

Cheers, Andy
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Lewis.
I have to disagree with statement "Make the issue worse"

A few years back, from a Welsh meet, my speed sensor failed, of course no O.D.

Anyhow, I found that using the HOLD function got me home with Torque Converter locking and O.D.

But as we know. "No two Delica's are the same"

Mr D
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning, well it's not the temp sensor as the problems are from cold so that's ruled out,
Andy
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, I couldn't get anyone to do an oil change on Arran so drove back to Brighton with a three speed gearbox!  I had fourth and overdrive for less than a quarter of the time; it would periodically try to change gear repeatedly and give up after a while and then on occasion would go into fourth and od and stay for five our ten minutes before dropping back to third.
Got back to Brighton and broke my wrist so couldn't do anything, anyway I have now changed the oil and filter getting about 6 1/2 litters out. I now have smoother gear changes all the way up to third and there it stops.
I have LEDs on the live wires to 1,2,3 & 4th gear solenoids which show which solenoid is being activated, there is no signal going to the fourth gear solenoid hence no gear change.

I haven't a clue where to start with finding what the problem is, has anyone any thought on this?

Cheers, Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the temp sensor is on the top front of the block, but there may be two. Whichever sensor tells the gearbox ecu that the engine is hot enough to permit engagement of O/D may be malfunctioning/sending erratic signals.
If it is a single wire sensor, the simplest thing is to disconnect the wire and earth it to complete the circuit.
Equally, the sensor wire may have a fault/break in it. Also, dodgy O/D switch (not uncommon) or wiring to it may be faulty.
L400s have been known to develop this O/D issue simply because of low coolant level, but I suspect you might have noticed that! I'm surprised other L400 owners have not pursued this suggestion.

PS, I know nothing about L400s, as I don't own one. I only know what others have posted in these and other forums and told me personally.
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, the sensor is relatively new, can't remember why I replaced it but that's by the by.  Not sure if it effects 4th gear or just OD, but it's simple enough to ground the wire and see if it makes a difference.
Watch this space, cheers Andy
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm getting a foggy brain as the gearbox doesn't actually have a 4th gear! 🥴
It's overdrive and lockup it's jumping in and out of and the temp sensor plays a key part in this!
Just out of interest, does anyone know which wire goes to the lockup solenoid from the ECU?
Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but; disconnect your engine battery for a couple of minutes.

That will reset the memory in the Gearbox ECU.

You can download whichever OEM L400 Workshop manuals you need, or all of them, from my Box folder.
I've also included various updates to wiring systems as parts / systems have been made redundant.
The list includes engine types used in other Models.

See:- https://app.box.com/folder/145031813772?s=m13elyhmhh64i4fseawch0hh1myzs7ds

HTH

ルイス
b3lha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth checking the throttle position sensor, assuming there is one.

Not an expert on Mitsu specifically, but most auto gearboxes use vehicle speed and throttle position to control gear selection and TC lockup.
Sometimes, when the TPS gets worn, the signal can be a bit flaky in particular positions and then the shifting and TC lockup can be erratic.
Doglet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the late resistance reply, but mine is now cured. I did a gearbox oil change when I bought the truck in June, but of course only about half the gearbox oil drains out, so a mix of old oil and new. I decided to drain and refill a second time, therefore somewhere around 75% of the oil is now new and that cured the problem. It now shifts fine but more importantly holds o/d 4th when fully warmed up (30-40 miles plus).
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be warm enough after only five miles, even in winter. Is your thermostat working okay? (If your heater is warm, your engine will be to) Apparently (I am told) Dexron II spec ATF is NOT right for L400s - should be Dexron III spec/Diaqueen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: