Adrian Flux - 01553 845 945

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

No SHOUTING Please - Info & advice for Elgrand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Common room ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 21:36    Post subject: No SHOUTING Please - Info & advice for Elgrand Reply with quote

I' me feeling that a change may be due - Could be Altimeters Disease, or Senile Cementation †Sad

But, I got some mad (Or maybe not so mad) idea about going over to a Petrol engine Nissan Elgrand -
A ready made, or converted camper.

Yeah, I know, Elgrand are ugly. I was told by a car dealer friend, that Elgrand's are very nice to drive.

Reason/s for changing = I live too close to the LEZ. And inside the M25.

The fear, is that, in the very near future - Local Authorities may enforce that Olde Fashioned Diesel powered vehicles be declared "Dirty"
Meaning, that a good Olde Fashioned, RELIABLE engined car be deemed unsuitable for use in a specified area.

There are members on here that have had, or do have Nissan Elgrand.
I would like to know Disadvantages - Elgrand over Delica L400 - - Except fuel usage, not really bothered about that.

And 4WD, what do I look for that states 4WD †Question

Can anyone tell me why I should not go over to Nissan -  The best London Taxi I owned had a Nissan Diesel engine-
faultless for over 400,000 miles - Never needed Glow plugs, only one Starter Motor.

BTW. I would not desert this group, I've met nice folks 'ere, 'an I'll stay 'ere †Smile

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 21:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the Deli, and have a word with the guys on telly who do vintage volts?

Not my favoured choice, but another option?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Elgrandís have a very bad reputation for overheating, between the third and fourth cylinders, leading to gasket failures and cracked heads.

Iíve noticed that a lot of new applicants to join the MDOCUK Facebook and DelicaMart groups are Elgrand owners who are looking to swap theirs for Deliís.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your skills, Deker, I'd have thought you capable of converting the Deli to EV. On the other hand, you would probably need an overnight recharge to get to Coniston and two for Scotland!
Or else buy/make yourself a Gee- Wizz or similar and save the Deli for longer, out-of-ULEZ trips. My Deli is out of MoT, awaiting new brake shoes, the O/S rear hub oil seal (new ones arrived a week ago) having leaked oil †into the drum. †Ho- hum.
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andyman and Green Grouch.

Ide love an Electric Delica.

I know how to convert, sadly lacking equipment, namely - - -

Loads O paper displaying the Queens head  Sad

Mr D

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
b3lha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Elgrand have Euro 4 emissions certification? I thought they were JDM imports?

Seems unlikely unless that exact model variant was officially imported and put through the Euro certification test.

If the vehicle type is not certified then it's not allowed in the ULEZ, even if the emissions of your specific vehicle are below the legal limit.

I have the same problem because I live 50 metres outside from the edge of London. If Sadiq gets his way and expands the ULEZ then I won't be able to leave my driveway without paying his extortionate fee.  Crying or Very sad
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
A) The Elgrandís have a very bad reputation for overheating, leading to gasket failures and cracked heads.

Iíve noticed that a lot of new applicants to join the MDOCUK Facebook and DelicaMart groups are Elgrand owners who are looking to swap theirs for Deliís.

Gosh - "Time Flies"  Shocked Didn't realise I posted this Q that far back  Confused

A) And Delica's don't suffer similar  Question

Mr D

andyman

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most modern, Euro 4 compliant vans are FWD, and so are much better in slippery conditions than their RWD competitors, you will only need 4WD in rare circumstances for relatively short distances. It's about time some clever innovator started making replacement, switchable, battery powered rear trans-axles to fit to modern vans, they'd only have to deliver around 30bhp for half an hour to suit most of my sticky situations! I see Ford are making all-electric Transits - the rust will probably kill them long before their electrics expire if past experience is anything to go by, so it won't be long until there are plenty of rotten donor vehicles!
alfagunner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the Deli !

Just seen an Alphard today and it must have been designed by the same guy that did the Duck Billed Platypus  Crying or Very sad
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the front valance looks even more easily damaged than a S2 L400, and it's not as appealing as a platypus, and probably doesn't go as well in water! Very Happy
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
The Elgrandís have a very bad reputation for overheating, between the third and fourth cylinders, leading to gasket failures and cracked heads.

No need to worry about that, they all seem to be V6s now.

Had a good look at the Nissan and Toyota MPV's, the interiors are "Badge Engineered"

I did not like the driving positions. So - a replacement car may have to be a D5
(assuming I'm still driving if/when an LEZ applies  Crying or Very sad to where I live)

Mr D

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen complaints that the D5 CVT is very "whirry" sounding, and saps power. Strange, as I thought CVT kept the engine on max torque and was more efficient than traditional hydraulic auto.
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay Andy.

Your suggestion for a LEZ compliant car  Question

I drove a "London Taxi" for over 40 years, they are taller than standard saloon cars,
so Delica fits the bill for a tall car.

I am retired, therefore cannot earn big cash for a salubrious car.

Mr D

andyman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford a D5, it may be better to go for a manual box. I believe PSA have just introduced an electric bubble car - it does 28mph and range 48miles, and can be driven by a 16 year old on a moped licence. Definitely cheap to run, if not to buy. Toyota did a AWD Hybrid version of their later model Estima. If I lived in a LEZ, I'd probs sell the Delica, and buy one of them.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
With your skills, Deker, I'd have thought you capable of converting the Deli to EV.

From what I've read, after market converted electric or hybrids can't be easily re-registered to comply with ULEZ - needs full inspection similar to SVA.
Have converted a transit from petrol to diesel a long time ago and just sent off the V5, so guess they are making it harder to just fake electric to get free tax/ULEZ. Otherwise we'd all be dragging it down the road on the starter motor and claiming it's a hybrid  Wink
Picking up on the transaxle idea, I do think an easy-ish Delica conversion would be to leave diesel to the back wheels (take out transfer case and use a 2WD gearbox tail) then add a small electric motor to the front drive shaft. As Andy says, for the most part a one hour / 30mile range, maybe 50hp would be enough to either run around town on FWD drive only or use both to make 4WD as required and rear drive diesel for the open road.

Watch this space, I'm mad enough to try that idea...

(however, may take eight years, by which time the van will be 40 years old and classic tax so problem solved! †Laughing )

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go decker.

This may suit you and your young lady:- https://storeshops.net/product/mini-electric-car-2/

Inexpensive to buy and maintain, four hour recharge, with a top speed of 25mp and 40 ile range.

Use it inside the ULEZ and trailer your Deli outside the zone, then swap over.  Fit a cable from the Deli to recharge it whilst it's on the trailer.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy.
I 'me not sure that electric car could get to The Lakes from Hertfordshire on one charge.

Lewis.
My friend lives around 45 - 50 miles from me - Same problem as above.

Regardless, I have the Delica bug, there is just no other car like them.

Mr D

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts too, nothing else is as practical, or adaptable, for my requirements.

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference is, we are only being punished by the price of diesel, not having to pay a LEZ charge on top every time we go for a drive! hence the suggestions for the cheap electric shopping car, saving the ULEZ charges for when you are going on Delica-necessary missions! Or just have the compromise hybrid Toyota Estima - at least you can  travel long distances in comfort, camp in it, and NOT have to pay ULEZ charges!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Common room ... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: