4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Ball Joints without Grease Nipples

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyehog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:34    Post subject: Ball Joints without Grease Nipples Reply with quote

I have new ball joints to put on the front wishbones on my van.

The lowers have the hex blanking plug which I assume I remove & swap for a grease nipple before greasing them & replacing the plug - My lower wishbones have already been modified at sometime in the past to take this style of nippled joint.

However the upper joints have no nipple nor anywhere to put one. There is just a blanked dimple in the top of the joint where, on the old ones I have removed, there is a similar blanking plug to the lowers.

I am guessing that these new ones are factory greased & sealed for life units, though they feel a bit 'empty' to me.

They are Blueprint ADC48614 units. I wonder if anyone can advise me on whether these are okay just to go straight on...

Thanks very much

Nick
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Print is one make I would trust to do a proper job. I have taken other brands' rubbers off before now because they felt a bit empty, and indeed, they had a pretty minimal amount of grease in  them, so I so I added some before putting the  rubber and clip back on. Sometimes this is very difficult, and have had to use some thin, soft wire, twisted to tighten it, or a small cable tie, to hold the rubber in place.
skyehog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Yes, I'd read on here they were a reasonable brand which is why I sought them out. I think I'll bung them on as they are. As you say I didn't really fancy trying to get the retaining ring off & back on again - couldn't imagine that was the intended process. I've since seen elsewhere that folks with similar jopinnts have drilled & tapped the to take a nipple, but I fancy that even less! Creates visions of swarf getting into the joint.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, could do more harm than good! But it might be an idea to give the taper a good wiggle around to ensure the grease is well distributed before you fit it.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lower balljoints with nipples are invairiably sold for Pajero's and cannot take the added weight of a Delica.

Take a read of this post and the photos in it:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17224

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
skyehog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I was thinking that the hex bolt on the lower joints was to remove so a nipple could be fitted, greased then removed & blanked off again. Reading a post on the thread you linked to Lewis reveals that it is partly for location purposes & partly to ensure the steering stops at the right point to prevent tyre rub. You saved me some head scratching there before I removed them & tried to pump them with grease  Rolling Eyes  The lowers I have are Delphi units & have no additional nipple elsewhere so I think I'm okay on that score. It was reading the thread you linked to ages ago when I first bought the joints that steered me away from the Miners ones as I dimly recall. Thanks all. Seems my ball joints are pre greased, sealed & good to go  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: