Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Who has a working sliding step? or rather, who doesn't!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annek

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:49    Post subject: Who has a working sliding step? or rather, who doesn't! Reply with quote

Hi

comments I get are that sliding steps that work are vanishingly rare, so who are all the owners who's steps don't automatically slide out anymore???

I know I've heard it said on here....?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Doglet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the problem?
I've just bought a Delica with a sticky side step. Works with a gentle toe tap! I intend to strip it down when it stops raining to see and sort what is sticking. Should be a simple fix as the wretched thing lives underneath and therefore picks up every little bit of grit, oil, detritus off the road!
annek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a toe tap (a bit too strong), and the parallel back bar rod broke at the rear end, so it moves the front out but not the back.

Any ideas?
Doglet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said a tap, not a sledgehammer!  so you need a new bar? can't help you with that   ut as I have mine up in the air today, changing all the fluids and a general check over, I hope to strip my step down, clean it up and see if it works as intended! it  works currently with a SLIGHT tap, but I'm fussy and want it working reliably!
annek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, mine was damaged on the return journey as it came out fine but wouldn't quite go back in and when I gave it a nudge....hmmm

good luck with stripping yours down, and if, in doing so, you can see any way of effecting a repair to the back bar would be great to hear it.  I am wondering if the bar can't just be welded back together?  Its snapped at the rear end (towards the car rear end of the step)
Doglet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me take a good look tomorrow while it's still in the air. I'll let you know, for what it's  worth as it seems us new members have to earn credibility here, without any verification of qualifications, background or experience!
Doglet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, mine is now working fine. pressure washed it, then gave it a good spray with FS 365, a bike at corrosion spray (similar to WD40 but dries, leaving a protective film). I intend to thoroughly clean and de-grease the whole mechanism then lubricate, but it works smoothly for now.
regards your broken control rod, yes, it could be welded or remove the ball joint ends after carefully measuring the length of the rod and replace with threaded rod, available from most hardware shops.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

on L300s they automatically rust away and fall off  Rolling Eyes  Laughing

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Doglet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful.....
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pink Pig is just trying to make Annek feel better about her step malfunction! I believe the non-electric L400 step has a similar rust problem, so it may be a case of "Yer pays yer money, yer takes yer choice!"
annek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:
on L300s they automatically rust away and fall off  Rolling Eyes  Laughing

I think thats hilarious!  yeah, S1 L400 had to be completely stripped down and removed (by me  Very Happy ) including bull bars, sand-blasted and resprayed, I didn't like the shiney crome look anyway, so I was very pleased with the final result when I put them all back together again, gun-metal grey matt, I felt they blended in better (as well as being protected).

so you think its possible to buy any old replacement rod with a screw thread on Doglet?  Would this mean altering the ball joints to accommodate a screw thread?
Doglet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest remove the broken rod, remove the ball joint ends, take them to a hardware store that sells threaded bar, make sure the rod is the correct thread for the ball joints and use the old rod as a pattern to cut to length. I'm not sure if the ball joints are male or female thread, but it shouldn't matter as you can buy threaded female couplers. Worth a try and very cheap.
annek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, I reckon its gotta be worth a try too.
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until recently my step worked faultlessly. It is a bit temperamental (emphasis on mental) as now it is a bit late, and even sometimes retatracts then redeploys randomly. I guess something needs a clean
annek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cigarette lighter stopped working!  something odd going on with my electrics I reckon, as the sliding step engine sometimes works and sometimes not, and not always in line with whether the step switch is on or not.  Rolling Eyes
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cigarette lighter has a built -in fuse on the back of it. There's a post on here somewhere about that.
annek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo, thanks, will have a hunt...let me know if you find it though as I've never had much success on the search here...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom of this post, about fuses:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50650

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
annek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers. Lewis!  nice one!
annek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on the link I've just checked out, the cig.lighter, rear wiper motor, and remote wing mirrors are all affected by the one fuse?  Have a got that right, only I'm sure the other bits are working?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: