4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:20    Post subject: Newbie questions Reply with quote

I've just joined the group as I'm seriously considering getting a Delica L400 3.0 V6 as a weekend vehicle to possibly convert to a camper at some point.  I use a Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin as a day vehicle and love the Super Select 4WD system giving you the best of all worlds - 2H, 4H, 4H lock and 4L lock.  I'd never heard of the Delica until last weekend when I mentioned to a friend that it's a shame there isn't a van that has this system - then he made reference to the Delica.  So, it's still early days for me and have some questions that I'd like to put to this group.  Go easy on me if they've been asked many times before Smile

1. Am I right in assuming that the Delica D:5 doesn't have the low-range gears?  I rarely use low-range on my Pinin but it's nice to know it's there when the going gets tough.  As a bit of background, I like to go metal detecting on farmers' fields and occasional low-range is handy for the more challenging bits.  I've had a few non-4WD campers in the past and all have got stuck at some point or another so 4WD is the way to go.

2. Focusing on the L400, I've seen one for sale with the high roof and a suspension lift.  This could be ideal for rutty tracks but I wonder how it affects the stability of the vehicle especially when driving on tarmac around corners.  Any thoughts or experience here please?  Suspension lifts good or bad?  High roof vs standard roof?

3. Any recommendations please to reputable companies which import and potentially upgrade Delicas?  I'd prefer to make my purchase a pleasant and well-managed, hiccup-free event and happy to pay for good service.

4. Am I right in assuming the later the registration year the better assuming newer is good or are there any particular years or versions to avoid?  I'd be looking for a low mileage, rust-free minter or as close as possible

5. Anyone in Lincolnshire or thereabouts got a Delica that I could have a look at and a chat with?  

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Welcome to the club forum.

1. If you are looking to off-road, then forget about a D:5.

2. Some state a 'Suspension lft', when all they have done is replace worn and saggy rear springs, which has put the vehicles back level, where it was when it left the factory or they have wound up the front end Torsion bars and claimed it is a suspension lift.

Any that have done expensive 2" plus lifts do need to advise their insurers, who will gladly raise the premium to match.

Effectively you cannot raise the axle height, without putting on larger wheels, i.e. larger than the 15" OEM Alloys.  though some think putting in spacers between the axles and body chassis is a lift. a 30”x9.5” tyre is the largest that will go on a 15" wheel, without having to modify the front wheel arches.

The Delica comes with or without a switch controlled electronic suspension, which is a method of stiffening or softening the suspension, via the shock absorbers. When in 'Sport' mode the suspension stiffens up for on road use, which helps on corners and roundabouts. softening the suspension for offroad comfort can leave some feeling seasick.

The initial design of the L400 was released in late 1994, since then there has been an upgrade to a Series 2 in 2006, which is effectively nothing more than a cosmetic change to the front end and an electronic fuel injector. With a Series 2 there is a problem with no dealership having diagnostic software for the ECU (Grey Import problem), so sorting them out is a headache. Other than that the rest of the system is the same, since 1994, though upgrades have removed redundant systems. So effectively they are all the same under the shell, apart from the engine size, shape and power output.

I have had three 2.8TD models and would not swap any of them for a Petrol V6.

Typo’s edited out.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:21; edited 1 time in total
SteveP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback Lewis and three great vehicles there!

I'm wary of a suspension lift now on multiple counts but you've put me in a better place to ask the right questions if I show interested in a lifted example.

Also it's good to hear positive feedback re the diesel engines and I feel I should look more into this.  What mpg are you getting and have you experienced any issues with the 2.8TD?

Cheers
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, all 4WD Delicas have high and low range boxes. (There are some 2WD models, distinguishable by having 5 stud wheels, where 4x4s have 6 stud.

Last edited by andyman on Thu Aug 19, 2021 16:52; edited 1 time in total
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPG is around 22-23 around my local hilly area and town area. when I get out on the road it ups to 25'ish and then if cruising'comfortably' on Motorways, I get around 26-28. When Over in France and Spain it was noticably better, as their fuel's calorific value is higher than the crap sold in the UK.

I don't get any particular issues with my Deli, with regard to normal service stuff and the only major issue I had was replacing my rear crankshaft seal, which I did myself in Spain.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
SteveP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis Smile
SteveP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Also, all 4WD Delicas have high and low range boxes. (There are some 2WD models, distinguishable by having 5 stud wheels, where 4x4s have 6 stud.

Thanks andyman - I didn't know that so thanks for the tip.  6 studs for me then Smile
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 22 mpg is for diesels!
I've had both. Now with the v6, but also with lpg.
Closer to 18mpg on the petrol 🙁 16 mpg on lpg, but the speedo is not accurate, so who knows what I'm doing. 😕.

Mine has 18" wheels, wound up HD torsion bars, and big springs on the back, with Adjustable panhard rod.

It definitely does not drive as smooth as my old Deli, with just standard size munroe shocks.

The old Deli, however had been wound up a bit on the front, and "Andyj" springs on the back. Lovely smooth ride without wallowing either. I miss her despite all her other faults!, but the v6 is a pleasure do drive, and the engine, power, and sound are great.

I'm looking at getting some different shocks and springs, but it's not desperate as I've put up with the ride for about three years.

Get yourself a test ride first. 👍
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, welcome - can be a madhouse here - but fun.  Smile
Low roof/high roof. I have a high roof, 2.8 Diesel. If I had to replace my Deli, it would be the same.

L400 models - There are lots of variables (grade options) depending on what the original buyer wanted.
The "Optional Extras" can be mind blowing.

Interior lighting, sunroof/s, curtains, electric folding mirrors, suspension, interior heating controls and more.
Mine has an extra factory fitted grab handle by the sliding door, not seen on another Delica.

I have to agree with Lewis - 2.8 Diesel 4WD. Tho, not tried later models.

BTW. Achieved 29 MPG from the Stafford meet  Smile

All The Best in your search.

Mr D
SteveP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deker - I'm tempted with the high roof too but have you found height barriers a problem?  Multi-storey car parks are off limits of course but I see more open air car parks having them.  My eyes widened when you said 'Stafford meet'!  So do you Delica guys meet up occasionally and, if so, when's the next one?  It'd be nice to see a few Delicas in the flesh before pulling the plug.  There are none near me that I know of (Lincoln).
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a section called Events, take a look.

There is/was talk of a Scottish meet, not a lot of interest shown  Sad

The proposed part of Scotland is around 500 miles each way for me.
Now the wrong side of 80, I have to admit that's a a long way for me drive these years
As I found with the Stafford meet. About 140 ish miles each way, plus a bit of Off Roading, got a bit tired  Rolling Eyes

A few days in the Lake camping District next week - with a partner and weather dependant.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we managed 16-17 Delicas of all types at the Staffordshire/Wood Farm Meet, which is the most Delicas I have seen together in all my 11 years of Deli ownership, but coming out of lockdown and making it a Fixing/Laning/Camping and 25th Anniversary special meet in a central location with tyhree months promotion might have helped!
Delicas are not as common as they once were, and prices seem to be on the up. Like any old car, structural rust is the big killer, and not always obvious, so poke about thoroughly underneath.

The spring Adventure Overland Show at Stratford-on-Avon racecourse usually sees a few of us get together (moreso, generally than the autumn, end of September show). Keep an eye on the "Events" section - anyone can propose a meet, and hopefully, a few of us can make it.

Good hunting, keep your rose-tinted specs off, and don't be shy in asking for further advice on your prospective purchase.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker, you may be in luck - weather forecast for Coniston shows mainly dry for most of next week, which is about as much as you can hope for in the Lake District!
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have probably got another diesel, but my last was like painting the fourth bridge, mainly due to not being looked after or treated for rust before it was too late.
I found the v6 as a fresh import with only 55k on the clock, and as good as new underneath, so budgeted for cavity wax, and lpg conversion when I purchased.
If you can find a good diesel, go for it, but if your planning on converting it to camp, that will take up enough of your time without all the other little jobs.
Remember, with any vehicle, age takes its toll, and they are the same as any other, so unless you are a man of leisure, with cash to spend, get the newest, best condition you can, or you will find your time dissapears just keeping it going.
Most of the newer, are petrol., hence my choice, and oh, did I mention the sound? 🔊
Hth. Good luck. 👍
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason that most of the newer ones are petrol is that later diesels had electronically controlled injector pumps, for which there was no diagnostic equipment in the UK, so hard to fix if it went wrong. So most of the diesels are older, and therefore more likely to be rusty + all the other issues of age, eg perished rubber bits, suspension bushes etc, although, hopefully most rubber bits will have been replaced, but not necessarily.
SteveP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the top tips guys and hope to see you at a future meet one day Smile
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
I think the reason that most of the newer ones are petrol is that later diesels had electronically controlled injector pumps, for which there was no diagnostic equipment in the UK, so hard to fix if it went wrong.

Turns out that the Series 1 mechanical pump and ECU can replace the later electronic pump, with updated ECU software, which solves the problem, but does mean pumps and ECu's are getting more scarce.

ルイス
Cumbria91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, recently got a Delica myself, certainly no regrets thus far, though it took me two years to finally pull the trigger on the right one, I went for a 94 LWB hi top, no sun roofs etc.. and she’s a beauty, been very well looked after all her life, few things I need to do to it now to upgrade and ensure a prolonged life for the old girl but i think she’s gunna be worth every penny, but yeh just take your time don’t rush in as there’s plenty bad apples out there...
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

my previous diesel version of similar vintage rotted away to nothing underneath so have a good look at the sills. An annoying death of van I had by that point spent a fair bit of cash on.
SteveP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the last two replies guys - only just seen them.  

Good news - I'll be picking up my chosen Delica in a couple of weeks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: