4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 brake calipers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr.b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:29    Post subject: L300 brake calipers Reply with quote

Hello All,
I've been trying to find a pair of calipers for our 1992 Delica van based campervan, all the sites i've looked at bring up about 4/5 different Mitsubishi part numbers and my brain is a bit confused.
Any help in finding replacements would be greatfully received, one caliper is dragging and dosen't return and the wheel gets slightly warmer than the other one. I would replace the seals but I think our 30 year old van deserves some new ones, still get the Delica grin.
  Cheers Chris & Chris.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.autodoc.co.uk - L300 Calipers
I have used these suppliers on several occasions. They are German, so non-uk stock may take a couple of weeks, but everything they have supplied to me for various cars has been correct, unlike some! This listing was obtained by putting in the details of my own 1991 L300 P35W 4x4.

Calipers on these and the L400 often suffer from sticky caliper slider pins, less so the pistons, - because they often spend long winter months in hibernation, waiting for the travelling/camping/meets season. I have always been able to persuade mine back into action by disassembling, cleaning and greasing the slider pins. Amazingly, I am still using the original sliders and

A sturdy joiner's G-cramp can persuade the pistons to back in, but be careful not to cause the  reservoir to overflow. Once pushed all the way back in, the bellows can be carefully removed, cleaned and checked for splits/condition without removing the piston. A little WD40 squirted into the piston/cylinder interface, then pushing in and out with brake pedal and G-cramp, can loosen it up before applying red grease and re-inserting the bellows and no need to bleed. The slider pins should also be reassembled with red (brake/rubber) grease, - DO NOT use copper slip for this.

(Hyperlink shortened. Admin)
mr.b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 19:35    Post subject: L300 brake calipers Reply with quote

Hello Andyman,
Thanks for the reply, I have looked at the Autodoc site, most of the calipers are remanufactured with a £20 surcharge on the price per caliper, which you get back when you send yours back.
I was looking at Autodoc when I remembered there is a company in Worcester called Big Redd that remanufacture calipers, it's fairly close to us so I mght whip them off and let them do a refurb on them, the price for the pair is £135.
I did take the calipers off and greased the sliding pins with silicone grease, also pushed the pistons back with a g-clamp but the offside caliper refuses to go back after you've braked.
As the Laureal advert says She's Worth It.
                                               Cheers Chris & Chris.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the joys of owning a 30 year old vehicle, especially a grey import; - you can't just go and get parts off the shelf. But the satisfaction of solving the issue and getting back on the road is definitely worth the effort. Good luck.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly Adverts on eBay indicate the L300 and L400 use the same caliper.

Having never seen an L300 caliper I don't know if they are.

See:- L300 - L400 Brake Calipers

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the L400 calliper used 2 pistons whereas the L300 is single. The L400 calliper is an upgrade on the L300's, and fits straight on, improving braking performance, but you wouldn't want to do that on just one wheel!
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a caliper for mine from Milners.
Had to quote the chassis number of the van.
Fitted with no problem and as far as I know it still is working 10 years later.
Don’t think increasing the braking effect of an L300 is too good an idea as it can be made to almost stand on it’s head as it is with heavy braking.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
I heard that the L400 calliper used 2 pistons whereas the L300 is single. The L400 calliper is an upgrade on the L300's, and fits straight on, improving braking performance, but you wouldn't want to do that on just one wheel!

Mr.b did say "a pair of calipers"  Wink

Part numbers are:-

Left:    MB534320
Right:  MB534321

Those numbers came up with this pair on eBay:- Item number:3249214

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
mr.b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 19:16    Post subject: L300 brake calipers Reply with quote

Thanks All,
I seem to remember that a small piece of the brake backplate needs to be removed if fitting L400 calipers, would it be a good idea to put those part numbers in the sticky of useful numbers in the L300 tech section.
Talking of standing the van on its nose, we were driving in Spain when an old lady walking on the pavement suddenly without looking veered left onto one of their raised crossings, I braked and locked the wheels just as we hit the raised part of the crossing, the van definitely lifted off, brown trouser time !
Our mot man advised me of the dragging caliper last july, because we haven't been travelling much I've left it till now.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know the price you paid for tha Calipers and I will see about updating the List.

As Andy will know there was a couple killed on the M6, in Cumbria, several years back, driving an L300 that did a nose dive and went over.
They had hired it and being unfamiliar with it they slammed on the brakes, whilst travelling at a hign speed.  There was a bit of an issue when a police officers statement had the coroner labelling them as dangerous. However it was shown later that it was down to their inexperience and the officers ignorance of the facts of the accident.

Lets face it; There are more police cars, of several makes and models, driven by 'highly qualified drivers' in accidents, than L300's. 🫢

ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!

Sorry late to the thread and not sure if I've much to add but just a quick few thoughts.

Yes, L300 calipers are single piston so different to the L400 ones although from what I've understood you can fit bigger ones without much difficulty (see here and here, for example - I can't vouch for the safety of any of that given the stories of death and destruction mentioned above, but hey ho)

I went through the rebuilding process as Andyman describes a few years ago - basically stripped both calipers completely and replaced all rubber seals etc.
I had never done this before and found it pretty straightforward in the end. Brakes have been fine ever since although tbf it was a preventative maintenance job rather than responding to an actual issue at the time.
I think the "sticking" you describe may well be due to the square-sided seal in the caliper that provides the return "spring".

Hope this helps...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to add, I got the "rebuild kit" for the calipers from BigRedd at the time. Basically just some rubbers and seals etc. Can't find it listed on their website now but this might help:
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/mitsubishi/l-300-bus-p0-w-p1-w-p2-w/3410/10733/brake-caliper-repair-kit?sort_supplier%5B%5D=30
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting the L400 2WD's front calipers and both variations rear calipers use a single piston, as do Pajero's, though there may be some difference in the diameter of the pistons.

I believe the caliper carriers are the same on each vehicle so, could be retro fitted.

I will have to check if I have a pair of spare calipers in my scrap pile and measure them up for comparison. I can't think why I never researched this years back!

ルイス
mr.b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 19:08    Post subject: L300 brake calipers Reply with quote

Hello All,
I received my Maxgear calipers from Autodoc Berlin on Monday, £141.31 including postage and vat, had them fitted today by our mot garage, I'll keep you posted on performance.
They were new, not remanufactured, Have had a close look at the originals and they are very crusty, may be able to resurrect them with new seals.

Cheers Chris & Chris.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Nothing like being confident your brakes will stop you, hopefully in a straight line!
mr.b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 20:38    Post subject: Messy job Reply with quote

Hello Andyman,

I stripped the old calipers today, half the piston on the one that was dragging was clean and shiny the other half was black with corrosion. I pumped the pistons out
using my grease gun, cleaned of grease and filled with brake fluid, worked a treat. As the piston came out past the seal a small hole appeared in the outer boot and
fluid started leaking out, that could be where moisture was getting in and rusting the piston, the inner seals were pretty flexible considering they are 30 years old.

Cheers Chris & Chris.
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite useful to have a spare set of calipers on the shelf.
AWG81

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my calipers so thought I'd hijack this thread. I can't seem to compress my piston back in with my clamp - do I need to release pressure somewhere?

Cheers!
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, you need to pump out the piston.

I should have made a document about this, I have to keep this brief, hope you understand my destructions.

Calliper on car, slacken hydraulic hose, gently nip up, remove calliper.
Have a body pump out the piston/s, wash calliper, pistons in hot soapy water and rinse.

Inside calliper body there is a rubber seal - remove it, Do NOT damage the seal, you will see crud on the seal and in the groove, clean it.

Ensure all is dry, apply rubber or silicone grease tp the seal, and re-insert it, apply grease to the piston and insert.
NOTE: The piston/s should enter the calliper with hand/thumb pressure.

Re-assemble parts and bleed with brake pads installed.

HTH

P/S. I have done this job hundreds of times, on cars and motorcycles. Never failed.

Mr D
AWG81

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deker, thanks for this - Apologies, I should have provided more details, I had already pumped out the piston and cleaned it up but I could not seem to re-install the piston into the caliper. I did get it home eventually but certainly not with thumb / hand pressure. I needed a g-clamp and a lot of huffing and puffing. Brakes are all bled and everything is working fine now but I wonder what I was doing wrong for next time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: