Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

nearly 30-year old van ownership joys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:58    Post subject: nearly 30-year old van ownership joys Reply with quote

Noticed a tad lack of power going up hills recently. Then something started clanking and banging.

So had a ratch around underneath.

Lack of power you say? That'll be the waste gate actuator not actually being attached to the actual wastegate anymore.
And oh, is that an exhaust manifold bolt basically almost entirely loose?  Shocked
Massive hole in exhaust, just past the silencer.
Exhaust also suspended by only one hanger, the two on the silencer box having disintegrated and let go.
Is that gear oil all over the underside? Yes, it is, and it appears to be coming from that newly replaced pinion seal!

0n top of that, it's also raining inside the van in several places, even after having "redone" a lot of the work to the roof, again, last spring.

What the h*ll.  Mad   Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

dontknow  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delica's, Best thing in the world to stop you getting bored!

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!  Laughing  Ain't that the truth!
As soon as I'd calmed down (somewhat) about this, the masochist in me did indeed think, "ah well, it's stuff to tinker with".

Said masochist was swiftly told to keep its nuggets of wisdom to itself, mind.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, can anyone tell me whether the pin that is supposed to be attached to the little wastegate "lever" (i.e. the bit that holds the actuator rod onto the lever, what I suppose would have had some retaining clip/split pin or sommat) is actually supposed to come apart from the lever itself? Whatever was there had been distintegrated to a stump (including split pin), which I have now ground pretty much flat, expecting it to release from a hole in the lever... but given there appears to be no movement whatsoever, I'm now wondering whether lever and pin were once one piece?

If so, this is going to be another one of those interesting bodges...  Rolling Eyes
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, but it doesn't sound likely. Would I need to remove the driver's seat to see it? Sounds like the sort of attachment that would use either a split pin or a R clip.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, nope, you should be able to see it from underneath, the actuator bottom end is right where the exhaust meets the turbo/manifold. But don't worry, to be honest I'm going to try to bodge it... I suspect the only way of drilling out what remains of that pin would be extracting the turbo.

... which probably could do with a rebuild...  Laughing
ClockworkOwl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you can make a hole in the lever where the pin is pressed in, you could take the wastegate actuator off, and use a M3 or M2.5 bolt to make the pin.
Either way would work, but I think you're right about taking the turbo off to fix the lever. At least the actuator is easy to remove.
Making a hole may just be possible, but it's bloomin' tight round there and awkward to...
 Good luck
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 18:39    Post subject: Re: nearly 30-year old van ownership joys Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:

0n top of that, it's also raining inside the van in several places, even after having "redone" a lot of the work to the roof, again, last spring.

What the h*ll.  Mad   Sad

A company called Pondkeeper can supply a cheap Pond Liner. I used it to waterproof the roof of a garden shed. Well pleased  Smile

Maybe possible to apply said material to car roof. Use "Brush on" Evilstik glue. (Evostick)

Mr D
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha... thanks Deker!

Funny you should mention that, I have seriously considered getting some of the thicker vinyl "wrap" and just covering the roof in it.
I am honestly thinking this is going to be the only option left.

Having said that ... I also considered chopping the whole bl**dy thing off and somehow building a fibreglass "pop top" a la PinkPig.
This suggestion was met with abject horror from 't wife though, you insists that the Crystalite windows are one of what makes it "unique".

Unique and leaky.  Rolling Eyes
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, thinking about it, some form of liner to just figure out where the bl**dy hell it's still leaking from, may not be such a bad idea!
At the moment I just really don't understand anymore.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

My poptop has an opening skylight for the tupperware crystallite equivalent. And if you leave open in a storm you can still get that leaky interior feel Wink

(Yes that is speaking from experience Rolling Eyes )

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some horribly rusty/leaky L300 Expresses owned by Australian FB contributors. It seems the leaks start in or around the gutters, these being mainly solid steel flat-tops (no glass in the roof), and possibly the mastic in the gutters hardens, shrinks and cracks more in the hot Australian sun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: