4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Rear seat belts a pain to use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 13:06    Post subject: Rear seat belts a pain to use Reply with quote

Hi all,

probably as a result of infrequent use, when people want to unroll the rear seatbelts they often jam and take several attempts before the belt releases and allows the user to clip in. Then it seems whilst driving they continue to lock, slowly tightening on the user in an uncomfortable way.
I haven't yet removed the units to look at them, but is this just a question of something needing some lubrication?
I don't want to render the belts dangerous and I am hesitant to blindly spray lubricant into the unit in case it would damage the belt itself.
If anyone has encountered and solved similar issues I would like to hear from them.
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 13:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the third row ones, middle ones are okay
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having this issue with friends in the van last week I now find I am unable to reproduce the problem when yanking on the belts just now, so an intermittent problem.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just that your friends were pulling them too fast, and inducing the inertia locking mechanism? I've had cars like that; you have to learn to pull them slowly. Annoying, none-the-less.
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, but no, when they lock up it is impossible to pull even the first half inch out. Then you have to keep trying to push a bit of slack in quickly, before trying to ease out the belt slowly.
I guess I will just live with it as it is rare that we use the rear seats, but a bit annoying for everyone when we do!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:24    Post subject: Re: Rear seat belts a pain to use Reply with quote

jim_lewis1 wrote:
I don't want to render the belts dangerous and I am hesitant to blindly spray lubricant into the unit in case it would damage the belt itself.

Don't spray anything into them. They are greased internally, on the spindle, spraying lube into them will result in the grease being thtnned and washed out.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jim.
But that is how it is with seat belts, only this afternoon, in a Ford multi seat vehicle I suffered the same effect as passenger  Sad

Mr D
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check they are mounted at the right angle. They are sensitive to the angle they are mounted and will lock automatically at the wrong angle (IE if the car tips over).
Someone may have removed them in the past ( not sure why?)

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often removed when converting to campers, with boarded out sides, then replaced if they have sold the vehicle and retained the innards for another one.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: