Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

2WD 4WD diff issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menteth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 17:27    Post subject: 2WD 4WD diff issue Reply with quote

Hello all you splendid Delica mob.

Help please:  1995 L400 Lwb royal exceed.

Driving along. Super big kerb jumps out, to hit the passenger front wheel at about 40mph.  Completely threw out tracking.  Got that sorted.

However, since this; there is a:

1.  Terrible rumble from front passenger wheel
2.  Terrible banging / knocking / smashing sound when in 2WD. Sound is coming from the gearbox area (central under the floor).  noise is scarily loud.
3.  Much smoother and drivable in 4WD.
4.  Really does not want to enter 2WD either.
5.  In 4WD the van does work okay'ish. 2WD NO WAY.

Any ideas all?  Does this sound like a diff thing?  Transfer box? gearbox?

It is most curious to me, that it prefers 4WD.

ideas please

Thanks everyone.

Alex
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 17:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 1. May be loose or damaged wheel bearing after the kerb knock - Or loose wheel nuts - Check immediately.

The other stuff, if not much help here, try DSP (Daryll ? Steven Plover) mechanic on fb.
Do bear in mind, if he does work for you, he's running a business, needs paying.

Mr D
Greg82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check everything on that corner. Its most likely a knackered bearing or suspension bushing or arm or ball joint. I Can't think why a hard hit would affect the transfer selection. Check the frame around the front diff but the drive shaft links should isolate the transfer box from damage. Check the front passenger drive shaft too but I think that would survive most abuse and cause more noise in 4WD than 2WD if it was damaged.
Menteth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for the replies.
I think there are two issues here. And my original post made them seem linked.  Maybe they're not.
1. A front bearing issue.  simple to sort.
2. The reason why my Deli prefers 4WD to 2WD stumps me.  

The truck does change gear nicely, so I think its not a gearbox thing.  Most likely a diff / transfer box?

Keen to hear anyone else views on why a truck would prefer 4WD to 2WD.
2WD sounds like there's someone under the floorpan with a sledge hammer.
(I have checked, and there isn't)

best
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I'm not an L400 owner, but bear with me. In normal 4WD, on dry roads, the front wheels will only engage drive through the viscous diff if you are on loose or slippery terrain, although the front wheels are engaged to drive, and the front half-shaft and prop shaft will be rotating, -being driven by the front wheels. If you engage 2WD, the mechanism in the bellows by the n/s of the front diff will try to disengage the front diff or hubs. Is it possible that the engagement/disengagement linkage has been damaged by the kerbing incident, so the disengagement is incomplete or partial, or in some way allowing thrash or backlash in the front transmission?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite Andy

Super Select 4WD

1. When in two wheel drive (2H) the bottom two lights only are on (Rear Wheels), push the floor transfer lever forward one position to use four wheel drive (4H) and all four lights should come on. Normal usage.

2. The 4H position will use 2WD until the rear wheels lose surface traction, at which time the Viscous Coupling system will auto-engage the front differential to power the front wheels on a 50-50% basis (Series 2 models use 75-25% to keep more pushing power on the rear axle). When the rear wheels regain traction it reverts to normal 4H usage as above.

3. Push the lever forward again to (4HLc) and the centre orange difflock light flashes, then remain fixed on when the difflock is engaged.  The dash will display the wording 'Wheel Lock' in green, to show the front freewheeling hubs are locked. The freewheeling hubs remain locked until manually reverted to 4H.

4. If you then depress the lever and move it to the right, or left if you have a manual gear shift, into the low gears (4LLc) then all the lights are on in a fixed mode.

Vehicles with Super Select gears can switch between 2WD and 4WD whilst still moving at speeds up to 55mph or so (I do, so I know it works), providing the vehicle is moving in a straight line when you do it.  Sometimes the green dashboard warning light Wheel Lock does not come on immediately if you are doing less than 3Mph (5Kmh) but will do so when you increase above that speed.

Four wheel drive mode (4WD) gives you more control and road holding on corners. You can drive in 2WD or 4WD on roads or off road with no problems. Difflock is not used on tarmac or other hard surfaced roads, though it also can be engaged whilst moving on hard surfaces.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Greg82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the banging start after you hit the kerb? Does the bangjng happen when accelerating or coasting? Any other details would be handy. Is anything touching the prop shaft?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: