Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 Gear Selection L 2 D N R P Dash Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cakejake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:50    Post subject: L400 Gear Selection L 2 D N R P Dash Lights Reply with quote

This may well have been covered before but I couldn't find it.

Anyone wishing to replace the bulbs which illuminate the automatic gear selection indicator in the instrument cluster could use these from:

Captain Jacks Models (search for the website shop) Clear 4mm Diameter 12v-50mA Miniature Grain Of Wheat Bulbs, pack of 5. NOT the 6v!

The ' Grain of Wheat ' type bulb replaces the original (same type) without the need to adjust for LEDs from the 12v supply.

They are marginally less bright than my originals but, for me, close enough.

Removal of the instrument cluster has been covered extensively on this forum but I'd like to add:

Once the instrument cluster is unplugged and out, turn it upside-down to access to the four plastic push tags which release the L 2 D N R P lights printed circuit board.

Each bulb is held in a black rubber mounting which can be pulled, or carefully prized, straight up from the board. This exposes two contact posts. Take note of the old bulb leg route when removing the bulb from the rubber mount.

Carefully push the replacement bulb legs down through the central tiny holes and back up through the outer tiny holes. The polarity does not matter and the legs are long and malleable enough.

Cut excess leg away after routing to match the other bulbs and push the black rubber mounting with new bulb back down onto the two contact posts on the PCB.

You can test the bulbs contact integrity before remounting in the instrument cluster:- plug in the L 2 D N R P lighting unit into the multi pin plug in the dash and turn the ignition key (second position I think) go through normal gear selection.

Reassemble and enjoy full L 2 D N R P display illumination.

NB: I don't have any affiliation with Captain Jacks Models but will say that my bulbs were posted within an hour after ordering and delivered the next day!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:34    Post subject: Re: L400 Gear Selection L 2 D N R P Dash Lights Reply with quote

Cakejake wrote:
Once the instrument cluster is unplugged and out, turn it upside-down to access to the four plastic push tags which release the L 2 D N R P lights printed circuit board.

Each bulb is held in a black rubber mounting which can be pulled, or carefully prized, straight up from the board.

Note that some earlier models have soldered in lamps, as mentioned in this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=362889

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Cakejake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Lewis and a very useful post from your link, thanks.

I used the details from it to access the instrument cluster for the bulb replacement.

While I was in there, I took out the 'guess-o-meter' (the very inaccurate speedo dial) which was a mixture of aftermarket and importer bodge!

With the new dial, in MPH, I drove around a bit with the instrument cluster clear screen unfitted and the needle rest pin removed.

As I was starting from scratch with setting the needle to the dial, I turned the ignition on (my speedo spindle moves up from rest when you do this) and pushed the needle on gently.

With two satnavs for reference, I then took note of the error at various speeds, stopped, pulled off and re-sat the needle as necessary until I was happy with the position.

It took a couple of goes to get the needle to consistently read 2mph over the satnav indicated speed (as many cars are set from the factory).

This means that if the speedo reads 30mph, I know I'm definitely not doing more than 30mph - I'm doing 28mph.

This is one of the most satisfying jobs I've ever done on any vehicle. I will never take an accurate speedo for granted again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: