4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Spare wheel holder on L300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainVeg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:10    Post subject: Spare wheel holder on L300 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just got my first L300, and after two weeks, I realised that the spare wheel holder does not look very safe... It is attached on the right side to the chassis via a sort of hook with screw, but on the left, nothing. When I looked underneath, I can see the same sort of mountings on both sides, but it looks like the hook is missing on the left.

Could someone confirm that there should be two hooks? And if so, where can I find a replacement for the missing one?
Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

BFG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spare wheel carrier is held on by a hook just under the back step and kinda like a two point hinge further back.
It's designed so you use the bottle jack to lift up the whole rack "hook side" till the hook can be twisted away from the rack (using the large
nut on back step) and then dropped down as you wind the bottle jack down using the hinge side as a pivot.

I ditched my carrier as my 31" 10.5" R15 spare wouldn't fit without rubbing on the rear axle... I just got the straps made up to store it on my
roof crate but not got round to lifting it up yet.

HTH

Rich

Dreaming of what MOD to do next!
CaptainVeg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Two point hinge"... Not too sure. I have a picture by the way, this might help:

So one hook on the right, but nothing on the left. This makes it a bit loose, but maybe I am just paranoid because a friend of mine lost his spare wheel on the forth road bridge...
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound the same set up as the L400.
If so you have two pivot point's at the axle end and one hook drivers side rear that can be tightened by a large wheel nut sized bolt thru the floor near the rear door catch, but the adjuster usually seizes up.

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
Duxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nut to adjust the tension on the spare wheel carrier in the rear door cill. place the spare wheel in the carrier and tighten the nut until the wheel feels secure, done 60k miles and mines never moved at all, if it feels loose will just need a bit more tension. good luck. Smile
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carrier is pivoted at the front left and hooked at the rear right.
Mine tightens up lovely on both, I have 235/75R15 tyres on,which probably explains why.
If you fit anything bigger on an L300 you probably would have to mod the carrier.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
DoncasterDelica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 15:37    Post subject: Going through the same thing Reply with quote

Any tips on how you made a bigger wheel/tyre fit? Going through the same thing myself
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just about squeeze a 30.5 inch diameter tyre into the cradle, but for width, you need to extend the front hangers with a couple of simple, bolt-on extension plates. I have a 265/70/15 in mine,  with 3" extensions. I've let it down to 25psi to get it in, but it's not an issue, as I always carry an electric tyre pump. Any bigger, and the tyre is pushed down by the rear valance, so you won't get the hook back on. If you want to go BIG, it might be best to consider a swing-arm wheel holder, with the wheel stowed vertically against your tailgate. Some folks hang them on the front.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 19:12    Post subject: Re: Going through the same thing Reply with quote

DoncasterDelica wrote:
Any tips on how you made a bigger wheel/tyre fit? Going through the same thing myself

Try this modification:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48495

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: