Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Garage Incompetence / Mess Up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bizmarty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 15:24    Post subject: Garage Incompetence / Mess Up! Reply with quote

I usually do everything myself of Deli because of this very reason. This time I thought I would treat myself and let someone else suffer and let garage to change the CV Boot (orange one in pic). This was a few months ago. Today I started to change the Break Discs and came across this.
Someone could not get the Hub Circlip to locate so thought it would be a good idea to weld the Circlip to the Hub.
Would there be a reason that they could not locate the circlip when reassembling? something not fitted correctly behind?
So I take it, I will need a new Wheel Hub and Drive shaft? Is that correct? I might be able to save the hub I suppose, once I see how bad it is when I take it off.
I'm so gutted, I could really do without this expense at the moment.  Crying or Very sad

https://u.cubeupload.com/bizmarty/CVBootReplaced.jpg

https://u.cubeupload.com/bizmarty/2.jpg

https://u.cubeupload.com/bizmarty/1.jpg

https://u.cubeupload.com/bizmarty/3.jpg

(oversize image(s) regrettably converted to url link(s), as per:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38592
Max usable pixel width is 800. Admin)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 15:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Doglet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is appalling.  Speaking from Shogun experience (looks the same), the circling beds in the groove when the hub is seated correctly. This begs the question is the hub seated correctly?
I would take it back to the garage and demand an explanation and rectIfy.
If they resist, you could consider trading standards or a VOSA assessment, but this may render the vehicle unroadworthy if they deem it to be so. I know of cases where even mentioning this course of action to said garage has resulted in a change of attitude and prompt rectification!
Good luck!
Bizmarty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm on my own with this one, garage was in Scotland, Deli now back in Bristol!
I'm trying to work out what I need, I think I need the Bearing Spacer Mount and not the complete Hub as I first suggested and a L/H Outer CV Joint, is that correct?
There are some on eBay and one at Milner, would anyone know if the Milner (HDK Brand) is any good, or should I source something different?
Milner HDK CV Joint
Are they the same both sides, so I can't order the wrong one?
Thanks in advance.
Doglet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, slight problem  of distance! Doesn't,  sit well, letting them get away with it though, makes you wonder what other outright dangerous botches they do on other customers car, eh?
Back to the point, looking at the pictures again (with my glasses on this time!), the welds look poor, possibly little or no penetration.
If it was my car, I would take a small cold chisel and see if those spot welds just ping off. Would cost nothing (has to be done anyway to remove the hub), and you may just find the bodger can't weld either and no damage has been done!
Just try it, I am generally a glass half full person, until it all goes belly up!
Regards
Kev
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting they have put the brass oil seal in the wrong way round. The centre in bevelled so it will only fit on the shaft the correct way round.

As it will have not been able to locate correctly the hub will not be able to move far enough up the shaft to get the circlip and shim in place.

It should be fitted so that the slotted side of the brass ring is facing outwards, as per my photo below:-

I have bought and used one of the Milner outer end units, to repair a damaged drive shaft, as per the info in these posts:-

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47470

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51313

Note that with the welding damage to the outer hub plate, unless you can get the plate perfectly smooth to take a shim and the circlip, uou may need a new plate.

There is a 10 piece shim kit available to ensure you get the correct sie to take up the resultang gap under the circlip.
Mitsubishi Part number MB241229. You will need one for each side.

Regardless of the distance from the garage I would still be inclined to have them pay for the parts and work to be done to repair their bodge - assuming you have an invoice to prove to the court they did the work/bodge/damage.

NB: Personally I would have never fitted those two part eurethane boots. They harden over time unless kept well greased. They are also prone to coming apart.
     The black rubber ones may be thinner rubber but have a better lifespan and are self lubing.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think it worth a letter with photos etc and technical explanation that Lewis gave on parts incorrectly fitted.
Demand for a full refund for the original work as a start and see if you can get a quote, or hours of labour for rectifying, and quote the cost of parts required.
Say you consulted the expert owners club (you don't need to name names).

Worth the cost of a registered letter, see if they offer you something to go away.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bl---y idiot's, obviously looks as the thrust washer fitted wrong way round.

It looks like you may be able to chisel the rubbish welding (this is a job I understand, and know how to do)
You will need a sharp chisel, and be have a good bench grinder to shape a metal cutting chisel.

The hub must be removed. It will be necessary to clean the Circlip groove (Dremel type tool  Question )
On assembly, the Brass/Bronze thrust washer be located correctly, the right way.

TIP =A temporary circlip can be made from steel wire (Piano wire is best)

This is metal work I understand, and and have done -

I'll do you a deal = I 'me going camping next week, was thinking North Wales, but, not been to Cheddar Gorge for over 60 years.
You show me a good campsite in that area - I'll do your work on the drive shaft.
You must supply a good Cold chisel and bench grinder, suitable hammer/s.

Also, I will have a partner, to be fed and watered would be nice  Smile

I'll do your job then up the A38, Severn bridge, then A 48, or A 470 to North Wales.

Mr D
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

M? bismarty

I will also need at least one good axle stand, and trolley jack.

I'll be on a camping holiday - so don't want to be carrying working toys/tools

My main aim, is to show/teach you how this work is done with the Mitsubishi front drive system, at no charge to you
(I don't need that money stuff from Delica owners)

My price = To be informed of nice places to see, and campsites to go to (And to be fed & watered)

Will send P.M. with phone mobly No.

Mr D
Doglet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very generous offer, Mr Deker. May I respectfully suggest a new circlip is waiting for you, as the existing one may well have lost tensile strength with the heat of the awful welding.

Posting this for the benefit of others, as I'm sure you know your stuff!

Regards
Kev
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the thin shim washer still there  Question  Probably not  Sad

The thin shim is placed twixt the circlip and hub.

Mr D
Bizmarty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:59    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

Mr Decker! Thank you so so much for your kind offer, above and beyond!
I am happy to report though, that the job is now done! The welds just popped straight off with very little damage to the shaft itself. (see pics)
Washer was indeed the wrong way round! Typical that I bought the new CV joint but it wasn't needed. Oh well, another part for the "just in case" parts box!
Thanks again Decker, much appreciated. thumbleft

Deker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodie  Smile  - - - BUT -
I don't see the circlip and shim washer fitted   Exclamation

Mr D
Bizmarty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats just a picture showing damage to the shaft after weld removal.
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done sir   Very Happy

Do you have a thin washer, goes twixt circlip and hub  Question

Mr D
Bizmarty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

No unfortunately not, tried Mitsubishi UK for the 10 piece shim kit Lewis referred to (MB241229) and they reckon you can't get them anymore. The only place I could see them was on eBay, either in Japan on UAE.  Crying or Very sad
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, try this -

You may need to remove the road wheel. With the "Grease cap" off,
grasp the drive shaft and pull/snatch it towards you.

Using "Feeler gauges" now measure the gap twixt the circlip and the hub.
I am English, brought up to proper units of measurement, you may have a gap of 'say 15 thou (0.015")
Try and buy 10 thou "shim stock" and make a washer.

If you need tips how do that, please ask  Very Happy

The original washer is made from a tough steel - So, don't make one from "An old Beans can"

Mr D
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milners sell the shim kits,

Andy
annek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are sending copies of all these pics and the faulty workmanship evidence of that garage, for which you have the privilege to pay!

Its only thanks to here and your own skill that you've been able to rectify this without incurring much of a cost.  You should at the very least get them reported for faulty workmanship, many would not have the wherewithall to do this, and it will be a community contribution for others to benefit from, then demand your money back.

So glad you were able to fix up their bodge job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: